aberdeen-music

Anyone want some custom built pedals?

Alex

I'm spending a bit of time making some pedals this summer, and it'd be a lot less effort to build a few. The design for the fb looper is nearly done, but there's no definite timeframe as yet.

I'll be making a high-impedance input stage (so it won't "suck" tone) coupled with master volume control and a switchable feedback loop with variable feedback amount for a pedal rig to modulate itself (and perhaps a basic limiter built in to protect my amp).

I'll also be making a fuzz pedal with a germanium transistors that adjusts the bias level based on input level (so that the fuzz doesn't sound slack when palm-muting/lower volume).

They'll be made probably on veroboard (unless the lab technician's working over summer for PCBs) with drilled steel enclosures.

I'm spending a bit of time making some pedals this summer' date=' and it'd be a lot less effort to build a few. The design for the fb looper is nearly done, but there's no definite timeframe as yet.

I'll be making a high-impedance input stage (so it won't "suck" tone) coupled with master volume control and a switchable feedback loop with variable feedback amount for a pedal rig to modulate itself (and perhaps a basic limiter built in to protect my amp).

I'll also be making a fuzz pedal with a germanium transistors that adjusts the bias level based on input level (so that the fuzz doesn't sound slack when palm-muting/lower volume).

They'll be made probably on veroboard (unless the lab technician's working over summer for PCBs) with drilled steel enclosures.[/quote']

he's speaking in tongues! the power of christ compels you!!

er, they sound good but i really have no idea what you just said alex. can you translate it for people like me who don't understand technical things. i *think* you're making some kind of ring modulator, is that right?

i want a ring modulator. they rule. i saw one on ebay called a ringstinger, great name and it looked like an awesome pedal. went for around 300 pounds though. :(

for the feedback looper, would doing it with all your extra buffers and mv really be that much use over a normal passive one?

tav, a feedback looper basically takes some of the output of a pedal, and feeds it back into the input, so you can get self oscillation from distortion pedals and some funny effects from some other types

it is really easy to build a simple one, i could find a schematic if you want

i really need to get all teh parts for the fuzz i want to make, basically a really simple basic fuzz (the bazz fuss to be exact) but with switches to choose between different transistors and clipping diodes to completely change the character of it, and i am thinking abotu switchable input/output caps for use with bass too

i need to get my hands on loads of diodes and whatnot and breadboard it to see what is actually useful in a fuzz, so i can have a few different settings that should all be useful

mostly i am making it as an excuse to use these on a pedal

David

The feedback looper is as david said. The main point is to get a high impedance imput, so that the guitar's signal doesn't dissapear down the cable. There'll be a send and receive for the pedal rig, and a master volume with a wah-style pedal. The feedback loop is great for utterly bizarre sounds, blips and general crazyness. I'll be getting parts etc in a week, after my exams finish. The cost will be in line with the parts. Email me if you're interested - 0107104l@student.gla.ac.uk

If you're an electronic nut, try building these microphones out of a panasonic mic cartridge and an XLR connector!!! Supposed to be really great naturally flat response condensors....if you build them, let me know how they sound! :D

build-3-mics.jpg

http://www.prosoundweb.com/recording/tapeop/buildmic/buildmic_16_1.shtml

if you build them, let me know how they sound! :D

EDIT. seemingly there is a misprint in this article, the microphone cartridge Panasonic WM-66AY should actually read Panasonic WM-60AY ...they're also not made anymore, bugger! I price them at ABOUT 25.39 from maplin...

If you could make anything along the lines of a Vex Fuzz Factory pedal i'd be more than willing to purchase one. I've had my eye on one for a fair while after cowboy dan pointed them oot to me and have been wanting one to experiment with for ages. Only problem is that 200 plus is miles out of what i'll pay for one pedal.

Demo

i got my fuzz factory for 124...

there is a slightly newer version of it now' date=' exactly the same as the normal one, but the enclosure is silk screened instead of handpainted, so it looks different but sounds exactly the same, and quite a bit cheaper, i got mine from [url']www.soundsgreatmusic.com

awesome pedal

David

alex, for the feedback looper, it would be a really cool idea if you had a footswitch to choose between feedback loop or true bypass loop, so you can use the pedals normally as well as in the fb loop for crazyness

not sure how it would work with your active circuitry (since i dont know what the schematics like) but on a passive fb loop its just a case of using a spst switch to cut the connection between the send and return jacks to let it function as just a loop

David