aberdeen-music

The Da Vinci Code

Metarie

Aye, he used the research details gathered by other "scholars," over the years, and then for the most part ignored them. Did you not see the documentary on channel four on Thursday night?

As for "Braveheart," yes it was a good film, but Randall Wallace re-wrote Scottish history, and now there are so many misinformed people out there who think that it's fact. It's all tosh - for instance the French princess that Wallace made pregnant was only 9 years old and living in France when Wallace was killed. Bruce's father didn't arrange for Wallace to be captured. He died years earlier while on a crusade, and he wasn't a leper. It didn't stop the author from writing his book on the subject and totally ignoring the facts.

So, let us then move on to a subject which has less grasp on reality, the search for the holy grail. Scottish history is actual history, but holy grails etc are founded on legend. Some of the "facts," the Priory of Sion, for instance never existed until a hoax emanating from France in the mid 1950's mentioned it.

Next we'll be thinking that Erich Von Danichen's "Chariots of the Gods," is history. Naw, I think you'll find that this, like so many before is, as I put it earlier - Shite, and based on Shite.

Aye' date=' he used the research details gathered by other "scholars," over the years, and then for the most part ignored them. Did you not see the documentary on channel four on Thursday night?

As for "Braveheart," yes it was a good film, but Randall Wallace re-wrote Scottish history, and now there are so many misinformed people out there who think that it's fact. It's all tosh - for instance the French princess that Wallace made pregnant was only 9 years old and living in France when Wallace was killed. Bruce's father didn't arrange for Wallace to be captured. He died years earlier while on a crusade, and he wasn't a leper. It didn't stop the author from writing his book on the subject and totally ignoring the facts.

So, let us then move on to a subject which has less grasp on reality, the search for the holy grail. Scottish history is actual history, but holy grails etc are founded on legend. Some of the "facts," the Priory of Sion, for instance never existed until a hoax emanating from France in the mid 1950's mentioned it.

Next we'll be thinking that Erich Von Danichen's "Chariots of the Gods," is history. Naw, I think you'll find that this, like so many before is, as I put it earlier - Shite, and based on Shite.[/quote']

Yes but these things are presented as works of fiction....most fiction has some basis in truth even james Bond....if you choose to translate them as factual then your a dork...!

I think you need to chill out and accept it for what it is....a well written story.

Is it fuck "total shite". Dan Brown has created a fantastic piece of FICTION using research details gathered by hundreds of renowned thinkers from down the centuries' date=' tweaking it a bit here, adjusting it a bit there, he has never claimed it as a factual piece of work and I havent seen anyone on this thread claiming it was either.

Its a very clever book, well written, and highly entertaining.

Braveheart....much the same mix of fact and fantasy creating a highly enjoyable film (with the possible exception of Mr Gibsons accent)[/quote']

Ah luv ye...always huv.

S'cuse me - me present them as works of fact? I'm doing exactly the opposite - did you not just say that most fiction has some basis in truth. Which leads me to think that somewhere in your mind you think there may be some actual true facts in this twaddle.This is the worst thing about this type of fiction - it's presented as pseudo truth, (What if?) and suddenly it becomes truth.

It's always been shite - it's shite now - and shite it shall remain.

S'cuse me - me present them as works of fact? I'm doing exactly the opposite - did you not just say that most fiction has some basis in truth. Which leads me to think that somewhere in your mind you think there may be some actual true facts in this twaddle.This is the worst thing about this type of fiction - it's presented as pseudo truth' date=' (What if?) and suddenly it becomes truth.

It's always been shite - it's shite now - and shite it shall remain.[/quote']

Im sorry, i'll try and make this simple for you.

When writing a novel the writer will do some research, he'll aquaint himself with locations, historical facts, weapons, vehicles and all sorts of stuff that make's the story more authentic and in a way believable. He then inter weaves these gems of fact with the fiction creating an enjoyable novel, which is (as far as I can see) exactly what Dan Brown has done.

Why this seems to bother you so much im not sure...unless your Roman Catholic of course.

The Da Vinci Code is terribly written, really really ridiculously cheesy, and to top it off has a shit ending! I won't be reading any more Dan Brown novels.

Though i did enjoy reading the da vinci code. I loved the pieces of occult stuff in the book. Though i'm not entirely sure on how much of the information is true (yet to check up on that), but very interesting nevertheless.

The Da Vinci Code is terribly written' date=' really really ridiculously cheesy, and to top it off has a shit ending! I won't be reading any more Dan Brown novels.

Though i did enjoy reading the da vinci code. I loved the pieces of occult stuff in the book. Though i'm not entirely sure on how much of the information is true (yet to check up on that), but very interesting nevertheless.[/quote']

I have never seen someone contradict themselves so comprehensively in two sentences before

That steak was badly cooked and not very well presented, I will never eat in this place ever again.

I enjoyed it though, and the chips were very nice

I have never seen someone contradict themselves so comprehensively in two sentences before

That steak was badly cooked and not very well presented' date=' I will never eat in this place ever again.

I enjoyed it though, and the chips were very nice[/quote']

Ah, you may have misinterpreted me. It's like me watching a crap film, i know its crap, but that doesn't mean i cant enjoy it - even if for the wrong reasons. What i meant was that the da vinci code has very little literary merit, but i still enjoyed reading it (only for the little occult bits though, really).

And i wouldn't normally compare art appreciation to steak and chips... :nono:

Ah' date=' you may have misinterpreted me. It's like me watching a crap film, i know its crap, but that doesn't mean i cant enjoy it - even if for the wrong reasons. What i meant was that the da vinci code has very little literary merit, but i still enjoyed reading it (only for the little occult bits though, really).

And i wouldn't normally compare art appreciation to steak and chips... :nono:[/quote']

Fair enough....I enjoyed it, but I dont like my entertainment to be too high brow.

I can also appreciate the art of food :rockon: