aberdeen-music

Posthomous live mp3s of deadenstereo at the Moorings.

craig deadenstereo

That Is great :) I enjoyed Mixing it.

Would you recomend the quality to others???

Mark' date='[/quote']

Without hesitation.

There were some other bands on the cd flash sent me too, but I don't know who they were. There is a track I recognise by Contra - it's cool. Kind of Sublime meets Biffy Clyro. The drumming is ace on their track too.

Craig

p.s. if anyone remembers the discussion about Engl Amps, that's me playing the Thunder head, on the left channel.

p.p.s It may very soon be up for sale, not because it sucks (far from it) but today I heard God, in the form of the Engl Powerball to which I hope to upgrade.

Guest stuartmaxwell

the ideas we have of god is such a good song, didnt like AM much. great recording!

i am stupid, is that a sound desk recording?

if so has it been altered afterwards in anyway?

is that a sound desk recording? if so has it been altered afterwards in anyway?

*warning technical*

Yes err kind of... everything on the stage is mic'd up, so we're typically working with 14-15 mics. These feeds are then fed to a 24 track digital recorder via direct outs on the mixer. This recorder gets the raw mic feeds with none of the EQ, compression, gating, or FXs applied for purposes of the gig. In addition we have another 2 feeds from a stereo mic'd pair of AKG C1000S mics that are located within the room itself. These enter the recorder by a seperate dedicated preamp (due to the desk only having 16 outs).

Much of the EQ used during the live mix is to prevent feedback, and also to compensate for the crowd. There are gates and compressors set but obviously with only a 5 minute line check these are not going to be perfect.

The first thing we do is reapply the gates to the drums, only fine tune them much better, to the extent of making a cursory pass over each individual beat, checking to see that the gate catches them all properly, and using a little manual intervention where it doesn't. The consumes over 50% of the time spent.

Next we apply some compression where required (pretty much the same places it's required on the live mix), but really fine tune it to ensure the compressor catches everything just right.

Then apply a little EQ here and there, although somewhat less than we did with the live mix because here it's purely for purposes of enhancement rather than filtering. The raw mic feeds sound pretty good on their own and we don't need to screw around with them too much. Any EQ might just be used to provide a little separation where there are 2 guitars, or to place some air around the vocal etc. Just like we do with the live mix.

Finally it gets mastered with a little overall compression (just a smidgen really) and some EQ just to even up it's spectrum a little.

There's no over dubbing, for one thing it would be too obvious due to bleed from so much noise on such a small stage.

The finished recordings do sound remarkably similar to the gigs, just slightly more polished, as if we'd had a 4 hour soundcheck instead of 5 mins! For one thing we actually mix them on the PA - I'm serious. There's also the feeds from the room mics in there which are relaying the original sound from the live mix.

Camie am I right in thinking you attended this gig? Do you agree that the recording sounds pretty close to the gig itself?

Once the Funktion-One Resolution 1 monitors arrive these mixes should sound even better.

So I guess what's captured on the recording is the live performance, although the sound has been polished a little better than we had time to on the night, and we've dispensed with all the filtering cos it ain't gonna feedback on your CD player, so there's a little extra information on the recording.

Yeh the moorings recording quality is amazing. How much did it cost?

We did these for free because I personally wanted a copy of them heh heh. But had they been chargable then it would have cost around 120 the pair. It helped a lot that the band were very tight, that all the levels were consistent, and that the guitar amp was sounding great. We didn't have to mess around with the raw feeds much at all.

Yeah, thanks a lot for them - I'm really pleased! I particularly like the drumming. El Hoggo can have off nights (when he has too much sugar) but he was on it at that gig.

If that's pretty much how it sounds out front, then I believe we shall return to the Moorings, in some form or another.

I'm actually listening to a live recording of Fath No More doing Everything's Ruined for a radio session and the tracks we have are clearer and less muddy.

Yeah' date=' thanks a lot for them - I'm really pleased! I particularly like the drumming. El Hoggo can have off nights (when he has too much sugar) but he was on it at that gig.

If that's pretty much how it sounds out front, then I believe we shall return to the Moorings, in some form or another.

I'm actually listening to a live recording of Fath No More doing Everything's Ruined for a radio session and the tracks we have are clearer and less muddy.[/quote']

:D:D That's what I like to hear..

Some feedback also, quite often if there's a quiet spell with no tunes playing then I'll often play some of the live recordings. Twice when I've played 'AM', and these are the only times that anything like this has happened... someone has come up to me and said:

Customer "Who's that again?"

Flash "Who's what?"

Customer "Who's playing right now?"

Flash "Why do you recognise it?"

Customer "Oh yes, it's on the tip of my tongue, it's so annoying"

Flash "Well I'll give you 5 minutes then I'll tell you who it is OK"

5 minutes later

Flash "So have you worked out who it is yet?"

Customer "Ehm... is it Radiohead?"

Flash "Nope but close"

Customer "Ahh OK it's Muse then"

Flash "Nope - are you sure you've heard it before?"

Customer "Oh yeah it's a really great track"

Flash "It's Deadenstereo"

Customer *looks puzzled*

Flash "Deadenstereo"

Customer "Who the fuck are Deadenstereo?"

Flash "The band that played here last week"

Customer "Yeah right hah hah hah hah - so who is it?"

Just call me Thom Bellamy :p

Seriously though, millions of thanks to Flash and the guys from the Moorings, the recording quality is so good that me and Craig decided it's probably the best drum sound we've ever had.

Really appreciated, and I'm glad some other folk like it too.

PS I am trying to get one these ENGL doo-dahs now too. Sounds good to me...

FYI strike up a third hit for Radiohead... It happened again on Saturday night. A bunch of us were in the bar after hours playing CDs through the sound system, and I played 'AM' and:

Girl - "Whos this?"

Flash - "Guess"

Girl - "Errr I'm so shit at this... errr Radiohead?"

Flash - "Nope, but wait till the end of the tune and it will become apparent"

Tune finishes and in spite of obvious Moorings clapping and shouting related noises, made more apparent by stereo crowd mic surround sound type effect...

Girl - "OK so who was it?"

Flash - "A band called Deadenstereo playing here just before Christmas"

Girl - "???? No."

Girl - "Are you serious?"

Poncho Man - "Shit I should have got that one!"

• 2 weeks later...