aberdeen-music

Mercury Shortlist 2005

Larsen B

Re: the nationality debate.

Antony may have grown up outside the uk but was born here (and possibly holds a british passport?) so qualified through a musical equivalent of the "granny rule" in football. At the same time' date=' i'm pretty sure that M.I.A. was actually born in Sri Lanka, but moved here as a child and was still nominated, so who knows what the criteria were.

As far as i'm concerned, "I Am A Bird Now" is a lovely record, and i'm glad its win has set the cat among the pigeons. It's better than the shitey Kaiser Chiefs winning. I'm sure they'll get their day at the Brits.[/quote']

I have to agree, it's the best thing I've heard this year. Worthy winners

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought KT Tunstall's performance on the night was great, I love that track layering with a sampler, very honest, one mistake and the whole things shot to shit...

So I thought she was very good. But I am Glad jolly old Anthony won.

I also liked the Polar Bear performance on the night, reminded me of madness a bit(?!)...

at least the Awards (when announced) made me go out and buy the two Polar Bear lp's, I was that impressed with the jazz they were making.

maximo park and kaiser chiefs did not deserve to win it

err...they didn't....

ho ho

What's the difference between James Blunt and Antony? Antony is American, he has not touched the public consciousness and he is far too ugly to ever be truly huge (as in successful, fat fighters!). Thus he is safe for the professional "serious" pop music fans (another oxymoron) on this site to like.

I'm not condemning this attitude, just stop pretending Antony is anything more substantial

Good album' date=' but not a classic by any stretch.

You heard any Super_Collider stuff? "Darn Cold Way of Loving" was a brilliant song, but the album has to rate as one of the worst I've ever bought. And it was about 2.50 in Canadania.[/quote']

rubbish...

JL's album is an instant classic (IMHO).

I got into JL by being into Supercollider...

if anything "muddlin gear" put me off JL...

and I only checked out the promo tracks of "multiply" to have a laugh, to see what "fucked up eletronic jazz" he was putting out now, I have to say, pleasently supprised..

it's my LP of the year.

I also think that Supercollider are a more abstract PigeonHed (shawn smith : brad, satchel etc)..fantastic vocalist too.

http://www.subpop.com/bands/pigeonhed/website/that.html

What's the difference between James Blunt and Antony? Antony is American' date=' he has not touched the public consciousness and he is far too ugly to ever be truly huge (as in successful, fat fighters!). Thus he is safe for the professional "serious" pop music fans (another oxymoron) on this site to like.

I'm not condemning this attitude, just stop pretending Antony is anything more substantial[/quote']

ho ho, and your ears are painted on, if you think james blunt is the same as AatJ's

no way.

james blunt rhymes with cunt making it easier to mock him. :)

plus james cunt resorts to secondary school level songs with a chorus designed to be sang at 2.30 in the morning by lecherous drunk neds at made up slappers standing in line for their chips and curry sauce. it's shite, and i could fart more geniunely emotional songs in my sleep.

antony and the johnsons at least have a sound of their own and seem to sing with geniune emotion, in my opinion anyhow.

What's the difference between James Blunt and Antony? Antony is American' date=' he has not touched the public consciousness and he is far too ugly to ever be truly huge (as in successful, fat fighters!). Thus he is safe for the professional "serious" pop music fans (another oxymoron) on this site to like.

I'm not condemning this attitude, just stop pretending Antony is anything more substantial[/quote']

nobody said it was "anything more substantial" - everyone that has heard it & liked it thinks it's a worthy winner.

Oh, and that the Kaiser Chiefs are shit.

Stop trying to pseudo-intellectualise pop music & dress it up as if you're highlighting it's transient & populist nature.

And I love the fact you think Antony is "safe" - he's ugly, apparently, gay and, let's face facts, overweight - how you can think this is safe is beyond me.

nobody said it was "anything more substantial" - everyone that has heard it & liked it thinks it's a worthy winner.

Oh' date=' and that the Kaiser Chiefs are shit.

Stop trying to pseudo-intellectualise pop music & dress it up as if you're highlighting it's transient & populist nature.

And I love the fact you think Antony is "safe" - he's ugly, apparently, gay and, let's face facts, overweight - how you can think this is safe is beyond me.[/quote']

and to add, he's a tranny, one of the "safest" things you can be on the TV (ho ho ho)

plus james cunt resorts to secondary school level songs with a chorus designed to be sang at 2.30 in the morning by lecherous drunk neds at made up slappers standing in line for their chips and curry sauce. it's shite' date=' and i could fart more geniunely emotional songs in my sleep.[/quote']

So, pop music that is actually popular rather than that which is worthy and purposefully obscure. One more difference between the two

Oh' date=' and that the Kaiser Chiefs are shit.

And I love the fact you think Antony is "safe" - he's ugly, apparently, gay and, let's face facts, overweight - how you can think this is safe is beyond me.[/quote']

Safe for professional serious- pop-music fans, like you, Dave and daveofficer, who revel in his outsider status. Not safe for the mainstream

Hating something as knowingly disposable as the Kaiser Chiefs is futile. Then again, so is rewarding them for supposed artistry, which is why I'm glad they didn't win, because there isn't any in what they do. Nor is there in what Antony does, which is why I'm complaining

But yeah, better him than a disposable singles band, so everybody's happy :D

So' date=' pop music that is actually popular rather than that which is worthy and purposefully obscure. One more difference between the two[/quote']

i don't know if antony and the jonsons is purposefully obscure, just you cause you haven't heard of them doesn't mean they want it that way. i'd imagine if secretely canadian and rough trade actually had any money they would love to take out full page ads in the nme/smash hits to promote their albums but because they have a habit of signing bands who write honest, emotional but i guess less popular music they tick over nicely but minus the huge multinational corporation advertising budget. regardless, they beat the multinationals and won a major award by sticking to their guns and pretty much getting more promotion than any amount of money could have bought.

also i have constantly failed to see the connection between popularity and quality. the most popular bands are not necessarily the best or most worthy. surely pop music is more of a descriptive term rather than a literal one these days although you could ask how many record sales would it take to be classed as popular music?

why are people talking about jamie lidell in this thread?

i don't know' date=' this is the only page i've read! lolz!

i enjoyed "multiply" more than anything on that list, though[/quote']

cos I am still banging on about him...cos he's amazing, a true undiscovered classic...

I must agree, I enjoyed multiply more than anything on that list too.