aberdeen-music

80s Singing Part Two

betamax

I was about to agree with Bobs thread (a first time for everything) but it got closed.

80S singing is done to death even in its its current re-spewed format and is thus already pointless (as well as sounding a bit shit if its not done superbly well)

almost as passe as the ''spikey angular guitar''......erm, at least a thousand bands cited Gang of Four as their biggest influence last week - fuck off and think for yourselves you twats (and buy some new cds to rip off)

the other thread also covered 'singing in different accents' - why the fuck not? sing in whatever way you want - no rules - even different languages - who cares? - if thats what you wanna do, do it

dunno why Im being sensible today - must be the sun

fuck it

*logs out*

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was about to agree with Bobs thread (a first time for everything) but it got closed.

80S singing is done to death even in its its current re-spewed format and is thus already pointless (as well as sounding a bit shit if its not done superbly well)

almost as passe as the ''spikey angular guitar''......erm' date=' at least a thousand bands cited Gang of Four as their biggest influence last week - fuck off and think for yourselves you twats (and buy some new cds to rip off)

the other thread also covered 'singing in different accents' - why the fuck not? sing in whatever way you want - no rules - even different languages - who cares? - if thats what you wanna do, do it

dunno why Im being sensible today - must be the sun

fuck it

*logs out*[/quote']

Okay so citing a band as an influence means you are not thinking for yourself? And the point i was making in the original thread was that it is hypocritical to criticise current bands for putting on a fake "80s vocal style" when your own vocal style is put on.

Okay so citing a band as an influence means you are not thinking for yourself? And the point i was making in the original thread was that it is hypocritical to criticise current bands for putting on a fake "80s vocal style" when your own vocal style is put on.

Having certain influences isnt the problem but the never ending citing of Gand of Four is a blatant attempt to catch the hip train (that left town fucking ages ago) > the exact same bands will cite a different ''biggest influence'' band in two months time (just like they cited Joy Division previously)....theres a pattern emerging

On fake vocal stylizing....I dont agree or disagree with it, Im just saying that singers should just express themselves in whatever way they want and not give a fuck, although ideally avoidance of styles currently on rotation on MTV2 is probably advisable

why are you whining about people "80's singing" and having "spikey angular guitar"?

as you just said...

nae whining, just an observation really as I just dont see the point to every band in the world (cos it looks like that) doing it to saturation point

its totally allowed obviously, but surely Im allowed to comment if I think its a bit over done?

the point here is > that the majority of the bands endulging in 80s singing and spikey angular guitar are NOT doing what they want to do for themselves, they are just lazily doing something that they presume (like on all bandwagons) is what OTHER people want to hear, basically cos Zane Low catches on to it (after its gone) - and by the time theres a thousand bands in every corner of every town copying GOF etc, most people are fairly bored of it

purely a random observation :D

It's not like everyone starts doing that kind of thing you idiot. It's just that any band that does gets a record deal and that's why we see so many of them. They aren't all bandwagon jumpers.

they are all doing it, Ive been a load of gigs up here and down south and theres gangs of indie boys everywhere apeing MTV2 playlists like kaiser cheifs, futureheads, franz etc....I just hope they know the moment has already gone, to be fair they are just covers bands in a sense

the A&R men who sign them are just playing safe, no risks are taken on anything different, if it works once it might work again, hence the limited shelf life of most new albums (different discussion)

which is fine cos it leaves a lovely void

dont call me an idiot if you want to continue the debate

they are all doing it' date=' Ive been a load of gigs up here and down south and theres gangs of indie boys everywhere apeing MTV2 playlists like kaiser cheifs, futureheads, franz etc....I just hope they know the moment has already gone, to be fair they are just covers bands in a sense

the A&R men who sign them are just playing safe, no risks are taken on anything different, if it works once it might work again, hence the limited shelf life of most new albums (different discussion)

which is fine cos it leaves a lovely void

dont call me an idiot if you want to continue the debate[/quote']

bugger me, it must be the sun, I think i'm agreeing with Betamax...

People should play/sing what they want, be themselves, and can be influenced by whoever they like, but they have to realise certain styles/genres have a limited shelflife if you're not one of the first theres a good chance you wont survive.

Is that the same ?

Cheers

Stuart

bugger me' date=' it must be the sun, I think i'm agreeing with Betamax...

People should play/sing what they want, be themselves, and can be influenced by whoever they like, but they have to realise certain styles/genres have a limited shelflife if you're not one of the first theres a good chance you wont survive.

Is that the same ?

