aberdeen-music

Ever Feel Like Jacking It All In ?

Diesel

I've been writing for a band that hasn't had a practice yet. I have a full set including a cover ready to go. But haven't practiced. Sometimes I just feel like just giving up on the idea. Or finding someone else to practice with. But that's a bit shit when you're in a band with your mates.

Well its funny, two months or so ago i was posting about having the bug back, now im pretty much ready to give it all in for good this time. The demise of the band, along with things changing in life has kinda lead me to thinking about selling my gear off and taking up knitting. I was really happy to have a band to have some fun with and a release every weekend, but sadly it never worked out, now the thought of trying to pull anything new together just does not fill me with enthusiasm.

I think i may have had my course of being in bands once and for all. I've got a wee Stayover gig in August along with what will probably by my 13 year old cover bands last ever gig and my 30th birthday, it kinda seems like a good point to wrap it all up and try my hand at a new hobby. I've given bands a lot of my life, a very large chunk of it actually, without ever really being that good at it all, but i had a lot of fun, and i have memories that will go on until my gringo habit wipes them out, so i think i got a lot out of it all throughout the years. 

The good thing is im not looking at it from a depressing, i hate bands, point of view, its more life has changed, and priories have changed, i have a wee puppy that needs looking after, i have a new missus im starting to see, along with starting to volunteer at a cats protection place, so i think my free time will be best spent focusing on those things for the time being.

I may revisit it all further down the line, and i may change my mind at some point, but for the moment i think im done. 

This is sad. Still be up for the quarterly jam with Ryan and Bob?

Guest Tam o' Shantie

i feel like if you're considering jacking it in, you should probably jack it in.

Kinda agree with this.

Without sounding all tough and serious, if u don't like making music why are you doing it. Nobody here is getting paid to do it...unless there are some wedding bands or something here, I dunno. Do some other hobbies that might make u happier? Some folk are doing that anyway by the sounds of things, good on them. It's kinda the key to a healthy happy life. 

Me personally,right now in my life, i'm bound to make music, i'm filled with anxiety & stress if i dont, and i think about making music almost the entire time that i'm not.lol

Personally speaking, its not that i dont like music, or making music, its just maybe a realization that being in a band requires a huge commitment, probably something im not really prepared to offer any more. I still enjoy playing the drums, and will continue to play them at home, but i probably wont be in another band. 

Guest Tam o' Shantie

One notable theme here is shitty/unreliable bandmates

Maybe some of these folks should try their hand at producing music alone, could even be a 4 track acoustic guitar type affair. That said, technology is so cheap and accessable these days that really full & lush productions can be made with a bit of practice.

• Upvote 4

Well its funny, two months or so ago i was posting about having the bug back, now im pretty much ready to give it all in for good this time. The demise of the band, along with things changing in life has kinda lead me to thinking about selling my gear off and taking up knitting. I was really happy to have a band to have some fun with and a release every weekend, but sadly it never worked out, now the thought of trying to pull anything new together just does not fill me with enthusiasm.

I think i may have had my course of being in bands once and for all. I've got a wee Stayover gig in August along with what will probably by my 13 year old cover bands last ever gig and my 30th birthday, it kinda seems like a good point to wrap it all up and try my hand at a new hobby. I've given bands a lot of my life, a very large chunk of it actually, without ever really being that good at it all, but i had a lot of fun, and i have memories that will go on until my gringo habit wipes them out, so i think i got a lot out of it all throughout the years. 

The good thing is im not looking at it from a depressing, i hate bands, point of view, its more life has changed, and priories have changed, i have a wee puppy that needs looking after, i have a new missus im starting to see, along with starting to volunteer at a cats protection place, so i think my free time will be best spent focusing on those things for the time being.

I may revisit it all further down the line, and i may change my mind at some point, but for the moment i think im done. 

The further I read that post the more the internal voice in my head turned into the voice over guy from 'the wonder years'.

Maybe some of these folks should try their hand at producing music alone, could even be a 4 track acoustic guitar type affair. That said, technology is so cheap and accessable these days that really full & lush productions can be made with a bit of practice.

I was thinking about maybe just doing this. But I'd want "real" drums. And even if I got some real nice sounding samples, I canna scream in my flat. I'd still need to go somewhere to record them.

Guest Young Adolesent

i couldn't agree more. Most of my recent fall outs have been because band mates bieng utter arseholes. Cancelling practice last minute when im like 5 minutes away. People not turning up. Ive just felt like theres no point in putting in effort in music anymore as its just a waste of time. Ive put hours every day of practicing and learning new stuff. For what just to get told no. Most annoying thing ever is shitty bandmates they wreck everything.

Nope. :)

Hopefully it passes Paul. 

(Plus, who would I sell on gear to? :up: )

Very true James, though we've not traded in yonks - wotcha got for me?

Ps - Got my mojo back. It was where left it. Thanks for the responses  :)

Edited by Diesel

Aye Paul, been there. But to be honest it's always been short lived. The thing is with me is that I've got nae big ideas about turning the music world on it's head with new fangled stuff. I just like to make a noise/racket or whatever you want to call it. Whether it covers or originals, in an old garage or a playing field in WA.......

So aye, I got/get fed up, but doubt I will pack it all in for good.

Aye Paul, been there. But to be honest it's always been short lived. The thing is with me is that I've got nae big ideas about turning the music world on it's head with new fangled stuff. I just like to make a noise/racket or whatever you want to call it. Whether it covers or originals, in an old garage or a playing field in WA.......

So aye, I got/get fed up, but doubt I will pack it all in for good.