aberdeen-music

Ok, where should we record?

Hog

I've been reading over some of the post's on this thread, and they all raise valid point's, and total " BS!!" in some cases. I worked as a pro session musician for 18 years, and have recorded in some amazing studios where sometimes the end result was terrible. At the end of the day no amount of expensive gear will benefit anyone if they don't know what their doing with it in the first place! The chap from Oceanrock is offering an alternative to some of the other studio facilities in Aberdeen, so where's the harm in that? I'm just about to offer my studio and expertise to local bands at a very reasonable rate. The reason? Because I've heard so many duff recordings come out of studio's in Aberdeen, and I'm amazed that bands continue to shell out money on crap facilities. Exile for example, someone mentioned on here that the studio has it's own production sound? For a start the guy at Exile uses drum replacement software for drum sounds, so your triggering a batch of samples basically. Being a drummer myself, I know that drums can be one of the most challenging instruments to record in the studio, but years of working in studios has taught me how to get an amazing drum sound. Why go to Exile with 5K worth of drumkit just for the guy to trigger samples??

All these bands that go to Tom's to record, they book a 4 hour recording / mixing session and wonder why it sounds crap when they get home? Now full respect to the engineer at Tom's, but doing an Audio Engineering course at the college doesn't nessasarily mean he's a good sound engineer. Also the subject of bad acoustics plays a major part in why demos from small studios usually sound bad. Tom's live room is breeze block with carpet stuck on it? It's always going to produce a boxy, mid sounding honk. As for the Mill, recorded there many times over the years. Always found the recordings lacked any depth to them, and Nial's ears are fried as he always seems to pile on top-end to everything.

Yes you get what you pay for with studios in Aberdeen, but that usually means paying good money on a recording that 9 times out of 10 will sound sub-standard. The problem the chap at Oceanrock faces, is trying to convince local bands that he can do just as good a job, if not better than Tom's or Exile etc. I agree that 25 an hour is quite a bit to shell out, especially for some of the facilities and what they provide. I do think the all-inclusive recording / mixing package is a good idea, and that is what my studio is going to concentrate on.

Here's my all inclusive deal for 250.. 2 x 8 hour recording sessions

1 x 8 hour mixing session.

My advice to any band would be rather that trying to record 12 songs in 4 hours ( like some studios?), Choose your best 3 tracks, and concentrate on getting the most out of the sessions to get those three tracks sounding as good as they can! Here's a link for anyone interested.. The Village Recording Studio

your websites terrible

This thread is 6 years old...

Also bad mouthing your competitors on a public forum isn't the best way of getting new business. Especially a forum where many of those competitors are members or have friends and loyal customers who are members.

The thread is 6 years old! So What??? I don't seem to recall bad mouthing anyone in my previous post? I simply joined in the discussion, isn't that what a forum's all about?

I'm well aware of who the competitors are! That's why I'm offering their customers the option of having another recording facility to use. Something tells me though Chris, that you are one of these small minded musicians who thinks they know it all, and doesn't know a good thing when they see it.

I've heard so many duff recordings come out of studio's in Aberdeen, and I'm amazed that bands continue to shell out money on crap facilities. Exile for example, someone mentioned on here that the studio has it's own production sound? For a start the guy at Exile uses drum replacement software for drum sounds, so your triggering a batch of samples basically.

Why go to Exile with 5K worth of drumkit just for the guy to trigger samples??

All these bands that go to Tom's to record, they book a 4 hour recording / mixing session and wonder why it sounds crap when they get home? Now full respect to the engineer at Tom's, but doing an Audio Engineering course at the college doesn't nessasarily mean he's a good sound engineer.

As for the Mill, recorded there many times over the years. Always found the recordings lacked any depth to them, and Nial's ears are fried as he always seems to pile on top-end to everything.

Yes you get what you pay for with studios in Aberdeen, but that usually means paying good money on a recording that 9 times out of 10 will sound sub-standard.

