aberdeen-music

Anyone ever played a PRS guitar?

Dan G

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, Ibanez are great guitars. This all started when I said "Especially as many people consider Ibanez to be badly made...." because trust they do. I've played guitar for bout 4 years and spoken to lots of people and read many magazines etc.. and it is a general opinion by alot of people. Just because Satriani and Vai play them it don't mean shit. Signature equipment is a farce - an excuse for companies to heave up the price. Look! gullible is written on that wall over there!

Signature equipment is a rip off. You pay to have someone's "autographh" emblazened on a guitar that is a copy of a one off, made specifically for them. No way am I ever giong to play a signature guitar until Warwick build me an Andy ET bass madde to my specifications!!

You generally get what you pay for, though. No way is a 350 Ibanez going to be made to the same high standards as a 800 Prestige model.....

Well its not actually the gothic one - I just sprayed the scratchplate black, so it looks cooler than both the gothic one and the normal one, because it is ALL black but shiny as well. ;)

The jackson is cool - just got an EMG 81 in the bridge and an EMG 85 in the neck....sweet.

Originally posted by Monk Rocker:

You generally get what you pay for, though. No way is a 350 Ibanez going to be made to the same high standards as a 800 Prestige model.....

Obviously but that doesn't stop the more expensive guitars occasionally not living up to their price tags...that was my point not all PRS's are going to be brillaint, amazing and awe inspiring guitars.

i have an rg550, any1 played one? wat u think of the pickups, I think they're ok but then agen my pickup knowledge aint the best. I've heard alot of ppl consider them (V6, S1,V7 somethin like that) to be tolerable at best. Dan whats your BC rich's tremolo like? I played one like that in Bruce Millers and the trem was really stiff :/

Originally posted by Leckie Gilman:

excellent

emg's were the back up plan after seymor duncan distorsion humbucker or dimarzio super distorsion for my *ahem* strat.

that would be rad.

but hey isnt jackson a fender conmpany?

Originally posted by Dan Atom:

I don't think so! :D

Jackson was formerly Jackson Charvel and made all those pointy 80's cheese hair metal guitars...

Although those style guitars are modelled on the strat, but as they are more 'flash' they are known as "super strats"

Jackson/Charvel guitars is owned by FMIC, aka fender musical instruments corp. so to be pedantic, yes jackson guitars are owned by fender. this is pretty recent, they were bought over about a year and a bit ago.

Charvel basically make 'hot rodded' strats, basically strats with floyds and humbuckers and the like.

Jackson make 'superstrats' which are what Soloists/Dinkys/RG's/Jems and all the others like that, basically a strattish shape, but usually with deeper, more pointed cutaways, so better high fret access, and usually a few extra frets too...

they also make pointy metal guitars like Rhoads vee's, Warriors, Kellys and others and a few odd guitars like the phil collens PC-1 which is a hot rodded strat like a charvel

and PRS, im not sure if i would spend the money on one, i would rather go for a complete custom guitar suited to me, probably from Jackson

but i did see Paul Crook playing with Meatloaf last night, and he used a red PRS for half the set and it sounded bloody excellent, so i guess its really down to whether you are willing to pay the money for it or not.

David

Originally posted by dolf:

i have a prs santana se and it plays and feels pretty nice.never played one of the "real" ones but wouldnt mind havin a go one day.

I bought an SE II with a tremolo today. It's got a sweet low action and it plays great for the money.

I went down to sound control in Dundee for it. 399 with a really good padded gig bag. They had a few blue w/ blue head stock and another red w/ black head stock. They are a nationwide chain so getting one in the colour you want would not be hard. I managed to do a deal and got mine for 379 (I bought two guitars that day so I thought a deal had to be had) which is insane as the RRP was already 659! Check out www.soundcontrol.co.uk