aberdeen-music

Anyone ever played a PRS guitar?

Dan G

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by bryn:

i have an rg550, any1 played one? wat u think of the pickups, I think they're ok but then agen my pickup knowledge aint the best. I've heard alot of ppl consider them (V6, S1,V7 somethin like that) to be tolerable at best. Dan whats your BC rich's tremolo like? I played one like that in Bruce Millers and the trem was really stiff :/

my bc rich doesn't have a tremelo - thank fuck, but my jackson an washburn do. Both are ok, but the washburn stays in tune better...it's also needed for all those dimebag harmonic dive's a la "mouth for war".

Yeah that's why you have a guitar with a trem and one with a fixed bridge if your down tuning, get the best of both worlds. The most lowest tuning I currently use is a dropped D, though my guitar is usually in standard tuning so a trem is just an advatage for myself.

Originally posted by David:

Charvel basically make 'hot rodded' strats, basically strats with floyds and humbuckers and the like.

Jackson make 'superstrats' which are what Soloists/Dinkys/RG's/Jems and all the others like that, basically a strattish shape, but usually with deeper, more pointed cutaways, so better high fret access, and usually a few extra frets too...

I'm sure Charvel made superstrats too...

Originally posted by Tav:

If your tuning down often another guitar with a longer neck or thicker gauge strings is a worthwhile investment so I am told.

A baritone guitar. Ibanez do them with 27" scales....

Originally posted by neil ex:

well i would never pay 2000-3000 for a guitar, it just seems like a ridiculous waste of money to me.

Up to around 1500 you're paying for better woods and craftmanship. Above that and more time is spent on finer details such as the finish, inlays and binding.

If you want little gold thingy's on your headstock then fine, but if you're just gonna jump around and dent your guitar on drumkits and bass guitars then it's probably not worth it...

Originally posted by bryn:

i have an rg550, any1 played one? wat u think of the pickups, I think they're ok but then agen my pickup knowledge aint the best. I've heard alot of ppl consider them (V6, S1,V7 somethin like that) to be tolerable at best.

I have an RG470 with an EMG 85 (i think - can't remember) put in. It's also the only pickup that works and it's got one volume knob and nowt else. All I need. I put the EMG in cos I thought the V7 that was in there before sounded a little weedy, like a single coil's kinda tinny sound.

I also have an RG2620 which is a prestige model (tho I notice this last year they've been making shitty guitars 'Prestige models' even tho they're only 500!! Pisses me off and cheapens the idea of a 'prestige' guitar!) and has a mahogany body which makes a big difference in tone! It has Ibanez/DiMarzio pickups which are actually ok. I guess they're just cheaply made Dimarzio's. I replaced one of them with an Seymour Duncan Invader but i can only get one half of the new pickup to work (the wiring of the 2620 has coil splitting going on) which pisses me off cos it sounds gay as hell (though it's still quite brutal for a single coil)! Does anyone know how to sort this?

I'd definently say that both guitars have been improved with new pickups.

Originally posted by Tav:

I went down to sound control in Dundee for it. 399 with a really good padded gig bag. They had a few blue w/ blue head stock and another red w/ black head stock. They are a nationwide chain so getting one in the colour you want would not be hard. I managed to do a deal and got mine for 379 (I bought two guitars that day so I thought a deal had to be had) which is insane as the RRP was already 659! Check out www.soundcontrol.co.uk

Soundcontrol! Best music shop ever!

Played a 2150 PRS (not sure of model, but it looked nice :D) through a Mesa Road King....sweet as shit!!!!

Also a Stingray through an Ashdown powering an Ampeg 6x10 cab, and a cool Roland electric drum kit....in London, its just down stairs from Virgin megastore and it is fucking awesome!!!!

with regards to PRS...

"Hey I'd like to try out this guitar"

"erm...are you interested in buying it?"

"Yes!"

"Yeah...right!!!"

but I still got a shot....good stuff

Originally posted by Keilan 303:

meh..Ruptured Spleen were tuned to A.....and our old guitarist used to fuck about with G tuning from time to time.....only Neurosis can pull that one off though :D

With all due respect, I think once it gets below B (including A#) it gets too detuned. I think B still has an element of clarity and groove, and bands like Carcass, Dream Theater, Down and Soilwork pull it off so well. Where as Korn and Staind just sounds too much like bass guitar with distortion.

If you have ever heard Nevermore you would know what I mean. They're a great band and I think they play in A, where as if they were a tone higher pitched it would sound so much better.

As for THE lowest, Meshuggah surely win - 8 string guitars tuned down either a half or whole step, which means in either F or E - a WHOLE OCTAVE below concert pitch! They sacked their bass player because they didn't need him anymore.

(Not that I am really a fan either, but the Slipknot songs in B are far better than the ones in A) :)

Dunno...I really love the droning sound round about A that you get, as you say, at B it still sounds relatively tuned, thats not what we were aiming for....we were also making up for lack of a bass player aswell...

Depends if you love that sound of an all out distorted bass awell...take the band MAN IS THE BASTARD....no guitars, just two distorted basses and drums....power violence....

Originally posted by Dan Atom:

With all due respect, I think once it gets below B (including A#) it gets too detuned. I think B still has an element of clarity and groove, and bands like Carcass, Dream Theater, Down and Soilwork pull it off so well. Where as Korn and Staind just sounds too much like bass guitar with distortion.

If you have ever heard Nevermore you would know what I mean. They're a great band and I think they play in A, where as if they were a tone higher pitched it would sound so much better.

As for THE lowest, Meshuggah surely win - 8 string guitars tuned down either a half or whole step, which means in either F or E - a WHOLE OCTAVE below concert pitch! They sacked their bass player because they didn't need him anymore.

(Not that I am really a fan either, but the Slipknot songs in B are far better than the ones in A) :)