aberdeen-music

Another self produced track for critique...

threeornothing

Hey there,

Looking for comments on both music and production on this....

Its' Red Medicine with a song I've already posted on here before, but this time it sounds better and while I haven;t written any lyrics yet, I've played lead guitar along with some potential melodies (although I didn't actually take the time to write/learn this either, so its all a bit on the spot...) see what you think!!

http://www.keilan303.demon.co.uk/redmedicine-song2.mp3

If the guitars sound shit, its cos everything is DI'd, using Amplitude...my neighbours complained about the jangly noise they could heard from my fucking bass...fucking paper walls, I don't think I'll ever get the chance to write/practice vocals again... :down:

singer reminds me of a young robert smith. what does the rest of their stuff sound like? not bad either way.

edit:

aww pisss, wrong thread. oh well, while i'm here.

think this is really good, should sort it out and put vocals on it though, even if it means going to someone elses house with a wee desk or something. music sounds like a blend of pablo honey / a happy placebo influences. the guitars are blended really well, especially towards the end.

drums are recorded pretty well, and sit well in the mix, not sure how pumping they make the track, cos my stereo is turned down cos it's late.

lots of nice bits of dynamic change in the song to stop my ear from getting a pounding, thanks.

i really like the overheads sound from the drums, in fact the kit in general sounds pretty nice

criticisms:

- guitar lead work (the really high bits) seems to go on for ever, and though it changes it becomes a bit much after a while, as nice it sounds

- compression seems a bit heavy handed at times (bass guitar around 30s, kick in at 1m04s)

- there are a couple of points in the track where although everything is in time, the rhythms from the drums and the guitar seem not to match, and it's a bit confuzzling

- that flange around 3:30 is horrible, it makes me dizzy

I thought it was gonna be a Blur cover :(

Can't listen to it too loud at the moment (again with the neighbour factor) so it's hard to judge production-wise but it sounds fine. The song itself fits in nicely with my listening as of late and I find it enjoyable. I don't actually know if I want there to be vocals on this track if I'm honest as it's pretty damn good the way it is but I've been listening to more instrumental stuff a lot lately so that might be clouding my judgement. All in all another positive review :)

Cheers for the comments guys!

Glad you like the drum sound. Took a lot of work, the kit itself sounds like a fucking piece of shit. There very well could be drums and guitars out of time, our drummer likes shit like that....I think I'm going to edit it ;)

The lead guitar won't really stay in the song (although I am starting to think it might fit in, but not so much!) See what you mean about the compression, I am a big fan of compression though, just can't contain it yet! I maybe need to split off the fingered bass part onto another track and ease off the compression there. It would just get lost in the rest of the song without it though.

As for the flange :D heh, it doesn't sound the same once the project has been rendered...I need an effect for that bit I think....maybe less subtley :D

i really like that actually.

And I don't mind the lead guitar all the way through cos its really simple and mega delayed. Which I like.

I would also say it doesn't really need much vocals to it all.

Sounds actually a little bit like some Devin Towsend stuff.

Nice work!!!!

Big fat thumbs up from me.

Oh, and good sound quality too.

• 4 weeks later...

GIG! Aye, playing Moorings 11th June, fudge night thingy, so bound to be a great night! :D We're just finishing off the recording of vocals for these 3 tracks (and 3/4 more) so should be a good set. WE're gonna bung in a cover or two aswell, none of which will bear any resemblance to this shit though....

Like dthe track Keilan, TBH i think the lead guitar could sound a bit RHCP like - which is good until it goes on a bit in the treble. You might want to take a bit of that lead track out and use it for a chorus or M8 bit?

Drums are a little too complicated for my liking - again something like an RHCP beat would fit well (depends on sound you want to go for) slower but maybe different beat might fit better and help bring out the bass and guitar. As it stands i'm kind of drawn to what the drummer is doing. Good riff n all but i dont think it goes.. (but being a drummer thats probably just me)

Missed you last Sunday at moorings!!, maybe next time.

i like this track' date=' although i really am not keen on the high lead guitar all through the song i was really enjoying it untill it came, made it feel like i was listening to a sonic the hedgehog track, take the lead out and it will be a lot nicer, i think vocals would be a nice replacement for it :)[/quote']

I kind of agree the lead guitar is way too panny.