aberdeen-music

The Da Vinci Code

Metarie

its good in a big 'succesful holywood' sort of way, and it did entertain me.

'Good books' are said to need certain themes, and one of these is romance/love/lust/sex/desire of whatever you might wish to call it. IT was SOOO unnecessary in this book to have the two main character getting it on at the end!!!

Dan brown researched his subject well, but what is fiction is not fact!

The addition of an albino monk was a brilliant one, it makes me almost tempted to read another of his books to see just what he's all about. :)

There's a very good dvd on the market called 'The Da Vinci Code Decoded', which examines the 'facts' behind Dan Brown's book. Dan brown basically lifted most of the ideas from some very serious research carried out and written about by various academics. The DVD includes an interview with a couple of researchers who spent much of their lives examing the hidden messages in Da Vinci's paintings, only to see Dan brown 'steal' their work and make millions from it. I've been reading books on this subject for the past ten years or so, I suppose it took someone like Brown to bring this theory into the mass market.

Most of the information in Da Vinci Code comes from a book published either in the 70s or 80s called Holy Blood, Holy Grail. It documents the true mystery of a priest in Rennes Le Chateau in the south of France who stumbled across a secret relating to the Holy Grail while renovating an ancient church. He went from being a humble priest to a multi, multi millionaire overnight, probably by blackmailing the Roman Catholic Church. He died in mysterious circumstances, apparently taking his secret to the grave. or maybe not, because one of the things he spent his money on was a very extravagant church, which researchers have discovered conatins many hidden messages in it's paintings / stained glass windows etc. People have spent years decoding the messages and they lead to the same conclusion about the Holy Grail as mentioned in Dan Brown's novel. And the name of the priest? His name was Sauniere. Now where have I heard that before...

it's just plain obvious that a male and female character are going to get together, every single book.

I have to say that either I became brilliant at guessing the answers to the last few clues (the missing orb etc) or it became very obvious. Probably the latter :rolleyes:

It's a shame that Brown took so much of everyone else's work and turned it untp his own, but it would be amazing if it was true, i really wouldn't put it past the Catholic Church. No offense to any catholics here, but they've made so many shady deals and covered up so much in the past...

Looking forward to the documentry on CH4 on the 3rd of feburary :D

He hasn't got a very good writing style but he can tell a great story. Pity tom hanks is playing Robert Langdon in the film' date=' miscast of the millenium.[/quote']

Jen just told me about that. Can't fucking believe it! I mean Tom Hanks....''life is like a box of chocolates....you never know what you're gonna get....unless...you know..you look to the left when the clock strikes twelve...using the secret decoder ring which ISN'T in your pocket...''

nope. nope. nope. just NOT right.

He hasn't got a very good writing style but he can tell a great story. Pity tom hanks is playing Robert Langdon in the film' date=' miscast of the millenium.[/quote']

Oh god, he's going to be so bland. Much better with someone who normally plays professor types, Sam Neil maybe?

Don't fancy it as a film though, I can picture exactly how it'll look. It'll be undistinguishable from every other thriller. Latest Nicholas Cage film had a similar plot, National Treasure was it? It'll be the same as that :(

edit: just seen that Audrey Tautou is going to be Sophie, should be good but is going to make Tom Hanks all the less believeable.

Guest JockeySnogger

The ending was a bit disappointing.

I totally expected them to find the grail. Instead Sophie finds her parents that weren't really even talked about at all through the story.

I also realise that those who haven't read the book, you might want to not read what I've just written.

The ending was a bit disappointing.

I totally expected them to find the grail. Instead Sophie finds her parents that weren't really even talked about at all through the story.

I also realise that those who haven't read the book' date=' you might want to not read what I've just written.[/quote']

Cant figure why....because what you have written is complete shite...!!

Cant figure why....because what you have written is complete shite...!!

exactly. The ending is given away halfway through the book, then they leave it and at the end it appears again. The holy grail as a cup or chalice was a myth, the real grail (according to the book, anyway) isn't anything like that.

theres a program on channel 4 on feb 3rd or something about the da vinci code. I think its one of those, "what if it's right" kinda documentaries that play a long for a while, then rubbish it, then say "well maybe...."

It's not important anyway. The whole point is that there will never be enough evidence to prove or disprove the theory, just as there is bugger all evidence to prove the christian theory. Since I dispise the Church, and indeed any institutionalised religion that claims it can speak for an all powerful entity, I prefer the more humanist adaptation of christ's life. That is to say, he liked to fuck.

I just finished The Da Vinici Code and I think that it is a fantastic book! It took me a while to read as I was tring to make it last as long as possible. I think that it is really interesting that there are so mant symbols that have loads of different meanings. I haven't read any more of Dan Brown books, but after The Da Vinici Code I will try them for sure.

Guest JockeySnogger

No. You go ahead and opt for your lazy ways. You'll find out what the books about when in your own time when its raped by the film industry.

Alternatively you can read the goddamn book and properly enjoy it...

You're choice.

Guest JockeySnogger

Okay

1/ The author rarely gets a say when it comes to the remake and naturally, he/she has created this masterpiece and information isn't noticed by film makers

2/ Film makers will intentionally disregard certain aspects of the plot if they dont see it as being interesting to your average viewer.

3/ Books are 70 to 100 thousand words (approx) and a 2 hour film simply cant relate that accurately.

4/ Every time you turn a page in a book you enjoy, you get a slight sense of accomplishment. With a film, thats totally lost.

A film is good over a book though because its not very practicle to fondle your girlfriend or slide your tongue down her throat whilst reading together

It's total shite!

Is it fuck "total shite". Dan Brown has created a fantastic piece of FICTION using research details gathered by hundreds of renowned thinkers from down the centuries, tweaking it a bit here, adjusting it a bit there, he has never claimed it as a factual piece of work and I havent seen anyone on this thread claiming it was either.

Its a very clever book, well written, and highly entertaining.

Braveheart....much the same mix of fact and fantasy creating a highly enjoyable film (with the possible exception of Mr Gibsons accent)