aberdeen-music

Bands that get worse with every album

The Milner

agreed' date=' mogwai are still "good", but, since Young Team, they have (in my book) been steadily running out of Ideas.

young team STILL makes me go "jeesus, taht's good"...where as the silver jobber (last lp)...is "nice background music for a dinner party".

hardly worth writing home about.

"now you're taken" (bmx hero's EP) Vs ANYTHING off the last lp ? (no contest).

"like herod" Vs "moses I amn't"....zzzzzzz

It took me 3 LP's to realise that mogwai were getting worse, and that was a sad day, but I've moved on now...I wish they weren't, but, they are. (in my book).[/quote']

I agree with all of that.

For me, Young Team will always be one of the greatest albums ever recorded.

Everything else they've done since is, well, okay, but never as magical as that album.

Their earlier EPs and the Xmas Steps EP are up there with their best work too.

To be honest, I base my high opinion of Mogwai more because of their live show than their recorded output as a whole.

agreed' date=' mogwai are still "good", but, since Young Team, they have (in my book) been steadily running out of Ideas.

[/quote']

That's your opinion but in the name of debate, I'm going to reply. I would say that Mogwai are one of the few bands that have maintained a high standard of music while evolving at the same time. They've brought in different influences (more elaborate song structures, electronics) which I enjoy. I wouldn't say they've gotten worse but I wouldn't say that they've really gotten better either; just different.

"like herod" Vs "moses I amn't"....zzzzzzz

like herod vs. ratts of the capital? now there's a different story all together. all the mogwai albums have fine fine songs... like herod, r u still into it, yes! i am a long way from home, cody, ex-cowboy, christmas steps, dial: revenge, 2 wrongs make 1 right, you don't know jesus, hunted by a freak, killing all the flies, i know you are but what am i? there's 3 off of each album that i couldn't really choose between...

anyway, the song nick drake rules them all.

well...we will have to differ on this point,

I understand that mogwai have evolved, but, in the evolution of the sound, I think they dropped the bits that made them "special". (they were getting a slagging for "quiet, loud, quiet", but "quiet, quiet, quiet" ?...

I'd happily go see them live still, one of the best gigs I ever went to was them in Tunnels for the young team tour.

Lifeblood? Awesome?

It's the dreariest set of tracks ever put to vinyl by MSP. If ever a band needed to stop it was the Manics after "The Holy Bible".

It was easily their best since the holy bible for me. Probably my second favourite MSP album, although that might have been different if they'd only recorded the first half of generation terrorists.

It was easily their best since the holy bible for me. Probably my second favourite MSP album' date=' although that might have been different if they'd only recorded the first half of generation terrorists.[/quote']

I'd say third or fourth best. It's certainly better than Know Your Enemy, now that was a piece of shit and probably better than This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours.

Guest bluesxman
Lifeblood was awesome' date=' and Smash is my favourite offspring album, so i'll have to disagree with the manics and offspring.[/quote']

Sorry meant to specify after Smash. Love that album.

Guest bluesxman

Did anyone else find it strange that around the time of Everything Must Go, the Manics suddenly became the darlings of people who would normally be listening to say, Oasis? I went to see them at the Music Hall on that tour and the place was full of arses who I imagine would never have listened to Motown Junk because it was done by a bunch of make up wearing poofs.

Did anyone else find it strange that around the time of Everything Must Go' date=' the Manics suddenly became the darlings of people who would normally be listening to say, Oasis? I went to see them at the Music Hall on that tour and the place was full of arses who I imagine would never have listened to Motown Junk because it was done by a bunch of make up wearing poofs.[/quote']

Nothing suprising about it because the Manics ceased to be poofs in makeup and most these people didn't know they existed before A Design For Life came out.