aberdeen-music

90's Hall Of Fame

Rob

I'm referring to "Fat Of The Land"' date=' in the same way that the programme based most of the case for their inclusion did.

Up to that point in their career, they were presented as a band on a par with Sheep On Drugs and the like. But with, ooh, dancers! :rolleyes:

It just seemed to me that The Prodigy were nominated more for their ability to shock and the acres of press coverage they received at the time than the music they made.

I'm not denying Liam Howlett's talented, but so are the other acts you mentioned, and probably more worthy of inclusion than the Prodigy.

Okay, maybe "uninspiring" was a bit unfair, but are they really on the same level as Dre or Nirvana musically, or Oasis and the Spice Girls culturally?[/quote']

Ah I missed the programme itself so didn't notice the broadcast included as evidence for inclusion I must admit. Kinda fair enough on the cultural or musical level I guess but they've influenced a lot of acts I would say. For better or for worse I'd have them in a Hall Of Fame of music :)

For me - any of the acts should go in but not Robbie Williams - Take That should DEFINITELY be in there but not Robbie on his own.

PS.Sheep On Drugs - opinions? Yay for me! :)

i think your way off the mark regarding the prodigy' date=' when they burst on the scene in 1991 they had a huge hand in getting underground acts out there into the mainstream, although howlett was responsible for opening a can of worms by having a hit single with childrens safety film sample (charly), at the time it was a vibrant and exciting record, the likes of which hadnt hit the charts before and i think the record stills holds up well today.

i really cannot see what dr dre has done full stop, care to educate me please?[/quote']

See! Prodigy rule! :p

Dre has produced and released some seminal hip hop records and really can't be ignored for influence and general good music aiding over the years - if you listened to everything Dre's been involved with over the years in one go I think it'd be astounding! Might be an idea for tomorrow in fact ;)

Being part of NWA gives him 30,000 scene points instantly ;)

I was surprised seminal bands such as Marillion weren't there if the whole emphasis was on innovative UK bands.

Nah they'll be in the 80's show ;) tho somehow i doubt it ;) innovative marketing etc, but not much innovative in music, thenagain i'd argue the same about Radiohead.

I think they have missed out a lot of innovative and interesting bands from that era.

I'd argue the KLF possibly should have been there,

and theres a few others spring to mind.

Cheers

Stuart

Just to let you all know it was robbie that got through in the end. hmm dissapointed to say the least!

you can bet that vote was orchestrated by kids who read Smash Hits and who watch the likes of Top Of The Pops and CD:UK, Robbie Williams isn't even a musician, he is merely a glorified dancer, you can bet had Justin Timberlake or Britney Spears been in that list they would've been voted into a hall of fame like this too, that much is a certainty i think

thats not a real vote, these people are the same people who vote the mediocre likes of Michelle McManus and Gareth Gates to pop idol fame, need i say more?;)