aberdeen-music

Prince Harry: A Nazi

PrincessHolly

Guest haigyman

i don't see much THAT much difference between the prince and someone on a tv show getting exported around the world. They were both just making light of a historical event...HISTORICAL, it was SIXTY years ago, SIXTY. This makes a difference, if my mum had died and someone made a joke about someone's mum dying a week later, i'd be upset...but 30 years on?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

respond to my point

if people on tv (such as john cleese in fawlty towers) make jokes about the war...what is the difference?

Ok' date=' you might want to take notes...

John Cleese: very well known comedian, makes a living being funny, look up clown in dictionary.

Prince Harry: very well known heir to throne of UK, makes a living by doing fuck all, look up Prince in dictionary.

A comedian dresses as a member of the third reich and theres a fair chance he's going to make fun of hitlers Germany, prince Harry wears a german uniform and swastika armband and [b']some people see a nazi.

Guest haigyman

well those SOME people are wrong

and you missed out that prince harry is well known as the prince who actually has some fun

also the fact that he didn't just stroll out into public wearing a nazi uniform, or appear on tv with it...he went to a private fancy dress party

i don't see much THAT much difference between the prince and someone on a tv show getting exported around the world. They were both just making light of a historical event...HISTORICAL' date=' it was SIXTY years ago, SIXTY. This makes a difference, if my mum had died and someone made a joke about someone's mum dying a week later, i'd be upset...but 30 years on?[/quote']

C'mon someone making a joke about your mother's death no matter how long after it happens would upset you.

haha' date=' i didn't say a joke about MY mother specifically, obviously that would upset me.[/quote']

Nor did I say your mother specifically but following your hypothetical situation it could be your mother. So i am saying imagine how'd you feel if you were in that position. And you said you'd be upset thus contradicting yourself.

Guest haigyman
Nor did I say your mother specifically but following your hypothetical situation it could be your mother. So i am saying imagine how'd you feel if you were in that position. And you said you'd be upset thus contradicting yourself.

what? did you fucking READ my post? i said i'd be upset if someone came up to me and said a joke specifically concerning my mother, not if it was just a general "mum getting murdered" joke. Same as if Harry had strolled into a jewish household and shouted "kill the jews", then yes, there would be a reason for people to get offended.

what? did you fucking READ my post? i said i'd be upset if someone came up to me and said a joke specifically concerning my mother' date=' [b']not if it was just a general "mum getting murdered" joke. Same as if Harry had strolled into a jewish household and shouted "kill the jews", then yes, there would be a reason for people to get offended.

That is not what i said at all you idiot. I said i was using your hypothetical situation in which case it would be someone making a joke to you about your own mum dying, which you admitted would upset you. I think likewise jewish people, particularly those who suffered at the hands of Nazis or descendents of these people, should be really upset at Harry's actions because it is making light of something personal to them which shouldn't be made light of.

Guest haigyman

oh my god, i can't believe i have to make another post concerning this you complete tube. In my original post i said "someone's mum dying" NOT my own, you then go on to say "a joke about your mother's death", i then point out that "i didn't say a joke about MY mother specifically", you then say "Nor did I say your mother specifically". Now lets just compare these 2 quotes from you:

a joke about your mother's death
Nor did I say your mother specifically

you blatantly contradict yourself then call me an idiot

where as i CLEARLY state on more than one occasion that the joke is about A mother, not MY mother

I said i was using your hypothetical situation in which case it would be someone making a joke to you about your own mum dying

wrong again dumbass, my hypothetical situation never said anything about it being a joke about my very own mother.

I think likewise jewish people, particularly those who suffered at the hands of Nazis or descendents of these people, should be really upset at Harry's actions because it is making light of something personal to them which shouldn't be made light of.

this brings me back (almost) to my original point where i'm saying that harry isn't making light of anything personal, he didn't go up to a specific jew and make a specific reference to their family that died in the war. He went to a private fancy dress party. Yes, there is a good chance of him getting photographed, but essentially all he did was dress up for a party, he didn't intend for it to be shown all across the world. It was foolish of him not to think of how people would over-react if it ever did reach the media, but i personally don't see anything wrong with going to a fancy dress party with a nazi costume hired from a typical costume shop.

[three points from a letter in a local newspaper]

A) harry was at a private party, where people shouldnt have been taking photos for the press.

2) almost definately, someone at that party was dressed as saddam hussein, and/or osama bin laden. these two figures are as bad as hitler/nazis, so, why do the press not talk about them?

D) I am jewish, and so is my family. some members of my past family were killed during the war. This was decades ago. but for god's sake, let's live and let live.

for (2), you may say, fair enough about the other people, but this is prince harry, an ambassador for our country. he should be more responsible, as this portrays a very bad image for our country.

