aberdeen-music

Guitar Sound Question...

Guest WalkingOnGlass

Guest WalkingOnGlass

Being a mere bass player by trade, I've got little clue about guitar sounds...I'm currently running a Gibson Les Paul Junior though a DSL50 JCM2000 head, I quite like the sound I get out of it, but my technique isn't so hot and I find that my strings seem to ring out and feedback more than I'd like, throwing the tightness of rhythm off, Is there any sort of compression I can get to combat this? Also, because of the singular EQ I cant exactly get the clean sound I'd prefer to have? Any solutions?

If anyone has any other ideas, feel free to share, as I said, I'm relatively clueless about guitars, amps or guitar sounds...

Best thing to do is try and get yourself an EQ pedal to shape your sound more. These are really good if you can't get the exact sound you want from your amp as they can boost and lower frequencies to shape your sound more.

I also find that heavier strings(i use 10-52's, but you could use 11-54's) ring out less than lighter strings. That could just be me though

hope that helps some :)

y'see, i was gonna suggest that, but i don't think that would really solve his problem. they reduce noise when the sound from the guitar is below a certain threshold. if its set too high then it will affect a lot more than just the background noise from strings ringing out

Originally posted by jamesy weapon:

Being a mere bass player by trade, I've got little clue about guitar sounds...I'm currently running a Gibson Les Paul Junior though a DSL50 JCM2000 head, I quite like the sound I get out of it, but my technique isn't so hot and I find that my strings seem to ring out and feedback more than I'd like, throwing the tightness of rhythm off, Is there any sort of compression I can get to combat this? Also, because of the singular EQ I cant exactly get the clean sound I'd prefer to have? Any solutions?

If anyone has any other ideas, feel free to share, as I said, I'm relatively clueless about guitars, amps or guitar sounds...

Adjust the pickup you use for the clean sound away from the strings...that will have the effect of cleaning up the sound and de-sensitizing the guitar

Originally posted by Eriatarka:

y'see, i was gonna suggest that, but i don't think that would really solve his problem. they reduce noise when the sound from the guitar is below a certain threshold. if its set too high then it will affect a lot more than just the background noise from strings ringing out

Yeah, i thought of that after posting.

Try an EQ, or possibly just try less gain, more volume from the amp?

Originally posted by jamesy weapon:

my technique isn't so hot and I find that my strings seem to ring out and feedback more than I'd like, throwing the tightness of rhythm off

Try working on imrpoving you technique and perhaps some of the ideas suggested above. Dan has a Boss EQ pedal doesn't he? You should ask for a shot of that and see if it helps out your EQing.

turning down the gain should help a lot with cutting down on feedback and noise at higher volumes

an EQ pedal could also be usefull to you, Danelectro make the PB+J Eq (i think thats the name anyway) in their mini range which is supposed to be decent sounding and very good value for money

David

Firstly you need to remember to switch the pick up to the neck position if you want a warmer and bassier clean sound.

Also, an EQ pedal may help - but then you have the added problem of switching the distortion, the EQ, the pick up selector AND getting to the microphone all in a tenth of a second.

Cut the treble on the amp slightly, my clean and distortion always sound fine (except when I forget my channel switcher and clean IS distorted....;))

never go by what a recording sounds like.

if you listen to the guitar sound on the first Foo Fighters album, its pretty good, but most of it was recorded using a mini marshall stack, the belt clip ones

i've taken risks when buying amplification and sometimes it worked out and other times it never. Marshall has never let me down. i bought myself a Vox AC30 once upon a time and it was ok, but it wasn't as good as i expected it to be(i compared it to how i heard it on a few recordings). i even ran it with a thd hot plate (so i could get all those nice warm overtones) and it still didn't sound as good as i expected.

try before i buy is my new moto

unless its a JTM45 :)

Originally posted by Eriatarka:

never go by what a recording sounds like.

if you listen to the guitar sound on the first Foo Fighters album, its pretty good, but most of it was recorded using a mini marshall stack, the belt clip ones

i've taken risks when buying amplification and sometimes it worked out and other times it never. Marshall has never let me down. i bought myself a Vox AC30 once upon a time and it was ok, but it wasn't as good as i expected it to be(i compared it to how i heard it on a few recordings). i even ran it with a thd hot plate (so i could get all those nice warm overtones) and it still didn't sound as good as i expected.

try before i buy is my new moto

unless its a JTM45 :)

The best guitar sound I ever heard was an old and very fucked up ac30...the owner of the amp had been using it for bass for about 3 or 4 years....a friend of mine played his 57 les Paul (yes a 57) through it at about 9 and it was soooooo sweet wow!!!

Valve amps sound shit untill they are at brain damage volume...

yeah but seeing as in my valvestate the valves are in the pre-amp i turned the gain up and the volume almost all the way up on the channel volume knobs. this is because i assume that the post amp is controlled my the master volume.

i was attempting to get the most valviest sound i could.

dunno but i could be horribly wrong though.