aberdeen-music

Bright Eyes - a pleasant surprise

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Ancient Mariner

I bought "3 new songs" by Bright Eyes TWO years ago. I thought I was cutting edge then. Now i feel ashamed. In my defence, i didn't know he had the haircut, the baseball tops and the politics at the time.

everyone suddenly doesn't like so much of that shite Mars Volta anymore.

Excuse me! I do believe a member of my band approached you about joining us, and he is a worshipper at the temple of Mars!

Luckily for you, i agree with you on them.

I think he has written some good tunes in his time, however i wouldn't class myself as a fan. I think he is very self absorbed and should try writing about somethingelse rather than him. I also feel he is promoting folk music in the wrong way. Alot of young people will buy bright eyes and think wow, who does conor like himself? Oh Bob dylan, right so he must be the meaning of folk. Fair enough Bob Dylan is amazing, but these people should start looking at other types of folk music if they say they are folk fans.

I think he has written some good tunes in his time' date=' however i wouldn't class myself as a fan. I think he is very self absorbed and should try writing about somethingelse rather than him. I also feel he is promoting folk music in the wrong way. Alot of young people will buy bright eyes and think wow, who does conor like himself? Oh Bob dylan, right so he must be the meaning of folk. Fair enough Bob Dylan is amazing, but these people should start looking at other types of folk music if they say they are folk fans.[/quote']

What are you talking about?

First of all, should you have given much time to Bright Eyes you'd find that he's touched upon subjects other than himself: politics appear to be his new forte (At The Bottom of Everything, Old Soul Song, Landlocked Blues, Road To Joy - all off the new record - are politically minded). You have to also consider that his songs aren't necessarily autobiographical. He's no more self absorbed than any other writer, or poet.

Second, in regards to Bob Dylan. Anyone who exposes kids to an artist like Bob Dylan should be praised, in my opinion, rather than criticised. I'm sure that if they claim to be genuinely interested in folk music then Bob Dylan will prove to be a gateway, opening them up to people like Joan Baez, Woody Guthrie and Phil Ochs amongst others. I just cannot comprehend how one person can promote folk music in the 'wrong' way?

Kids these day wouldn't appreciate Bob Dylan. I was greeted to many frowns putting it on in my common room. Bastards

I know plenty of 'kids' who are aware of and appreciate Bob Dylan, I mean, its obvious that most won't enjoy it, otherwise he'd be pretty high in the charts.

cheer up, not everyone likes the same music, which is good really.

Guest Cowboy Dan
Kids these day wouldn't appreciate Bob Dylan. I was greeted to many frowns putting it on in my common room. Bastards

My god Kieran, shut up. You're not some sort of revolutionary in the ways of music, turns out millions of people actually listen to Bright Eyes and Bob Dylan, get over it you pretencious fuck.

it seems mr oberst is a popular young lad

from www.aversion.com

Nobody will be able to argue that Bright Eyes didn't sell out with the singer/songwriter's recent pair of albums.

Relax. It's a supply-and-demand issue rather than a credibility one. Conor Oberst's reputation remains intact It's Saddle Creek Records' distribution arm that's taking a beating: After unexpected demand for his pair of recently released albums, I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning and Digital Ash in a Digital Urn, the label wasn't able to fill re-orders until more are manufactured. It's not like Saddle Creek didn't plan ahead, either: Between American and European sales, the pair of albums moved more than 200,000 copies.

My god Kieran' date=' shut up. You're not some sort of revolutionary in the ways of music, turns out millions of people actually listen to Bright Eyes and Bob Dylan, get over it you pretencious fuck.[/quote']

I don't claim to be revolutionary I just claim to like that certain music. What are you talking about? I'm hiding behind no pretense so that comment was completely a lie. What I'm saying is that here in the UK kids do NOT listen to Bob Dylan or Bright Eyes: only a very small minority do. And if you can't agree with that then I don't really care enough to carry on my defence

I don't claim to be revolutionary I just claim to like that certain music. What are you talking about? I'm hiding behind no pretense so that comment was completely a lie. What I'm saying is that here in the UK kids do NOT listen to Bob Dylan or Bright Eyes: only a very small minority do. And if you can't agree with that then I don't really care enough to carry on my defence

Actually dude, kids in this country can't get enough of Bright Eyes- all the dates have sold out now for the "i'm wide awake....." tour.