aberdeen-music

explosions in the sky last night

Guest stuartmaxwell

Guest stuartmaxwell

what a fantastic gig!

funktree werent really my thing at all.

bikini atoll came on and won me over instantly, fucking ace, very cool sonics on the synth and well written tunes, i bought the cd and its not as good as the show

explosions were absolutely sublime, one of the best things i have ever seen, the end of "memorial" was amazing, the band were totally going for it and the loudness (to quote sharon drakes) "sent shivers through me", i am lost for words at how good this shopw was, this was a truly great performance and well appreciated by the crowd, perhaps one iof the best gigs i have ever been to

i was intrigued as to how this show would go down, and the majority of the crowd loved it

what did everyone else think?

it wasn't really my thing at all, i wasn't expecting instrumental, but i could tell that it was well received by a lot of people there that were very much pleased to see EITS play aberdeen. i'd agree with the loudness / intensity of the gig, my ears at one point started crying, they haven't done that since the last time i saw 7SU, purveyors of loudness.

i liked simple kid more, but then i'm a simple kind of guy.

edit: didn't the bearded guy from EITS look like Alan Cumming?

Guest neil ex

i liked bikini atoll, thought they were quite good. i liked the instrumental bits best...

eits did sound alot like mogwai i thought which seemed a bit disapointing for me even though they did sound really good and created a great atmosphere... they made a right racket at the end, which was quite probably the highlight of their set for me. it was loud!

funktree had a really nice guitar sound but really, they were the wrong band for the gig.

bikini atoll were pretty good. had some good songs. they did manage to disappoint me by playing the obligatory instrumental song. Nothing against instrumentals but sometimes I think bands like them think they HAVE to put an instrumental in their set, and it ends up being a lot weaker than their other songs.

Explosions were very much over-hyped I thought. Good but nothing particularly amazing.

I thought they were great for the 2 minutes when they went mental, but it look a lot of work getting there. I got the feeling I might have had a better time if I hadn't been completely straight/sober.

Simple Kid was magic though, great songs and just a good entertainer. I really could have done without the dancing twat though, he kinda spoiled it really.

Mr Milne was pure class as usual...

Guest stuartmaxwell

yeah i too was completely sober for the gig and the night in moshulu-it was somewhat refreshing to see a gig from another perspective

the guitarist on the left looked like he had one of those plastic glue on beards

come to think of it the bikini atoll cd is pretty wank actually, shame, they were stunning live

I thought the dancing twat was very entertaining,he certainly gave Simple Kid some fuel for thought ,and he responded with great wit,later on at Drummonds,the dancing twat turned up and once more was nearly as entertaining as the acts,so I asked him to audition for oor band!,yep we are really scraping the barrel now,but what's the alternative?.Simople Kid=COOL Explosions in the sky=overhyped.Bikin Atoll,worth a second look.

Guest stuartmaxwell
Originally posted by Frosty Jack:

It also means you can remember it the next day, which is a bonus I find. btw I was keeping an eye on you,well done...

i was gonna say hi but didnt cos i wasnt sure if it was you, ian later pointed out that it was you

you certainly live up to your name by wearing that heeuge jacket in a roasting frummonds, see you on sunday

Explosions were fantastic, Bikini Atoll at times were superb.

The highlights:

Yasmin The Lights - Explosions

The guitarists in Explosions all hitting their instruments in unison.

Bikini Atoll's Black Dog and new songs.

Mark's beard (Explosions)

Rory aka Sex Pest Sidca's drunken state

The lows:

The shitty attitudes of the staff on the night.

The only bit that did blow me away was when I was talking to stuartmaxwell, I got out of range of the noise before that and stupidly went into the middle of the room to wind up maxi 20 secs before they went to warp speed. But only at the end.

p.s. They weren't very amiable and turned up with all the equipment 45 mins before the first band were due on.:swearing:

Guest stuartmaxwell
Originally posted by ragudave:

I enjoyed the EITS gig apart from...

1) One guy who started clapping above his head.

Dave

i had the pleasure of tsanding behind that monkey,

Explosions were incredible. Rounded off a brilliant week, having seen APC the friday before.

Bikini Atoll had some ace songs, but also had some really pap ones in my opinion.

Funktree were a very poor version of the Eagles in my opinion. Terrible lyrics too, "last train home from Translvania" for example.

Got totally hammered afterwards and bought a doner kebab pizza :puke:

Originally posted by bobyn:

do they make cups of tea behind the bar at drummonds?

that would be nice. they didn't when we used to play saturday afternoon gigs - missing a trick there i thought... but yep, nothing better than a good band and a cup of tea. the belmont is the only place i can think of that serves tea/coffee.

sorry for the thread steal, carry on.