aberdeen-music

Garages

Johnny Mac

Portlethen Garage. Down the back of the Academy.

Did they say what was wrong with your car by the way? If so' date=' what's needing done?[/quote']

Cool, i'll give them a call tomorrow and get a quote.

The following was said to be faulty:

Offside headlamp insecure

Front suspension - top bushes excessive movement, need replaced

Rear wheel bearings need replaced

Handbrake cable frayed

If I can't get it cheaper than 450 I think i'll just bin the car.

:D

I hate cars.

Lots.

Guest MarkJDelaney
Cool' date=' i'll give them a call tomorrow and get a quote.

The following was said to be faulty:

Offside headlamp insecure

Front suspension - top bushes excessive movement, need replaced

Rear wheel bearings need replaced

Handbrake cable frayed

If I can't get it cheaper than 450 I think i'll just bin the car.

:D

I hate cars.

Lots.[/quote']

Well that is quite obviously not anywhere near 450. But we all know how much a garage will charge for their so-called "labour"...

"Umm, yeah. That'll be a few pence for the part and umm 70 hours labour fitting it, bud!" :rolleyes:

Guest JockeySnogger

Take it to Cadgers Garage in Blehelvie. They are heavy drinkers and smoke cigarettes while working under your car.

If its not a blazing inferno when you go to pick it up, it'll certainly be about 1/2 that price.

Well that is quite obviously not anywhere near 450. But we all know how much a garage will charge for their so-called "labour"...

"Umm' date=' yeah. That'll be a few pence for the part and umm 70 hours labour fitting it, bud!" :rolleyes:[/quote']

You're correct that the vast majority of that will be labour. That stuff will take a good few hours to do, some of it like the top suspension mounts and rear wheel bearings take a fair bit of time. They aren't tricky to do, but you spend a lot of time taking everything off to get to them. I'd agree that Westhill Service Station are a great place to go. Their MOTs are fair and their charges for doing any work are very good.

Guest MarkJDelaney
You're correct that the vast majority of that will be labour. That stuff will take a good few hours to do' date=' some of it like the top suspension mounts and rear wheel bearings take a fair bit of time. They aren't tricky to do, but you spend a lot of time taking everything off to get to them. I'd agree that Westhill Service Station are a great place to go. Their MOTs are fair and their charges for doing any work are very good.[/quote']

Wheel bearings really don't take very long to do. Especially at the rear, where in most cases (and I'm estimating his car is a little older and not such a big car), where the brakes are drums. Believe me, I've renewed wheel bearings at home. The fronts are a different matter though, they require a press. But it's still a reasonably easy job. So, suspension mounts - probably the most labour intensive job in the list I'd reckon but really not that bad.

As for the in-secure headlamp and frayed handbrake cable. Well, they deserve a :rolleyes: - get the blind man that featured on Top Gear, I'm sure he could sort those out.

Westhill Service Station.

Hahaha...........thank you for that, I haven't laughed like that in so long. Bob Simpson and his minions are fucking cowboys. I wouldn't let them near the motor in my electric toothbrush. They have a worrying habit of "forgetting" to reconnect brakelines and other such important things like that.

Portlethen Garage. Down the back of the Academy.

Did they say what was wrong with your car by the way? If so' date=' what's needing done?[/quote']

We take our car to that guy....

he keeps doing our exhaust (well charging us for it) and yet the exhaust is still very noisey...

hmm......I wouldn't have said he was excellent to be honest.....but then maybe hes better than other garages.

he keeps doing our exhaust (well charging us for it) and yet the exhaust is still very noisey...

hmm......I wouldn't have said he was excellent to be honest.....but then maybe hes better than other garages.

So, he keeps on doing your exhaust, and yet it's still broken. Great workmanship there!! :down:

Guest MarkJDelaney

I didn't say he was excellent. But he's not a cowboy, and he doesn't charge ridiculous prices.