aberdeen-music

Reading up on composition

Dayeth

My beginners guide to music theory:

Write out a melody then try and harmonise it (put chords to it). I'm guessing you will discover you can't do it, then you need to look up basic harmony writing. You will learn about cadences and modulation and all the rules regarding basic harmony writing!!!

p.s

It will a long laborious process which will consistently confuse and overwhelm you :)

Does anyone know of any good books (or any reference material) to read up on particulary orchestral arranging and compositions. Don't want anything out-dated and old-fashionably classical' date=' i'm more interested in movie/tv soundtrack type stuff.

Thanks in advance.[/quote']

that's a lot of ground to cover dayeth...everyone's right, you have to start with basic harmony and theory, move towards arranging, and then orchestration...all the 'basics' won't be outdated ever really, but if you're wanting something more contemporary, sometimes jazz arranging comes across sounding 'newer' but that's a huge generalisation (can't spellllll, hate it!!!!),...the main orchestration books that i know of are by blatter, kenneth, and shatzkin (three different books)....i would say though, go to the library and check out whatever they have there before spending your money, xerox a chapter or two and see how you get on...then decide whether you want to spend 30 quid on a book etc...or find someone to take some lessons with...in anycase, if you don't have people to play the instruments you're writing for, it's really hard to get your head around it...actually, it'd be better to find some friends that play a bunch of instruments and arrange different tunes for them..that'd be the most practical way to really get a feel for it...

b.

www.billthompson.org

Good advice. Cheers people. I write alot of orchestral stuff in Guitar Pro (believe it or not) which is going well but I just want a better knowledge of what orchestral instruments to use, how they work together and what each section is typically used for. I HAVE been studying "The Odyssey" by Symphony X and learning individual instruments parts on the keyboard, its a hell of a lot to take in though.

Good advice. Cheers people. I write alot of orchestral stuff in Guitar Pro (believe it or not) which is going well but I just want a better knowledge of what orchestral instruments to use' date=' how they work together and what each section is typically used for. I HAVE been studying "The Odyssey" by Symphony X and learning individual instruments parts on the keyboard, its a hell of a lot to take in though.[/quote']

yeah, it really is a huge subject...good luck with it :)

b.