aberdeen-music

recording/production degrees

TheBuck

SAE Is a bit of a joke in the industry, I or any studio I work in would not touch any of their students for work. The only real way to do it, is to try get a spot in an actual Studio as an assistant/Tea boy, Then try gain as much experience as you can. it takes a long time to learn.

SAE Is a bit of a joke in the industry' date=' I or any studio I work in would not touch any of their students for work. The only real way to do it, is to try get a spot in an actual Studio as an assistant/Tea boy, Then try gain as much experience as you can. it takes a long time to learn.[/quote']

yeah, i can maybe appreciate that, certainly about the hands on experience. i spent a lot of time at SAE in glasgow as a visitor, cos my friend did one of the courses, around 2000-2002. they have some quite nice equipment, and one very nice live room. they do teach a lot of theory as well, i remember there being a lot of waveform theory and stuff.

being in an actual real studio taught me a lot about tracking and mixing, and about producing tracks too. lots of techniques and experimentation that i'd never thought of or tried before. like dropping much of the gain on guitars for recording, adding a clean guitar lower down in the mix to fatten it up, beat detective for drummers, cutting out half the picking/plucking on a bass to let the drums give the rhythm to a bassline. most of it was stuff completely out of my hands and/or knowledge base. like getting an amazing drum sound, getting a thumpy but punchy bass sound (7ft 2x david eden cab stack + head helped!), programming synths etc.

a lot of the things i have seen gave me experimental ideas and tangents of my own to follow that i have progressed with since being in the studio. we were lucky that our producer wanted to help us experiment with our sound, as opposed to recording a shit hot but essentially equivalent sounding version of the songs we came in with.

the obvious engineering goal for me is to be able to A/B my tracks against studio produced tracks and have people not know the difference!

i think there's definitely a space in the market place for some young guns to start a new studio. 2 or 3 of people in aberdeen i know thought about doing this a couple of years back. i've still yet to hear a really good drum sound come out of aberdeen, it's always what gives away local band stuff to my ears, and that's what i think would make a studio stand out from the crowd! maybe i'm just thinking rock market here. perhaps there's just not enough bands wanting to record in aberdeen to make it worthwhile.

Its certainly my dream!...I think the market is deff there..as you say, local stuff all sounds "local" :D

I think every band wants to record...but the price is what scares them off....its a fine line to get between owning the best studio with best equipment, and being able to charge peanuts whilst not giving out monkeys in return...

If I knew anything about money i would own my own house, with an extension built on that was a rehearsal pad during the day while I'm at my dayjob, and my studio by night...with all proceeds paying the mortgage/loan for gear....

No doubt some clever fucker out there will nick this idea....

i might go for that course the dude in the first post mentioned, the 350 24 week one. yeah as long as it was like you could do it all at home that would be shit hot. mite have to go and sell my guitar tho. na fuck that ive only just bought it, even if it is being a bitch. its definately something to think about tho. i was more thinking of doing it as a joint honours, but i wouldnt care about it being a degree as long as i got practical hands on experience.

the tonmeister course in surrey is the only course that springs to mind as almost gauranteed to get you a damn nice job. Better have good grades though. Applied musicianmanship at strathclyde and electronics with music at glasgow (mine). SAE's alright (and have a nice studio) but there are a lot of sae graduates every year.