aberdeen-music

top 3 aberdeen bassists

Guest valley69

Aye' date=' jimmy jazz is totally the way forward. Opens your mind to so many new ideas. I got a stack of tutor books and videos with folk like John Patticci(?sp), but it's pretty tough teaching myself to read music as none of these things come in tab format!! No substitute for face to face lessons though![/quote']

thank you.

it's a tough one. makes me wish i'd learned to sight read when i started playing keyboards when i was little or even when i started playing bass. it'd have stood me in much better stead, but at the same time, i'm only 21 so there's plenty of time to pick up the books and get it done. i can read music, just not particularly well.

any particular books you'd recommend?

spoons

/x

I'll have a wee lookie at what I've got at home, but it'll be a few days as I'm currently moving house. Eek!!

I have got a cool book that analyses James Jamersons style. The John Patticci video is pretty good too, even just for the novelty value of Dave Weckl's mullet :D

I think there's one called "The finger funk workout", which has some pretty gnarly stuff in it......

One of the best things I did was getting a metronome for practising exersices. If you don't have one - get one!! One of the best buys I've ever met.......

it's a tough one. makes me wish i'd learned to sight read when i started playing keyboards when i was little or even when i started playing bass. it'd have stood me in much better stead' date=' but at the same time, i'm only 21 so there's plenty of time to pick up the books and get it done. i can read music, just not particularly well.

any particular books you'd recommend?

spoons

/x[/quote']

yes I agree... it is a hard on

got a metronome so i'm good in that respect! will loko about for that james jamerson book and if you come across anything else after the move, stick it up here cos i'm coming to the end of university and i'd really like to devote more time to getting back into the groove, so to speak, and regaining some of the old magic!

3rd spot could go to either hardcore atom who i grew up with bass playing wise and love or my old chum big bad :D he's definately got the soul for it!

I'd hate to pick three....Spoonie is god natch!! (no that isnt a typo)

Monk rocker plays a mean bit 'o' bass and steve x Alyssa's wish is a superb player, anyone who can hold down a great bass line while avoiding being killed by a loonie guitarist is ok with me.

G...