aberdeen-music

Amp heads... Advice

meiklejohn

Hey,

So here's my problem...

When I was younger I wanted to be Slash or Scott Gorham/Brian Robertson of Thin Lizzy...

So I've always seen Marshall behind them and figured it's the dogs balls, which let's face it for that kinda music it's all you'll ever need...

So I have bought nothing other than Marshall's since I started playing, I currently have a TSL100 head with the 1960 cab. However I've got more and more into the blues and lets face it Marshall's clean sound is a desired taste. I don't use any of the amplifiers overdrive, all my overdrive is coming from my pedals.

I guess what I'm asking is who else is there? I want crisp cleans for some nice blues but a head that takes pedals beautifully too so I can still have the amazing crunch of slash or the Lizzy lads if I want it, I've seen all the classic blues fender combos but I'm planning on playing this head through my marshall cab so not looking for a combo.

I don't know how much my tsl head is worth but hopefully I wouldn't have to spend much more to get what I'm after?

Who would you guys recommend?

Been googling for days and haven't really been drawn to anything so any advice is appreciated.

Over and out,

Scott

I wouldnt count out combos is my five penneth, you can play them through your cab no problem. They take pedals really - really well, especially your Fender ones ( HotRod Deluxe et al )

My advice would be, there is more choice of amplifier head now than ever,  go and enjoy trying them out and find the right one for you. You can pay what price you want for whatever you want, you can buy vintage amps, new amps or new amps that sound like vintage amps, whatever you want, someone will make it if needs be!

The only thing i would say is, if you are hell bent on using pedals you have to try out the amp before you buy it, some newer heads ( in my opinion ) especially the hi gain variety, dont like distortion / fuzz pedals very much.

Yeah bassman or supersonic if heads but a cornford head is amazing. Don't rule out combos tho as mentioned above if u are after a blues sound. I just picked up a 91 usa hot rod deluxe and is amazing. Put my bb+ in front of it and blues heaven. You can come along and try anytime u want. A marshall 4x12 will add more bottom end tho.

eh, back to a Marshall...

Try out a 2061 hand wired head.

Takes to pedals and effects exceptionally well, including time domain pedals. Notably has no effects loop. A very simple circuit using a pair of ecc83's and a two el84's. 

The circuit is based on a fender bassman. This amp has lovely bluesy cleans. Pricey though, but worth it. Essentially it is a bass and guitar amp in one, it has two channels harking back to the 60's when amps were expensive and thin on the ground, subsequently the bassist and guitarist would play through the same amp and head at the same time.

Now, plug the inputs together and we have a very capable amp with separate voume and tone for two parallel circuits that get summed back together.

Hughes and kettner statesman. They are awesome.

Have had a few fenders as well (pro reverb, deluxe reverb reissue and a supersonic)and they're very nice but the statesman has a clean channel that's splendiferous and a dirt and boost channel as well. They also take pedals really well. Plus they go for peanuts 2nd hand.

Edited by thomasw88

JCM800.

I'm not very knowledgeable about amps admittedly but isn't the TSL a much more modern, higher gain style amp, as Marshalls go? And not very good either (reputedly, never tried one)? IMO, just buy a vintage JCM800. Nirvana for both blues and classic rock and just about everything else. Fender Bassman I'm sure would be tasty enough too, but not ideal for sounding like Slash. Thinking more outside the box, if you can find one (discontinued, I think) Steve Vai's Carvin Legacy heads have really Fender-ish cleans and of course as much dirt as you might want. Someone mentioned Cornfords, which would be great for more modern aggressive blues, but way more to the dirty side of things than Fenders or old Marshalls; and you'd have to find one second have now.

Anyway, JCM800.