aberdeen-music

For metal fans!

Hog

guess were going to have to face that dev on medication is just shit.

doubt it, he has been ill for years and in that time hes written Infinity, Terria, Physcist, Accelerated Evolution and Alien (the new one). Devin actually hasnt written much music unmedicated. The last SYL album was boring because Dev didnt really write much of it, its the first and only time he has done that. The vast majority of the people on his forum reckon that the new album is by far the by SYL.

my point exactly

Which in the majority of Devin fans are his best stuff. You must only dig Ocean Machine and maybe City then? Which since then his career has gone from strength to strength. His medication has changed him from spending a year on the couch doing nothing but almost losing his wife, band and friends to getting back to normal. I dont see how this corresponds to song writing ability. When he was truly ill, he wrote Infinity, which I assume you dont like, fair enough. You heard the new album Martybaby? :up:

Which in the majority of Devin fans are his best stuff. You must only dig Ocean Machine and maybe City then? Which since then his career has gone from strength to strength. His medication has changed him from spending a year on the couch doing nothing but almost losing his wife' date=' band and friends to getting back to normal. I dont see how this corresponds to song writing ability. When he was truly ill, he wrote Infinity, which I assume you dont like, fair enough. You heard the new album Martybaby? :up:[/quote']

i think city is a fantastic album...one of the best, as is ocean machine. infinity is pretty good and i thought physicist was average. i thought the first syl album had some fantastic parts.

i just think his sound has dipped. city has such a big sound, everything post infinity just sounds so cheap. production wise, it just sounds like minimal effort has gone in.

and the songs dont really hold up either.

syl were my favourite band for a long time, i really thought dev could do no wrong.

the last syl album, the devin townsend band album were just dire, boring, mediocre!

the new album is a slight improvement, but doesnt get me hard in the way city does.

its just dissapointing for something that looked really promising, a band that could make an impact to just become another boring metal band is really sad.

i think city is a fantastic album...one of the best' date=' as is ocean machine. infinity is pretty good and i thought physicist was average. i thought the first syl album had some fantastic parts.

i just think his sound has dipped. city has such a big sound, everything post infinity just sounds so cheap. production wise, it just sounds like minimal effort has gone in.

and the songs dont really hold up either.

syl were my favourite band for a long time, i really thought dev could do no wrong.

the last syl album, the devin townsend band album were just dire, boring, mediocre!

the new album is a slight improvement, but doesnt get me hard in the way city does.

its just dissapointing for something that looked really promising, a band that could make an impact to just become another boring metal band is really sad.[/quote']

I think the last SYL album was awful too but thats because Dev let the rest of the band write. Do you think that Terria was crap? My fave album that is man! ;(

I think the last SYL album was awful too but thats because Dev let the rest of the band write. Do you think that Terria was crap? My fave album that is man! ;(

you keep refering to the rest of the band writing that album, still had his name on it tho. i just dont think its a viable excuse because ive found a lot of his other stuff boring aswell.

ive nothing against terria, other than it being boring. lol

ive nothing against people liking dev either, i'm just going to have to admit to myself that i find the music he makes now really really bland and boring. :(

you keep refering to the rest of the band writing that album' date=' still had his name on it tho. i just dont think its a viable excuse because ive found a lot of his other stuff boring aswell.

ive nothing against terria, other than it being boring. lol

ive nothing against people liking dev either, i'm just going to have to admit to myself that i find the music he makes now really really bland and boring. :([/quote']

Shame, I love songs like Deep Peace etc (my fave song ever). I think the new SYL album is a real improvement compared to the last one and is a step in the right direction. Ah well, cant force you to like him lol. :up:

My opinions on Dev Stuff for all those interested:

"Heavy as a really heavy thing" - some great moments and songs but also a bit take the piss.

"City" - Genius. Chaotic brilliance.

"Ocean Machine" - Even better, one of my top 5 albums of all time!

"Infinity" - A few good songs, especially 'Christine' although also a fair bit of crap.

"Physicist" - Not a fan of this record. It's still Dev, but no classic songs.

"Terria" - I appreciate it's a decent record but I've struggle to ever get fully into it.

"SYL" - Hmmm.... good on first listen but haven't ever gone back to it. Not memorable enough.

"Accelerated Evolution" - Almost like a more obvious Ocean Machine record. I love it, 3rd favourite devvy album.

just bought the DVD but not had time to watch it yet. Can't wait for the new album.