aberdeen-music

Computer/Kettle problems...

Rachie

a few months ago my computer speakers kept making occaisional whistling noises like you describe

only i concluded the sound was that of tumbleweeds blowing across a deserted town, these sounds were often accompanied by a pop-up or banner ad depicting such a scene

they stopped eventually, i think it had something to do with either e-messenger or the spyware that got on my computer as a result of using e-messenger

Nae alarm, it's been threatening it for a while I think. :(

Just to add to the impending hard disk failure aswell.

I may have to delve into the student loan and get a new computer. My Hard Disk is fucked anyway and has been for about 2 months, but I get round it.

I really can't afford a new computer but gah.

You can tell it's just its way of saying: "I'm doing this to piss you off, you have no way of knowing that I might... just MIGHT delete everything inside me and stop working. Just for shits and giggles. Teehee. But you don't know. That's the best part."

[credit to Dayeth for imposed computer's thoughts]

Guest MarkJDelaney

The noise you're hearing is a BIOS alarm. It could be that your CPU/Motherboard is overheating, it could be bad memory, it could be a lot of things.

If you could find out what motherboard you have, and describe the noise you're getting (ie. constant high pitched, dashed pitched, etc) I might be able to help you find out what the problem is.

*Puts down phone halfway through speed-dialing lawyer*

EDIT: "Just for shits and giggles. Teehee. But you don't know. That's the best part". That certaintly wasn't my part.

Yer I know' date=' I changed it a little. But it was your original structure sort of thing. So I credited.

Bwaha.

As for motherboard type, I honestly don't know. As for the noise: it sounded like a kettle boiling. Seriously. That is the only way I can possibley describe it, a mixture or bubbling and rattling, low pitched, would happen every 40 minutes or so.

It hasn't done it since I gave the fan a bit of a hoover out last night. Here's hoping it'll be ok. I've backed up everything just in case on my external HD.[/color']

No no, it's not like the fan speeding up, it's a totally different noise (trust me when my computer overheats you know about it ;) )

It hasn't done it for 2 days now...

Will prolly take it along to the IT dept at Uni and get someone to take a look at it. Anyone know who I'd have to get in touch with?