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

yup, same!

but no buggering thanks :D

must def be the weather

the other thread also covered 'singing in different accents' - why the fuck not? sing in whatever way you want - no rules - even different languages - who cares? - if thats what you wanna do' date=' do it

[/quote']

Every Aberdonian who doesn't cover "The muckin o' Geordies Byre" already sings in a different accent so Betamax's omniscience triumphs again.

bugger me' date=' it must be the sun, I think i'm agreeing with Betamax...

Is that the same ?

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

If they have a limited shelflife there's no point in moaning cos they'll soon be gone.

Music is about compromise - the main point is for others to hear what you are doing, so I think you should understand that while you should pursue a course and style of music that you are comfortable with, you should also (maybe subconsciously) realise that what you are doing is ultimately attempting to win the respect and like of other people. That's why you play live and release records.

As for bands that Betamax considers identical like Franz and the Futureheads as part of a new movement, if you listened closely it's blindingly obvious that while they all probably pay homage to the the post-punk aesthetic, it is also equally clear that they have moved on and developed their own interpretations of an original concept. Call it "new wave" or whatever. It seems Betamax from your posts that you are an outsider looking in and lumping artists together that really aren't the same. You don't write for the musical press do you?

Every Aberdonian who doesn't cover "The muckin o' Geordies Byre" already sings in a different accent so Betamax's omniscience triumphs again.

v true but>

if it was that simple and obvious (which i reckon it is) the fighting aboot it on the other thread about it wouldnt have ended in a lock out

not everyone gets the easy stuff obviously

As for bands that Betamax considers identical like Franz and the Futureheads as part of a new movement' date=' if you listened closely it's blindingly obvious that while they all probably pay homage to the the post-punk aesthetic, it is also equally clear that they have moved on and developed their own interpretations of an original concept. Call it "new wave" or whatever. It seems Betamax from your posts that you are an outsider looking in and lumping artists together that really aren't the same. You don't write for the musical press do you?[/quote']

its paying more than homage though, its lifting all the fucking riffs, bass lines, drum patterns, outfits, styles etc, way more than a nod to some influencial groups, its like photocopying a book and selling it as your own imo

like jest says, only the first few will get anywhere, before the public psyche becomes saturated with too much of the same and the next thing the media wants us to suck on takes over

and I do think they are all pretty much the same, but given that I like everything from bootsy collins to melt banana and a bit of everything in between, Im obviouly gonna lump a few guys playing the same chords and wearing the same jackets/ side partings and ripping of a sound from 1980 to 1983, into one category

orange juice anyone? :D

they can carry on like cos its harmless pub background music and keeps a few people happy, but please dont tell me it original/new or interesting or is anything other than a poor quality xerox repacked in a safer way than the original

To take an example, the Futureheads don't look like Gang of Four, don't sound like them, and have nowhere near the same lyrical concerns. A sharp sounding telecaster and a suit and people like you immediately make the link where there are clear differences.

Music is about compromise - the main point is for others to hear what you are doing' date=' so I think you should understand that while you should pursue a course and style of music that you are comfortable with, you should also (maybe subconsciously) realise that what you are doing is ultimately attempting to win the respect and like of other people. That's why you play live and release records.

[/quote']

maybe for you it's about comprimise, but you ought to remember that some people still view music and composing as an art form where expression is the main point, rather than some feeble vehicle for ego.

maybe for you it's about comprimise' date=' but you ought to remember that some people still view music and composing as an art form where expression is the main point, rather than some feeble vehicle for ego.[/quote']

best fucking post on any forum ever

*kneels to new the new god*

To take an example' date=' the Futureheads don't look like Gang of Four, don't sound like them, and have nowhere near the same lyrical concerns. A sharp sounding telecaster and a suit and people like you immediately make the link where there are clear differences.[/quote']

another clear difference is the GOF were very good and the fuckheads are not very good unless your pissed up obviously....actually no, even then they are a bit shit

Boring, why not just like the music that puts a smile on your face, makes you want to dance, makes you want to sing out loud etc regardless of who they've copied, what their influences are and what genre you would class them!

Damn that sounded a bit hippyish, sorry!

Boring' date=' why not just like the music that puts a smile on your face, makes you want to dance, makes you want to sing out loud etc regardless of who they've copied, what their influences are and what genre you would class them!

Damn that sounded a bit hippyish, sorry![/quote']

i also agree with that

probably hypocracy but fuck it, check the fucking weather, IM OFF TO THE PUB!

I think the point is that all the retro re-spewing of 80S music is ok but its not actually worth getting too exited about....diluted real stuff, so diluted its completely harmless

*heads for beer garden*