aberdeen-music

Stereo, Glasgow. 16/05/05

psydoll

My three new (to me anyways) venues in three days campaign continued onwards on Monday with a trip to Stereo in Glasgow. Bri Deadloss hit the nail on the head saying that it's kinda like a cross between Drakes and The Bassment. San Miguel on tap as well. Pleasing!

Wall Street Ammunition Hero opened up proceedings with a great wee set. Despite seeming exceedingly shy before the gig started they were a different proposition onstage. Drum machine in full effect and much skirling and shouting (often without needing mics - another great feature of Drakes ;)) alongside some killer guitar-playing makes me wonder why more people didn't turn out at the Tunnels to see them. One of the guys does actually look like a ginger Jesus so the description of them on the posters as "Ginger Screaming Jesus" did not disappoint.

Deadloss Superstar take to the stage next amid screams from the toilets and put in a sterling performance. It seems like a while since I've seen them but apart from Craig's head being topless [no cowboy hat? WHIT?] it's another great rawk show from the guys. Another band that always strikes me that everyone's very good at what they do in the band and despite various comments from them that they were shite and fucking up all the time it was great. 'Wall Of Skin' is a definite highlight of the set as most always when it's played.

One of the most improved bands I've ever seen is up next in the form of Small Enclosed Area. That's the fucking riff! When I first saw them in Drummonds I enjoyed it but didn't think much of it afterwards. These days however they're getting way heavier, Keith doesn't seem nervous at all anymore and the songs are more intelligent with bigger buildups and really great structures to the songs. That bloody bass player still keeps turning his back on the audience though. It's either just that he's unsociable or perhaps he's hiding his bass parts from us as they've improved loads as well. Top Scottish band guys [and another "we were shite" comment from a band. God almighty min - toot yer ain horn once in a while :p]- if they don't go through the T Break heats then I'd say that it's mildly criminal...

Morse Code Is For Amateurs final gig brings the night to a close. Informing me that the band is shite before, during and after the performance [notice a trend appearing at this gig?..] is a strange way to enhance their set for me but it does nothing to dampen my enthusiasm for them. For one guitar and one set of drums they kick up a hell of a din, change some songs to fit in extra beer drinking and even swap instruments mid-song for a cacophonous breakdown at one point. I leave Stereo highly entertained and proceed to go on an absolutely fantastic night out the likes of which I shall never forget. Glorious.

Another four bands I'd recommend going to see - 6 outta 7 so far from the Glasgow leg of my travels. Good ratio I'd say!

i must apologise...i fear i may have been speaking utter pish to many of you.

ah well...serves you right for playing on the day i finish uni :)

No one told me that 44's members were in the hoose!

I could've accosted you and moaned about not seeing you before. :)

In attendance were Iain, Euan and Alex 44.

I thought that W.S.A.H. were wicked. Very entertaining, but might lose some of the thrill after seeing them a few times.

I thought Deadloss were okay, but not how I remember them sounding (although it has been about 3 years). I like the lads a whole lot, but not sure they really sounded distinct enough to really capture my attention.

I thought the first SEA song was wicked, and after that I got very....very...bored. Which is a shame, because their singer has an amazing voice.

Still, it was an ace night. Stereo is indeed a great little venue. Very much like a slightly bigger drakes.