BUT

Did Harry dress as a nazi while meeting leaders from other countries, or while making a public appearance while representing his country? NO. He did it at a (as before mentioned) Private party.

yeh but still not morally right to show a picture you know will offend people. Perhaps not his [the photographer's] fault but more the tabloids. bah who knows.

YES.

oh my god' date=' i can't believe i have to make another post concerning this you complete tube. In my original post i said "someone's mum dying" NOT my own, you then go on to say "a joke about your mother's death", i then point out that "i didn't say a joke about MY mother specifically", you then say "Nor did I say your mother specifically". Now lets just compare these 2 quotes from you:

you blatantly contradict yourself then call me an idiot

where as i CLEARLY state on more than one occasion that the joke is about A mother, not MY mother

wrong again dumbass, my hypothetical situation never said anything about it being a joke about my very own mother.

this brings me back (almost) to my original point where i'm saying that harry isn't making light of anything personal, he didn't go up to a specific jew and make a specific reference to their family that died in the war. He went to a private fancy dress party. Yes, there is a good chance of him getting photographed, but essentially all he did was dress up for a party, he didn't intend for it to be shown all across the world. It was foolish of him not to think of how people would over-react if it ever did reach the media, but i personally don't see anything wrong with going to a fancy dress party with a nazi costume hired from a typical costume shop.[/quote']

Concerning those two quotes from me. My point was that i know you did not say anything about your very own mother specifically but in a hypothetical it could be ANYBODY'S MOTHER. And i was proposing that if you did put yourself in that hypothetical situation you would be upset about it. Let's do it as a little formula:

If somebody made a joke about the death of A's mother (assuming she died 30 years ago), then A would be upset.

This is the hypothetical situation, so if we substitute "A" for "Haigyman", we have:

If somebody made a joke about the death of Haigyman's mother, then Haigyman would be upset.

When i said that i didn't say your mother specifically, what i meant was that anybody, not just you and your mother being put in that hypothetical situation would be upset.

Now that pedantic bullshit is out of the way. I think regardless of where Prince Harry wore the uniform, wearing it in the manner that he did, being as fancy dress for a party, is still making light a of a serious situation and those who were badly effected by the Nazis have the right to feel offended by it regardless of the way in which they came to find about it.

Guest haigyman

you are actually suggesting that if someone made a general joke about mothers dying 30 years on from my mother's death i (or anyone who heard it) would be offended? lets picture the scene...

some guy: KNOCK KNOCK

me (and everyone near by): who's there?

some guy: dead

me (and everyone near by): dead who?

some guy: dead mum

you are suggesting at this point i (or anyone listening with dead mothers) would be upset, even though the joke is clearly not personal in anyway?

you seem to think this happening:

KNOCK KNOCK

who's there?

calum's dead

calum's dead mum

i'm sure now you see the clear distinction i'm making.

you are actually suggesting that if someone made a general joke about mothers dying 30 years on from my mother's death i (or anyone who heard it) would be offended? lets picture the scene...

some guy: KNOCK KNOCK

me (and everyone near by): who's there?

some guy: dead

me (and everyone near by): dead who?

some guy: dead mum

you are suggesting at this point i (or anyone listening with dead mothers) would be upset' date=' even though the joke is clearly not personal in anyway?

you seem to think this happening:

KNOCK KNOCK

who's there?

calum's dead

calum's dead mum

i'm sure now you see the clear distinction i'm making.[/quote']

You clearly do not understand what i mean by a hypothetical situation. Although i fully understand the distinction you are making. Just keep going over what i said in my last post until you understand it. And if you've anything more to say that isn't directly concerned with Prince Harry actions PM me.

Guest haigyman
why are you arguing about calums mum? this is a thread about prince harry's ace fancy dress costume.

i tried to create a hypothetical situation to get my point across, it seems however that jimmy jazz doesn't understand what i meant, and now for some reason seems to believe i don't know what a hypothetical situation is

i tried to create a hypothetical situation to get my point across' date=' it seems however that jimmy jazz doesn't understand what i meant, and now for some reason seems to believe i don't know what a hypothetical situation is[/quote']

I'm sick of this pedantic bullshit. Maybe i misread what you said in the first place but i can't really be arsed going back to check so i'm just going to leave it there.

Just because something doesnt offend you doesnt make it right.....

Oh for fucks sake.The whole "offensive" thing this country has going on at the moment is ridiculous. Everyone finds something offensive (Apart from me, it seems) and therefore no rational decisions can be based on how "offensive" something is, because it's all so bloody subjective.

Besides, I think anyone who whines about something being "offensive" needs to get some backbone.