aberdeen-music

Quik and WBL on international compilation

Blair Quik

Ill tell you how.

A demo was submitted to a well known british label. They said they really liked the quik stuff and would keep an eye on them and want more demo's. Their roster was full at the time but they said they wanted to give a few copies to some other labels. Thats how impressed they were. For a label to pass on a bands music to other labels at no request of the band is pretty damn good. Lockjaw approached Quik about using one of the tracks that Quik werent even aware Lockjaw had.

Now thats fucking cool. Too little people pay attention to the quik material post "here comes the fall..." Well too little people in Aberdeen at least so i suppose thats not a big deal.

Tracks like "in dreams", "...and hope to die", "point blank", "Nicotine", "Burning", and some even newer stuff that they began writing before Ben left, will be unleashed when the band have the new drummer upto speed, are awesome. Real metallic punk that is pretty original and fresh sounding.

Not that they really care as far as i know as they are quietly getting on with things and getting on compilations like this (looking at the company theyre in this already puts them above MOST bands in Aberdeen) but maybe its time a few people here went and saw them again when they return to playing live.

Yeah that question's got me a few times as well. Perhaps it's 'cos we don't have 'core' anywhere in our genre. Although I gues you could call us post-new-school-punk-rock-metal-groove-core. Or perhaps we're just too old! :D

By the way, cheers for that one Dan! True story. The release date of the comp has been put back to Monday (31st Jan).

Yeah I'm in agreement with Dan. Quik have gotten really really good over the last year and a half or so, and the musical style is so different to what they were originally known for doing. I guess abilities have improved and they're now able to incorporate a wider mix of influences into their songwriting. I know that when Chris lived with Craig, all Craig seemed to do was practice guitar and teach himself music theory so that he could do more with his songwriting. Such effort clearly paid off.

Yeah that question's got me a few times as well. Perhaps it's 'cos we don't have 'core' anywhere in our genre.

Perhaps it's because the masses were all into So-Cal and pop punk and Quik played hard, yet poppy music. You were sunny So-Cal and so was the time. Then Quik progressesed on to a more metal sound while the kids simultaneously forgot how to spike their hair, started combing it forwards and listened to whiney, emo stuff... which is basically pop punk with 'feelings'. The band went one way, the masses went another.

At the end of the day I don't think it's a big problem. If the songs are good and the band is tight then you'll get a new fanbase. (Which I think you're already finding)

I never thought Craig liked the screaming girls anyway.

Sorry Blair. :p