All of the above can be considered 'bad-mouthing your competitors'

approx 70-80% of your post

I don't seem to recall bad mouthing anyone in my previous post

Don't you recall posting this?

General

Because I've heard so many duff recordings come out of studio's in Aberdeen, and I'm amazed that bands continue to shell out money on crap facilities.

and

Yes you get what you pay for with studios in Aberdeen, but that usually means paying good money on a recording that 9 times out of 10 will sound sub-standard.

Exile Studios

Exile for example

Captain Tom's

All these bands that go to Tom's to record, they book a 4 hour recording / mixing session and wonder why it sounds crap when they get home? Now full respect to the engineer at Tom's, but doing an Audio Engineering course at the college doesn't nessasarily mean he's a good sound engineer. Also the subject of bad acoustics plays a major part in why demos from small studios usually sound bad. Tom's live room is breeze block with carpet stuck on it? It's always going to produce a boxy, mid sounding honk.

The Mill

As for the Mill, recorded there many times over the years. Always found the recordings lacked any depth to them, and Nial's ears are fried as he always seems to pile on top-end to everything.

Whoa...

That's not bad mouthing, that's stating facts !!!

It's still bad mouthing. You could have just said you feel you offer a better service and value for money than your competitors and your work speaks for itself, then posted the clip you just did. That would have been a respectable thing to do and made people curious about your facilities and probably listen to the clip

Instead you chose to list all your competitors and their flaws, basically calling everywhere else shit. That sir, is bad mouthing. It is not a judgement of whether a statement is true or false, but the fact you are publicly criticising others to try and benefit yourself

I worked as a pro session musician for 18 years, and have recorded in some amazing studios where sometimes the end result was terrible.

There could be many reasons that. For example your presence was a common factor.

At the end of the day no amount of expensive gear will benefit anyone if they don't know what their doing with it in the first place!

While this is a general truism, I feel that the inferred context is somewhat misleading. Most of the quality studios are not actually fitted out by retarded lottery winners and staffed with the deaf.

Just my observations.

• Upvote 1

It's still bad mouthing. You could have just said you feel you offer a better service and value for money than your competitors and your work speaks for itself, then posted the clip you just did. That would have been a respectable thing to do and made people curious about your facilities and probably listen to the clip

Instead you chose to list all your competitors and their flaws, basically calling everywhere else shit. That sir, is bad mouthing. It is not a judgement of whether a statement is true or false, but the fact you are publicly criticising others to try and benefit yourself

Some of it's verging on the libellous:

Libel And Slander: Encyclopedia of Everyday Law

OK that's a US link but all the same if a competitor could show any slump in sales coinciding with the date on that post then I think there would be grounds for litigation.

I haven't said any of the studio's in Aberdeen are shit. I mentioned weakness's that some of these facilities have, that was all. And yes I do feel I can offer a better service, and more bang for the buck than my competitors do !

I haven't said any of the studio's in Aberdeen are shit. I mentioned weakness's that some of these facilities have, that was all. And yes I do feel I can offer a better service, and more bang for the buck than my competitors do !

Perhaps consider deleting your posts and starting again before too many people see them. You're digging a hole here.

Well Kingbass you could well be the best producer/engineer in the business but you need to take a course in marketing... by attempting to trash the competition all you do is look like a big headed windbag. Because you dont have a reasonable body of work to back up your claims you just appear to be a bitch... You say all you are doing is stating fact... thats only your opinion, there are hundreds of recordings from all the studios you mention that are quite acceptable for what they are and what they cost, and thats all a young band wants and needs. There are also many recordings from the listed studio's which are in my opinion of a very high professional standard... but hey its all subjective unless of course you believe your "opinion" to be superiour to mine.

G...

