aberdeen-music

The Gun Club featuring Malcolm Middleton of Arab Strap

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After listening to the clips of most of the new album on his website, i'm both worried and excited. The album is verging on being too polished and overproduced at first listen, however... i enjoyed some of the new directions and ideas he's taken, so it should be a different gig than what i first expected.

I think Mogwai is going to be the last night for a good couple of weeks i'm going to drink hard, it'll be the soft drinks for me at this one.

I just bought my ticket' date=' no.8.

James Orr Complex played the T-Break stage last year, as did Dogs Die in Hot Cars, both were signed to a label at the time. So its not that unusual...[/quote']

Dogs Die In Hot cars played the NME stage last year, i watched them. Unless they did both...

Fri 10th June

5 (advance from The Tunnels One Up - from Mon 16th May)

Malcolm will be launching his solo album and will be supported by The Kitchen Cynic and 1 TBC.

The Gun Club boys will keep you dancing til 3.

Im pleased to be the 1 TBC. Well looking forward to this gig. I think Alan Cynic is a genius so looking forward to seeing him again.

Malcolm Middletons stuff was played on Vic's Show and it sounded really good. Gutted that its the same night as S&D at lemon tree but hopefully there'll still be a good crowd in.

Ill be launching a wee E.P of my own on the night and playing a half piano (well keyboard)/ half accoustic set.

Hopefully see a few of you folks down there.

Guest Zeenat Aman
I'm chuffed you're playing' date=' too Steven....really looking forward to it too, and thanks for the kind words :kiss:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Zeenat will make it...he's apparently got his willy caught in his flute, or something! :help:[/quote']

p20804.jpg

See the cork thing in the centre of the pic, that's stuck!

:(

It was a great gig last night. I thought Malcolm Middleton was superb but i would have liked some more songs off his debut or a few more songs which did involve the whole band. Devastation and No Modest Bear were best songs. Kitchen Cynics were were great too and seem like diamond fellas. I thought Steven Milne's cover of NYC was pretty good but wasn't all that keen on his own stuff. That Jamie bloke started off well but got weaker before the end. And what is with the American accent? I wasn't suprised when he covered Bright Eyes either since the rest of the set seemed like an attempt to sound like him. Still, he was quite enjoyable.

I left the gig slightly disappointed to be honest. First act was terrible, he really needs to play his guitar, not beat the shit out of it like its a snare drum. Kitchen Cynics were as always excellent, a very talented chap indeed. Steven Milne was pretty rubbish too, he could sing... but had nothing to sing about. Every melody and lyric was boring, predictable and similar to every other song. The covers were done ok, but why in gods name play covers when you are playing to a large audience, who mostly have never seen you before. Surely its a better idea to try and impress them with your own material.

As for Malcolm.... great start, pretty good sound too. But he didn't play enough off his first album i feel, Cold Winter was begging to be played. Liked half the new songs, didn't mind the other half, although the line about "buying a million steak McCoys to make you forgive me" was class. He seemed pretty pissed off for the latter part of the set, perhaps due to whatever dickhead shouted for Girls of Summer.

gun club

I left the gig slightly disappointed to be honest. First act was terrible' date=' he really needs to [b']play his guitar, not beat the shit out of it like its a snare drum. Kitchen Cynics were as always excellent, a very talented chap indeed. Steven Milne was pretty rubbish too, he could sing... but had nothing to sing about. Every melody and lyric was boring, predictable and similar to every other song. The covers were done ok, but why in gods name play covers when you are playing to a large audience, who mostly have never seen you before. Surely its a better idea to try and impress them with your own material..

I disagree hugely about the lyrical and musical content of my stuff but I appreciate you are entitled to an opinion as much as I have to defend myself.So fair enough. Sorry to hear that my stuff wasnt your thing but to be fair Alan Cynic (who was and always is great) also played three covers in his set - to a large audience. Donovan, Richard Thompson and Tanakh. Im not for a second attacking him in any way, just making a point.

I also only played three covers. The Velvet Underground, Interpol and The Smiths. The reason behind me playing them was due to many things. Firstly, its a good way to get people to actually LISTEN to your own stuff. Most audiences talk over your own stuff but from playing accoustic for the last two years to some tough crowds Ive noticed that if you play a cover in between original songs people in a crowd tend to pay more attention to you.The bands I was covering are the sort of bands that not only I like but also the kind which the people who got to Gun Club want to hear.

I dont really like playing covers (in fact I fucking hate it) but I thought my choice kept me happy as they were songs I liked and they all went down well and werent exactly obvious cover choices.The Velvets song wasnt in my setlist, I ws nervous and can play that song inside out so did it to settle my nerves. Interpol was a request from a friend who had seen me before and The Smiths is just an ace song which I like to play as a set closer.

Sorry to hear you were dissapointed but I felt that the night was a good one .I stand by my set. My set went down well with the majority and often people were clapping at the front before Id even finished a song.In fact at one point someone was dancing and clapping in time to my own song and seemed to know the words which was strange!

I got a great slot that night and am thankful for the boys for putting me on. I had over 30 requests for C.Ds or contact details for future gigs and Malcolm Middletons drummer and bassist (who run Chemikal Underground) want a copy of both the bands and my own ep.

Again sorry you didnt enjoy my stuff.

Thanks for saying I could sing tho.

.So fair enough. Sorry to hear that my stuff wasnt your thing but to be fair Alan Cynic (who was and always is great) also played three covers in his set - to a large audience. Donovan' date=' Richard Thompson and Tanakh. Im not for a second attacking him in any way, just making a point.

.[/quote']

I also played a Bridget St John cover!!!! (But the Tanakh one isn't a cover...I wrote the words, chords and the main melody, but Jesse Poe of Tanakh altered a few words, and added a couple of 'twiddly bits' to the melody....their version will be on their next album...nice string arrangements).

Personally I really enjoyed Steven's set, and he certainly gripped the audience far more than Philip and I did....I misjudged our set, and made it too quiet. Steven judged it just right IMO. :kiss::up:

Guest Zeenat Aman

Again sorry you didnt enjoy my stuff.

You and the songs sounded fine, dont be worrying about it. Your dominoes playing on the other hand, aha!!!!

:D