aberdeen-music

Isle Of Skye Festival

NARC

I can almost guarantee no-one else on the forum went to this apart from the triplet of Jimmy Jazz, Leif Erikson and myself, and that no-one is interested but here is a brief account.

The line up consisted basically of Mylo on the Friday, with The Stranglers, K.T Tunstall and Idlewild headlining on the Saturday. Having no particular desire to see Mylo, we got a day ticket for Saturday and arrived late afternoon. The usual trad-rock was playing when we got there.

*Shudders at cheesy bagpipe shred-solo combo*

Then a rather hilarious combo (good players, great band according to the tent announcer), "Hamish Stuart and Band" came on to rapturous applause. Despite playing every middle-aged jazz/funk/soul card in the pack, they got my toe tapping, especially with the excellent "Queen of Soul" from their 1976 album "Soul Searching".

*Titters*

Then the Stranglers came on. Now I'm not too familiar at all with their material, but were refreshingly light on the punk, as they are now aged veterans and shouldn't be doing that at their ages. Although they are all fine physical specimens. And we all agreed that the tune that sounds like "If You Tolerate This", actually doesn't.

K.T Tunstall was not bad. She isn't my bag (except physically) but put on a good show as I imagine she is terribly light on material. To twist a Jimmy Jaszz quote, she could sure show Dave Officer a thing or two about using delay pedals. However she did try a bit too hard to win over the bam infested crowd.

Then to Idlewild. Took to the stage at about 12.20am at which point I was grumpy and tired despite not doing anything all day. I had been to the Music Hall gig and the set was virtually similar, except they played "I Want a Warning" and "I Wanna Be Sedated". Enjoyable again, less moronic banter and definitely a better feel to the concert when I realised I was actually in a place of scenic beauty whilst listening to their recent songs. Think they are taking a hiatus for a wee while as the drummer is gonna be a father. A predictable gig but a nice set-up for the summer ahead.

Rolled in at Grandma Leif's pad at like 3.15am, whereupon Jimmy Jazz laid a "fat one" in the toilet that refused to go after four consecutive flushes and a bit of probing. Eventually, it took a panzer-attack by some bleach to destroy the big brown monster. Hilariously, in the morning, Leif's octogenarian grandparent wondered why she could smell bleach....

*owned*

Absolute c'nt!!! Stranglers did brilliant covers of the Kinks and Dionne Warwick, although i think "Walk On By" was written by Bacharach? I really rather enjoyed Idlewild having missed them at the music hall through illness. Thought the sound was a bit dodge in places tho, the guitars not being loud enough which is an unusual problem. Was generally fun apart from midgies and the suprising amount of neds. And at least i went to the bother of finding some bleach.

K.T Tunstall was not bad. She isn't my bag (except physically) but put on a good show as I imagine she is terribly light on material. To twist a Jimmy Jaszz quote' date=' she could sure show Dave Officer a thing or two about using delay pedals. However she did try a bit too hard to win over the bam infested crowd.[/quote']

she would, i've never used one :)

a girl from my class was going to the isle of skye festival, sounds like it was fun. i'd love to go to skye.

I can almost guarantee no-one else on the forum went to this apart from the triplet of Jimmy Jazz' date=' Leif Erikson and myself, and that no-one is interested but here is a brief account.

[/quote']

I was gonna go cos i got free guestlist pass but I already had tickets for WWE Smackdown

I was going to go to this but had to work' date=' and my friends were camping, I thought skye would be too windy and cold for camping! Did it rain on the sunday? I heard it was going to[/quote']

The festival was only Friday and Saturday. But it was nice weather on the Sunday too.

I wanted to go see JOC but he was on at 3.30pm with the next decent act on at like 8.30. The festival site was really small with nothing to do but stand really, so we didn't go till later. I would have liked to though.

i went along and had a great time despite the weather and the quagmire/campsite.

handily, my gf fainted and was carried out on a stretcher just before idlewild came on so i spent their set sitting in the first aid place.

a bit pissed off that you weren't allowed glass bottles on the campsite or your own alcohol onto the actual festival site. funnily enough, the organisers seemed surprised when there was a massive queue at the bar.

indeed. in retrospect, might have been an idea to post if anyone else was going.

met a nice girl from aberdeen at 8am on saturday morning. predictably, can't remember a thing about her.

i see there's another festival happening up near inverness in august. :-)