aberdeen-music

First Gig

shaun

If it`s playing a gig then don`t rush into it....

If 200 peaople are watching you and you`re under-reheared then it`ll be hard to win them over when you get much better...

Use your soundcheck time once you are ready to gig and also inform the sound man of all the instruments you are using and any effects that you may wish on vocals etc.

Wear a watch and get one band member to keep an eye on the time and make sure you start and finish on time.. Best usually the bassist as they don`t usually do anything but play bass and stand at the back.

If you do all of these things and both look and act the professional band then you`ll be asked back by the venue/promotor soon enough....

DON`T PISS OFF A SOUNDMAN.......

ESPECIALLY IAN CHRISTIE

Have your amp settings and everything like that written down or pre-done as to save soundcheck time.

Stay on the good side of the soundguy, he makes you sound good.....

Always bring a mini tool thing (Leatherman or something) you never know....

Ask about equipment in advance unless you're bringing everything you need.

Make sure you've had as much practice as you need.

And have fun, jump about, dont let the audience intimidate you (they'll like to see movement as well as sound).

ROCK OUT!

hmm..

well being well rehearsed is gd,

take a SPARE GTR/STRINGS and make sure you hav a decent lead or leads,

plenty of picks or drum sticks, oh an BATTERYS for like tuners or pedals if u need them!

RELAX! DON'T PANIC take ur time wen your soundchecking get everything the way you want it,

BUT BE POLITE, Ian Christie is not as bad as he seems especially wen u buy him a pint!

TRY an ENJOY YOURSELF EVEN THO U MAY BE NERVOUS.

NOT DRINKIN IS A GD IDEA, LEAVE THAT TILL LATER.

GIVE 100%. i dunno wot else 2 say...

HAVE FUN!

peace out,

Danny.

True ....

Personal favourite momment was watching the Upstarts once and the bass player handed his bass and pulled out a trumpet....

"What the fuck is he doing with that trumper?" was the utterance from Mr Christie..... Followed by a "For fucks sake, bloody kids bands!" and he ran through the crowd and set up a brass mic in a few momments....

Initially the trumpet sounded rank but heh got a decent sound out of it pretty promptly and thus it wasn`t too noticable for the crowd..

I just laughed my ass off.....

Guest Scott 5FD
Originally posted by Ross:

the bassist as they don`t usually do anything but play bass and stand at the back.

uh huh, really? wot about a 2nd guitarist? are bass players not aloud to be crazy on stage?

:p

Some of this has prob. already been said before in the thread but I am trying to put everything I can think of...the more you play the more you learn what to do.

Have all your stuff organised before hand. If you need to borrow an amp/cab organise before the gig with another band or hire one from captain toms. Sometimes both bands will need a bass amp so renting one from somewhere like Captain Toms can be cheaper if you organise together. On the flip side of this don't let people borrow your stuff willy nilly. Some people won't treat it with respect so let them know before hand that you don't want them messing with it, better than seeing something abused. Most people around aberdeen I have gigged with are decent and used equipment with respect or have helped out by loaning something or other...

Drummers will usually have to take their own cymbols, snare and kick pedal...again make sure you have or can get...

Spares are important. Spare leads are a must...no point in waiting for someone from another band to come running to your aid, have some close at hand. Hoop your leads through your strap and around the amp handle...save you pulling one out mid gig...simple and saves some embarresment.

If you can manage take two guitars and two basses and plenty of drum sticks <keep them close at hand and same goes with guitar picks> if you snap a string it's all well and good being able to change it but it's easier to just pick up a new guitar. We usually take two basses and an extra guitar sometimes. If your going to resting before a gig do it the day before and play them in...otherwise you'll go out of tune easier...which brings me onto my next point...

Be in tune! This is really important and some bands don't seem to manage this in their early gigs for one reason or another. If you can have a tuner each but if not make sure your in tune before going on stage <for the gig and sound checks too> and listen out whilst playing. The audience don't really like to hear you tuning up at full volume on stage so the less of this you do the better...turn down or if you have tuners mute through them.

Don't arse around at soundchecks. Everyone will appriciate if you sound check in a reasonable time. Venues like Kef you'll have the sound guy telliing you what to do so that makes it easier, do what he says and you should be fine... Venues like drakes your more on your own, get you instruments on, set your amps, play a bit, adjust, play a song, take on board what they have to say about your sound, adjust again if needed...do not all stand around making heaps of noise individually whilst waiting for others memebers to set up...I was once subjected to about 10mins of thumbs, bumps, and random bass licks at Drakes whebefore a band decided to attempt a song it was awfully annoying.

Singers take a bottle of water on stage, better to have it there ready rather than having to ask someone to get you or having your voice go off on you mid set. It gets v.hot on stage infront of those lights...you will sweat! Taking a toweler for you hands by be benifical.

Relax as much as possible, if you enjoy yourself then the crowd are more likely to. Don't worry if you make a mistake, everyone does. If something does go wrong technically don't worry again it happens to everyone at some point. Crowd interaction is a good point, introduce your songs, a little bit of banter here and there keeps everyone smiling but don't let your mouth run away.

After the gig is just as important. Once you've rocked your socks off and blown the crowd away you need to clean up! Get your stuff off of the stage asap to allow the other bands to set up. Pack it up and store it out of the way, other bands will appriciate this. If your drummer has alot of stuff learn how to help him take his cymbols down, the quicker the better. Don't leave your drinks on stage either as people may knock them over...it's happened before it will happen again...

Originally posted by Tav:

Be in tune! Don't arse around at soundchecks.

I like this guy.

One more tip for bands in general though. If your next to soundcheck, don't stand watching the band, use the time to tune your guitars, check your batteries etc. Then your ready to go on stage and soundcheck without everyone else standing about waiting while you tune up/frantically run round trying to get a new battery etc.

Originally posted by Dechristianise:

Ian small question ..... are you the only like official Soundman in aberdeen as you do nearly all the venues in Town ?

Er, no. The Lemon Tree, The Loft, The Moorings and Drakes never need my services.There's also at least a handful of freelance engineers. I just work in two venues which have a high turnover of bands with the occaisonal freelance job if I can be arsed.

Originally posted by soundian:

I like this guy.

I got the don't mess around attitude from Lava when you soundchecked us. We learnt pretty quick that the best way to do it is to get on stage do what we're asked, play and song and get off. Even got thanked for being quick once or twice.

Originally posted by Tav:

I got the don't mess around attitude from Lava when you soundchecked us. We learnt pretty quick that the best way to do it is to get on stage do what we're asked, play and song and get off. Even got thanked for being quick once or twice.

When I'm under pressure anyone who doesn't fuck around gets my thanks. I've got to think of the bigger picture and most bands are only concerned with their little bit of the evening.

Oh, and when it comes to packing up, take the equipment off-stage as quickly as possible. Pack it offstage. Other people are trying to set up and an open guitar case takes up a lot of room, never mind drum cases.

No 232 in the Stupid Things Bands Do list