aberdeen-music

Physics Equations

Moshulu Rob

I can't remember any and can't be arsed to look them up. Can anyone tell me in watts what a peak demand of 4501 KVA on a three phase supply is please. I get 2.5million watts which can't be the maximum power we drew last month.

thanks

Rob

I haven't got a scooby' date=' but maybe this could help?

[url']http://www.abrconsulting.com/Conversions/elec-con.htm#kW-kVA

Guest onlynik

The only difference between kW and kVA is the power factor. Once again, the power factor, unless known, is an approximation. For purposes of our calculations, we use a power factor of .85. The kVA value is always higher than the value for kW.

kW to kVA kW / .85 = SAME VALUE EXPRESSED IN kVA

kVA TO kW kVA * .85 = SAME VALUE EXPRESSED IN kW

Therefore 4501 x .85 assuming power factoer of 0.85

=

3825.85 KW

Guest tv tanned

The only difference between kW and kVA is the power factor. Once again' date=' the power factor, unless known, is an approximation. For purposes of our calculations, we use a power factor of .85. The kVA value is always higher than the value for kW.

=

3825.85 KW[/quote']

applauds

Now comes the fun part tomorrow when I query our electricity bill of 20,000 with some inbred on their phone system, and try and explain why we couldn't possibly have drawn that much power at any one time.

next up - does anyone have any examples of something that might draw that much power -

EG 'no you fool, I know thats what the bill says but it can't be right because Pittordrie doesn't draw that much power during a night match with all the floodlights on. YOU FUCKING INBRED'

or equivalent

The biggest Dam in scotland generates that much power per hour but i'm guessing it'd take a village at least 2 weeks to use that sort of power.

If thats not too great an example then solar pannels stretching kilometres in each direction cant generate that sort of power in a month.

(not birdman)

The only difference between kW and kVA is the power factor. Once again' date=' the power factor, unless known, is an approximation. For purposes of our calculations, we use a power factor of .85. The kVA value is always higher than the value for kW.

=

3825.85 KW[/quote']

Using http://www.macgen.com/calcul.html#kvatokw I get 3600.8KW.

But, they are talking about *peak* power consumption, not average. If you think that a small oil-filled radiator is about 3KW rated, then it puts it into perspective. You're talking about your entire nightclub : Heating/cooling systems, lighting rigs, PA, all the regular lights, fridges, coolers, pumps, etc. What about the Bassment kitchens? Gas powered?