aberdeen-music

anybody own a motorbike here ?

lepeep

I was just wondering, where can you pick up the motorbike highway code ?

you know, the one where the speedlimits are trebled and the page where "driving on chevrons" has been omitted.

I fucking hate motorbikes. They look cool, just a shame the pricks that own them are a bunch of self obsessed tossers who like getting people to look at them purely because they are sitting on a BIG ENGINE....rar. (wow).

rant over.

its not just motorbikes that are annoying. Countesswells road had a 10mph speed limit after they laid new surface or something recently. I was breaking the rules myself, trundling along at 20 (rebellious). As hypocritical as it is, a lot of drivers think the rules are for everyone expect them. This was going through my head as people overtook at 70mph.

Guest b-bert

That is a bit harsh. There are many fools on motorbikes, but as many in cars.

In general most drivers or riders of anything are a pain in the ass.

But did you see in Glasgow a guy was killed by a biker doing 100 in the city centre. He only got 4 1/2 years, should have been life.

That is a bit harsh. There are many fools on motorbikes' date=' but as many in cars.

In general most drivers or riders of anything are a pain in the ass.

But did you see in Glasgow a guy was killed by a biker doing 100 in the city centre. He only got 4 1/2 years, should have been life.[/quote']

I think that's the thing, to do the speeds (and acceleration) in a car, you'd have to have a nutty car, and be as big a brass neck as anything.

Granted, I'd have half the car users in blighty off the road in a flash, but, (and this is my perception), EVERY bike I see over a 125cc IS DRIVEN BY A COCK.

0 - 60 in 3 seconds ? (something like that)...that's too scary for words.

not all bike riders are cocks. i know someone who had a 650cc and was really careful. only time he had an accident was when someone was driving their folks car for the first time and reversed straight out onto him. luckily it had been raining and he wasnt going too fast as he'd just stopped to put on rain trousers, but he had to skid sideways, jump off the bike and it got written off by being driven over.

what bugs me are push bikes. the amount of people who ride them and go straight through red lights pisses me off sooooooooooooooooo much. its like they think it doesn apply to them and they're like pedestrians. grr

I think that's the thing' date=' to do the speeds (and acceleration) in a car, you'd have to have a nutty car, and be as big a brass neck as anything.

Granted, I'd have half the car users in blighty off the road in a flash, but, (and this is my perception), EVERY bike I see over a 125cc IS DRIVEN BY A COCK.

0 - 60 in 3 seconds ? (something like that)...that's too scary for words.[/quote']

Some of the big bikes will do 0-100 and back to 0 again in about 11 seconds

and yes thats Mph

Guest ()Papaspyrou()

They say that cars are safer too

crash8.jpg

crash39.jpg

and the story always goes on about how the biker is always killed

pah!

AA_6041_020.jpg

It might'nt look it, but this guy is in full control!

the advert about "look out for each other" cracks me up...

man starts indicating to turn right, starts to turn into the road when it's clear ahead, bang, motorbiker hits him on the right side.

WHO THE FUCK OVERTAKES CARS TURNING RIGHT ?

"look out for each other"...

reminds me of one of the viz top tips,

motorists, slow and stop at green light, look both ways before proceeding, BIlly Idol might be coming your way on his motorbike.

Off the top of my head: Bikers account for 5% of the motoring population in britain yet account for 1 in 5 fatal road accidents. Now obviously you stand more chance of walking away from an accident in a car that is still a worrying statistic.

I think the mind set of bikers has a lot to do with their behaviour. In most cases a car is a tool from getting from A to B. People use it to go to work and the shops etc etc. They wish to arrive at their destination safely in a practical way.

Bikes on the other hand tend to be for pleasure. Buy a big bike and head out on a sunny day with your friends to thrash a long a country road. Now, obviously some people use cars in that way and some people use bikes to travel to and from work, but I think there is a very obvious difference in the numbers of people doing each activity.

A bike has super car performance but for a fraction of the cost...for a few thousand pounds you can buy a machine that'll easily transport you to 60 in about 3 or 4 seconds...a car of the same speed is almost unobtainable for most. The only car I have driven with that performance had an engine from guess what...a bike!

Bikes can be safe and good fun <especially if you go to a race track> but there are a lot of riders who don't have the skill or conscience to ride in a manner safe for the public road...that's why they die, get speeding tickets and generally piss a lot of people off.

Guest b-bert
the advert about "look out for each other" cracks me up...

man starts indicating to turn right' date=' starts to turn into the road when it's clear ahead, bang, motorbiker hits him on the right side.

WHO THE FUCK OVERTAKES CARS TURNING RIGHT ?

"look out for each other"...

reminds me of one of the viz top tips,

motorists, slow and stop at green light, look both ways before proceeding, BIlly Idol might be coming your way on his motorbike.[/quote']

most drivers around aberdeen seem to have forgotten what indicators are.

But the point is right car drivers do need to be crefull of bikes as they are harder to see in your mirrors.

Bike riders are only more difficult to see in your mirrors if they sit in a blind spot or put themselves in areas of danger. Ofcourse car drivers should be observant <many aren't> but bikers must take responsibility and learn to drive defensivly...it starts with wearing high vis, using headlamps at all times etc etc.

It isn't a common occurance to see riders on rural roads adopting the correct road positioning. Only last week I had an on coming biker on a left hand bend <right for him> with his head almost coming across the white line. He should have been on the outside of the turn. I was postioned towards the center line on my side <the correct position for a left hand bend> and his head must have been very close to the side of the car. That is an example of where someone has put them selves in danger and made if difficult for the car driver to "look out for them"

Guest b-bert
Bike riders are only more difficult to see in your mirrors if they sit in a blind spot or put themselves in areas of danger. Ofcourse car drivers should be observant <many aren't> but bikers must take responsibility and learn to drive defensivly...wearing high vis' date=' using headlamps at all times etc etc[/quote']

hehe

just imagine a big guy on a harley wearing a yellow high vis vest. a good idea but it will not catch on. Headlamps on at all times is a must though. They should also keep back from cars.

Jumping red lights on a bicycle is the best thing about cycling places. A bike can get anywhere in glasgow city centre faster than a car.

But the point is right car drivers do need to be crefull of bikes as they are harder to see in your mirrors.

so if you saw someon in a car, indicating RIGHT, and you were driving a car, you think "fuck him" and overtake him ? (err.....NOPE).

I understand the point about cars having to look left and right pulling OUT of a junction, but from a main road INTO a side street ? (like the advert shows).

I knew a lady who edged out onto the ellon / aberdeen road to cross it (newburgh turn off over to the "back roads to dyce", she was edging out and a bike going 40+ over the chevrons smacked right into her bonnet. He was banned from driving. (and got two broken legs for his 'skills')

I understand the point about cars having to look left and right pulling OUT of a junction' date=' but from a main road INTO a side street ? (like the advert shows).

[/quote']

Well mirror, near side mirror, signal, mirror should be sufficient to avoid any accidents with motor cyclists overtaking on the right...that said anyone who overtakes a car that is indicating to turn right is indeed an idiot. That could also apply to anyone overtaking a car that has slowed but given no signal at a junction as well...a situation like that is only going to arise if the biker puts them self into it.