aberdeen-music

Where can you volunteer for the tsunami relief

Birdman

no offence, like,

BUT they might need the cash more than they need volunteers at the moment. why not collect some dosh from your mates/family and send it off? in this sorta early emergency they will need to provide for the people suffering most directly. the reason they need to ship out tourists as quickly as they can is that they represent another drain on resources. Later on, long term, i'm sure there might be structured volunteer programs, to help rebuild areas etc. But dosh is the way to go

x

well I sent a mid range 2 figure sum already but you cant just throw money at a problem like this. I appreciate what your saying and idealistically it does solve some things but with a human volunteer there they can see that we are considerate and sacrificing ourselves to help those in need.

(not birdman)

They need both...so if you want to raise money why not go to a little thread entitled 'Tsunami Aid Fundraiser' and donate your services. Its all mouth until you pluck up the balls to do something constructive. If you actually want to go and volunteer your services as a relief worker, clearing debry and finding survivors, get a visa/buy a plane ticket/get out there(whichever country you decide to help in) go to the british embassy where they will send you to one of the many relief organisations. I wouldn't advise going alone though.

I would also advise that you knew everything you needed to know before you even set foot on a plane. You don't want to end up in somewhere like Karachi not knowing where to go, get maps and phone the embassy before you go(although it will be difficult to get through because there will be so many people attempting to contact relatives)

I wouldn't advise going alone though.

too true, plus you have to be strong-minded due to the fact that you will be going into a new world where there is a lot of carnage and suffering, and if you don't have the mind-pwer for it, i doubt u could handle it, and it may be more useful to set up a fundin scheme, rather than possibly facing nightmares, and recurring depression. if you think you can handle it, go for it, but maybe you should be a little selfish and think about your own future, as well as theirs, and maybe just do the money thing?!

i don't know, i wouldnt like to see one of my family members going off to an insecure destination where havoc is permanent, and thats purely because im selfish.

good luck whatever you decide, and you have a big generous heart. well done :)

As the british red cross say:

Please note that we do not send volunteers overseas. We have a network of local volunteers working in the areas affected and only send paid delegates with specific skills, such as doctors and nurses, overseas to provide support.

At the moment, til longer term volunteer projects are set up, and when un trained volunteers become more useful and not a liability, id send cash. lots of cash. much cash.

Guest Charity Case

Good on you for wanting to do something else, but at the moment cash is the best way to go. You would have to finance the flights yourself, accomodation is easily sorted with a cheap tent. It might be a good idea, if you do actually go to take some pots, pans/ladels that way you might, as a suggestion, be able to set up a small food shelter.

But enough, just send money its the easiest way. Or try coming up with a better tsunami warning system like an easily recognisable sound which people will hear and automatically hear danger even if they have not already heard it, like a welsh boyband covering boyzone in welsh.