• Upvote 1

You've criticised the facilities AND staff at other studios here, saying they produce sub standard recordings. that's essentially the same thing. Note the sections in bold. I

Because I've heard so many duff recordings come out of studio's in Aberdeen, and I'm amazed that bands continue to shell out money on crap facilities. Exile for example, someone mentioned on here that the studio has it's own production sound? For a start the guy at Exile uses drum replacement software for drum sounds, so your triggering a batch of samples basically. Being a drummer myself, I know that drums can be one of the most challenging instruments to record in the studio, but years of working in studios has taught me how to get an amazing drum sound. Why go to Exile with 5K worth of drumkit just for the guy to trigger samples??

All these bands that go to Tom's to record, they book a 4 hour recording / mixing session and wonder why it sounds crap when they get home? Now full respect to the engineer at Tom's, but doing an Audio Engineering course at the college doesn't nessasarily mean he's a good sound engineer. Also the subject of bad acoustics plays a major part in why demos from small studios usually sound bad. Tom's live room is breeze block with carpet stuck on it? It's always going to produce a boxy, mid sounding honk. As for the Mill, recorded there many times over the years. Always found the recordings lacked any depth to them, and Nial's ears are fried as he always seems to pile on top-end to everything.

Yes you get what you pay for with studios in Aberdeen, but that usually means paying good money on a recording that 9 times out of 10 will sound sub-standard. The problem the chap at Oceanrock faces, is trying to convince local bands that he can do just as good a job, if not better than Tom's or Exile etc. I agree that 25 an hour is quite a bit to shell out, especially for some of the facilities and what they provide. I do think the all-inclusive recording / mixing package is a good idea, and that is what my studio is going to concentrate on.

Some of it's verging on the libellous:

Libel And Slander: Encyclopedia of Everyday Law

OK that's a US link but all the same if a competitor could show any slump in sales coinciding with the date on that post then I think there would be grounds for litigation.

I won't even pretend to understand UK libel laws. But from my understanding, it is to prevent unfounded claims. So as long as an unbiased independent person agrees with him then it is ok.

However I still, as I suspect most people here believe, that legal or not, it is bad form to be dissing everyone else. If he was so confident that he offered the best product, he would just post samples and let everyone else decide instead of feeling the need to educate musicians (who should be able to hear a good or bad recording anyway) why everyone else is offering poor services in comparison to his.

Well Kingbass you could well be the best producer/engineer in the business but you need to take a course in marketing... by attempting to trash the competition all you do is look like a big headed windbag. Because you dont have a reasonable body of work to back up your claims you just appear to be a bitch... You say all you are doing is stating fact... thats only your opinion, there are hundreds of recordings from all the studios you mention that are quite acceptable for what they are and what they cost, and thats all a young band wants and needs. There are also many recordings from the listed studio's which are in my opinion of a very high professional standard... but hey its all subjective unless of course you believe your "opinion" to be superiour to mine.

G...

Excuse me, But I do actually have quite a large, considerable body of work behind me. I'd like to hear these " High Professional Standard " recordings that you've heard from these studios?

There could be many reasons that. For example your presence was a common factor.

Erm No !!!!!!!!! Not the case !! You know nothing about my musical background, so I'd appreciate it if you stop casting assumptions. I can't see how running a live music venue makes you an expert on recording studios?

Takes bait -> Ultra defensive -> Hypocrisy -> Counter attack

• Upvote 2

Oh Please !!! Don't get me started. Is that what you call professional? Give me a break !!

em, it sounds good to me so yes I guess it does. But then again I have zero interest in mixing/producing and know even less about it.

I do know however, that if I was to start a recording studio in a small city with a well established network of potential clients the one thing I wouldn't do is criticize their facilities and/or professionalism.

em, it sounds good to me so yes I guess it does. But then again I have zero interest in mixing/producing and know even less about it.

I do know however, that if I was to start a recording studio in a small city with a well established network of potential clients the one thing I wouldn't do is criticize their facilities and/or professionalism.

Before this gets out of hand, I did not slate, slag off, or belittle anyone, or any of the studios I mentioned. All I did was point out facts that have came about through my own, and other peoples experiences in some of these facilities. I was merely expressing my opinions. Saying someone uses drum samples, and that a live room sounds boxy isn't exactly slagging them off???