aberdeen-music

Headphone advice

spellchecker

Looking for some advice for buying a decent pair of comfy cans. My current ones are giving up the ghost and are very noisy. More worried about the headphones not leaking loads of sound than anything else, as they're to be used for monitoring whilst recording, mostly.

My budget is probably up at around 100 quid max. I've looked at a couple of different pairs of Sennheiser, but also AKG as well. Anyone got any tips or advice?

ta

Looking for some advice for buying a decent pair of comfy cans. My current ones are giving up the ghost and are very noisy. More worried about the headphones not leaking loads of sound than anything else' date=' as they're to be used for monitoring whilst recording, mostly.

My budget is probably up at around 100 quid max. I've looked at a couple of different pairs of Sennheiser, but also AKG as well. Anyone got any tips or advice?

ta[/quote']

You need closed headphones to minimise the sound leakage.

well i was looking at these. The headphones are only ever going to be used for recording stuff. but of course i do e.q. a lot of the stuff post recording stages.

Those are just the headphones I was going to suggest. I have used them in the Studio for recording and basic mix reference (though not as good as the HD580's for mixing) It is well worth getting a set..

Mark...

If it's sound isolation you're after, check out these http://www.studiospares.com/productdetails.asp?pid=54171&cid=2402&ctitle=HEADPHONES%20-%20OTHER&gtitle=HEADPHONES%20&%20SPEAKERS&p=1&gid=2 based on the sound design of ear mufflers worn by workmen operating pneumatic drills all day for a living, they're supposedely very good, especially for drummers to hear the mix rather than the ambient noise of the drums! I wants a pair very badly....for mixing....DON'T mix with headphones ;) Although yes those senheisser's are nice and suited...anda bit more comfortable than the extreme isolation phones I'd guess!

DON'T mix with headphones

Why?? They really do let you hear things you would miss with monitor's alone.. I would not only use headphones, but they are very handy. I have a headphone setup which I take to different Studio's becaude I know the sound from them and I don't always know the studio..

Mark..

Why?? They really do let you hear things you would miss with monitor's alone.. I would not only use headphones' date=' but they are very handy. I have a headphone setup which I take to different Studio's becaude I know the sound from them and I don't always know the studio..

Mark..[/quote']

Heh, I usually mix with headphones all the time due to being in a flat, although I'll admit that I change everything the second I blast it out through a decent set of proper stereo speakers...everything sounds too good through headphones :D

MTA, being a man of the trade, have you came across the extreme isolation headphones I mentioned, and if so, do they do what they say on the tin? very tempted to pick them up as we record live in a "cave" and a lot of our recording is fluke/one off.....could be done with some better monitoring :help:

Heh' date=' I usually mix with headphones all the time due to being in a flat, although I'll admit that I change everything the second I blast it out through a decent set of proper stereo speakers...everything sounds too good through headphones :D

MTA, being a man of the trade, have you came across the extreme isolation headphones I mentioned, and if so, do they do what they say on the tin? very tempted to pick them up as we record live in a "cave" and a lot of our recording is fluke/one off.....could be done with some better monitoring :help:[/quote']

I have never tried them, so could not really say. but for recording in that situation it would be best to just get a good level to tape, then do all the EQ etc on the mix (if full multitrack).

if you could try them or some of the same Isolation type then make a choice. some of the really good isolation headphones I have used dont sound too good.

Mark..

thanks for all the feedback.

i do most of my mixing with a really old hifi, and some fairly average speakers right in front of my face. however, i find that referencing the headphones against the hifi, and picking somewhere in between, gets me the best mix. luckily the hifi has a 5 band eq instead of preset eqs, so setting everything flat gives a fairly honest mix.

at the end of the day, it's the isolation i'm looking for. i hate listening to my vocals tracks on solo only to find some tinny wish wash of a mix rustling about in the background.

Better than the vocals I record' date=' with drunk football fans, prostitutes and speeding cars in the mix :D[/quote']

I always manage to get huge amounts of train noise in vocal takes especially (given that I live about three feet from the Aberdeen to Edinburgh line)

Checking the train timetable to miss the trains does help a bit, but they often run late

the bastards