aberdeen-music

worst tastes in music?

Guest Zeenat Aman

Guest DustyDeviada
My taste can be pretty suspect...I also like Simon & Garfunkel' date=' plus folks like Melanie, George Formby, the Strawbs, Gong, Freddie & the Dreamers, Julie London, the Monkees, Manfred Mann, Hank Williams, Jake Thackray, the Ian Campbell Folk Group, Dory Previn etc etc[/quote']

Full marks for S&G, George Formby, Hank Williams and others on the list, but The Strawbs? Are ye wise min? ;)

Does Fish by any chance play stuff off Script for a jesters tear on his solo tours?

also recommend me one of his solo albums to check out

I like my prog ALOT

if that helps

Solo albums, thats easy - Field of Crows or Vigil in a eilderness of Mirrors (tho that could actually be a Marillion album).

Hmmm, in the time I've been seeing Fish live I've heard him do Script for a Jesters Tear, Garden Party, He knows you Know, Forgotten Sons, Market Square Heroes, and an amazing acoustic version of Chelsea Monday. The setlist he used in May was:

Big Wedge

Moving Targets

Brother 52

Numbers

The Pilgrim's Address

Innocent Party

Long Cold Day

Family Business

Goldfish and Clowns

Credo

Misplaced Childhood

Market Square Heroes

A pretty good set I think, especially as Misplaced is 45 minutes long ! You certainly always get your money's worth at a Fish concert, if the vocals are a bit dodgy the banters superb.

Cheers

Stuart

Wait a minute' date=' are Marillion not just a crap version of Genesis?[/quote']

Nope, they sound very little alike except for one song called Grendel that Marillion haven't played since 1983, and the fact Fish wore make up on stage ala Peter Gabriel. It was typical lazy journalism, they were the same genre, but so were bands like Pallas, Pendragon etc. I'm not sure how anyone can hear anything of Genesis in latter day Marillion, tho Fish was asked to join Genesis when Phil Collins left, he refused.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest Zeenat Aman
Nope' date=' they sound very little alike except for one song called Grendel that Marillion haven't played since 1983, and the fact Fish wore make up on stage ala Peter Gabriel. [/quote']

Bollocks, his whole aproach was gabriel influenced. They way he sang, stage character and make up.

Listen here, VERY Genesis especially the vocals of derek dick.

shite song one

shite song two

Bollocks' date=' his whole aproach was gabriel influenced. They way he sang, stage character and make up.

Listen here, VERY Genesis especially the vocals of derek dick.

shite song one

shite song two

I disagree that its Genesis-y I have to say, sounds different to me. There are as much of Yes and Van De Graff Generator as Genesis. Bearing in mnind I'm not a huge fan of early Genesis, but after tthe comparisons I tried to like them but couldnt.

Tony Banks and Peter Gabriel have both said that they dont see the similarities after the first album and Tony even featured Fish on 2 of his solo albums.

I'd say that DD's vocals are possibly the most Genesisy thing about them.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest Zeenat Aman
I disagree that its Genesis-y I have to say' date=' sounds different to me. There are as much of Yes and Van De Graff Generator as Genesis.

[/quote']

o_O Ok, what ever you say min.

Guest Zeenat Aman
We're never going to agree are we :p

Are you around a week today I have some CDs for you and we could meet for a drink or something.

Cheers

Stuart

Umm, not really able to venture out much, why not post them?

Or perhaps we should rely on traditional methods and just rehearse without hearing the cd's?

Guest Zeenat Aman
Well they have one thing in common - Marillion's so called masterpiece Script For A Jester's Tear currently resides at the price of 3 quid in FOPP.

I thought the G albums were 7?

Guest bluesxman
I thought the G albums were 7?

No idea, it's not something I would be looking for, someone else made a comment about Genesis albums in the FOPP bargain rail and that's what I referred to. 7 quid ain't the bargain rail to me. On that note, I see that FOPP have mysteriously repriced the Interpol Antics CD at 10 quid after it was on the fiver rack for ages. Cynical pricing following the festivals?

My taste can be pretty suspect...I also like Simon & Garfunkel' date=' plus folks like Melanie, George Formby, the Strawbs, Gong, Freddie & the Dreamers, Julie London, the Monkees, Manfred Mann, Hank Williams, Jake Thackray, the Ian Campbell Folk Group, Dory Previn etc etc[/quote']

I once travelled from Aberdeen to Glasgow on the train with Ian Campbell, nice bloke....is he still on the go?

G...