aberdeen-music

Manics - Edinburgh Corn Exchange

Cloud

Me Jazz Erikson and King went. I enjoyed the gig, they seemed to be a little bit more up for it this time, I think the flu and the larger arena in Glasgow dulled them a bit. As usual the Holy Bible songs were the best, "Of Walking Abortion" and in particular "Archives of Pain" (when it kicked in) ruptured my bowels. But I was seriously pissed off by the jumping masses of neds again. I don't know how people can jump like idiots at gigs, I can only do it while seriously inebriated. All these fucking pricks in front of me pogoing to "You Stole the Sun From My Heart". They were noticeable by their absence during the chorus to Archives of Pain. Overall, it was good to see them again, they said "see you in 2 years" so the last gig 4 a while methinks.

I wanted to die when Paradise City started

Mwahaha' date=' the gig was plain fucking ace..the Delays are brilliant too :D

Being at the barrier and meeting them afterwards made queuing for 8 hours *so* worth it :D[/quote']

Steady on my boy, they don't exactly rock the foundations of modern music

Steady on my boy' date=' they don't exactly rock the foundations of modern music[/quote']

Well, I was involved in embarrasing Naysmyth afterwards, so ..ner :p

They were more than up for it, seeing James sing with Nicky's mic had to be the funniest thing ever :D

The thing I don't get - people have been complaining about the crowd, but round me (just left of centre) at the barrier, everyone was really friendly, I even got a "sorry for squashing you" from a girl that was behind me the whole time, which was funny :D

I don't think the Holy Bible stuff was particularly notable compared to anything else - Stay Beautiful/Elvis Impersonator, anyone? Sausages Sometimes Are (don't ask..) was also brilliant.

Holy Bible songs are the most intense and vital of all their work' date=' and translate better to stage. Elvis was good, but I'd rather listen to it on record.[/quote']

I'd argue that EMG was the more intense and vital album for various reasons - to come back and deliver a song like ADFL that was sung by "the ordinary man in the street" was nothing short of amazing - whereas with THB, the pressure was completely off them. It's hard to compare the two albums, but to me personally, THB represents the kind of album that translates to small, dark, dingy venues, whereas EMG represents the big time arena feel of the band.

THB is their In Utero, EMG is their Nevermind, in my opinion.

Marsh went.

I imagine he'd have been fully amused if he'd seen you :p

I was promised a full report by the man himself so we shall wait and see...

Can't dissapoint you, my Adamy chum.

Setlist:

Found That Soul

A Design For Life

Roses In The Hospital

Faster

Everything Must Go

Elvis Impersonator / Blackpool Pier

You Love Us

Let Robeson Sing

Of Walking Abortion

Solitude Sometimes Is

If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next

The Masses Against The Classes

The Everlasting (acoustic)

Archives Of Pain

You Stole The Sun From My Heart

Stay Beautiful

Cardiff Afterlife

Ifwhiteamericatoldthetruthforonedayit'sworldwouldfallapart

Firefight (new song)

Motorcycle Emptiness

Motown Junk (Paradise City intro)

The best i've ever seem them (10 times since 1995)

The Bible songs were amazing - Obviously the first time i've seen them played live, but, dear God they were good live.

New guitarist is a great addition - freed up Jimmy Dean to play "real" lead guitar, without having to worry about filling in gaps and stuff. As a result, they have benefited musically. His voice was immense as well. Wire was good as gold and left out all the annoying baggage you sometimes get with him. Can't really argue with the setlist at all - they took in everything. Maybe Gold AGainst the Soul is under represented, but you cannae really complain. If you're getting a mental version of Archives of Pain instead of From Despair to Where I ain't complaining. The set was structured really well and pleased everyone I think?

The new song was pretty mince, and musically sounded a bit like Keane to my ears, but hopefully it will improve if / when it is recorded.

Paradise City at the end was brilliant - They fully went for it! And it slipped into Motown Junk perfectly. Nice to see them finishing on this song instead of Design for Life.

Great banter about never going back to Glasgow again! And how the crowd were shit in Newcastle the previous night. They've settled on a happy medium of being humble without losing their edge I think. It was great to hear songs I thought I'd never get to hear live (Stay Beautiful! Ifwhiteamerica! Of Walking Abortion!) and they never even attempted to sell the new album at all (great choice of songs, I thought - not even any of the two singles from the album) 1985 was brill, and cardiff Afterlife was a great way to think about Richey.

A most pleasing gig indeed.

If you go to www.manics.co.uk you can now download the "God Save the Manics" E.P. and listen to the VERY Keane - esque new song "Firefight." The first song "A Secret Society" is a belter' date=' though.

Really annoying how it's in one of those annoying Windows Media formats so you can't write it to disk, though :down:[/quote']

I'm so pleased I managed to get one of the free EPs... so much more collectable than a fucking file for a start :) It's a bit of a joke they limited them to just 1000 copies, plus the ones handed out at the Hammersmith gig (although handed out = leave them in a box for the first few folk to take a pile each to put onto eBay, apparently.)

One thing about the Corn Exchange gig: they played more songs at every other venue except for Newcastle. It was a fucking immense gig, but you do feel a bit cheated. Especially since we got Faster (the nearest there is to a permanent THB song on the set list) while everywhere else got either Revol or 4st 7lbs...

And the crowd WAS annoying. Cloud was okay cos he was right up at the barrier, but in the mixer there were far too many cunts, especially during You Stole The Sun etc like narc said. And I think when you have to punch someone in the eye to get them to wisen up about nicking your balaclava, that says it all. But that's drunken Central Belt crowds for you...

SAYING THAT, I almost wet myself when they played Paradise City. I knew they were gonna play it, but I didn't think he'd carry on after the intro chorus. And Archives was absolutely amazing when the whole band kicked in. I don't think I'll ever hear a more powerful version of it.

1985 deserves to be a mainstay for the forseeable future, and it was a great idea getting ADFL out of the way, meaning the end was less predictable.

Hmmm, I seem to be pretty much repeating what everyone else has already said...

Best gig I've ever been to anyway.

I preferred both the other times i saw them but they were still good. I reckon the fact that i couldn't see most the time ruined as well as the annoying Moby lookalike in front of me. Setlist was good, although i would have preferred Revol to Faster. And Nicky shoulda jumped off the amp.

I preferred both the other times i saw them but they were still good. I reckon the fact that i couldn't see most the time ruined as well as the annoying Moby lookalike in front of me. Setlist was good' date=' although i would have preferred Revol to Faster. And Nicky shoulda jumped off the amp.[/quote']

Yeah, I think I remember more of the Glasgow gig in January, and I was able to shout every single word then because it wasn't so fucking boiling, and I was able to see at least SOME of the stage for the whole of that gig. And I didn't spend half the gig jostling for position. But then again I WAS standing a fair bit back at that one.

But this gig had Archives and Ifwhiteamerica..., which were both immense.