aberdeen-music

Seas, Starry: Instrumental / Shoegaze band looking for gigs

TR!ΔNGL€ T€€TH

Why don't you guys have a manager/agent yet? You're good enough...

Generally speaking, there is little a manager can do that a band can't do themselves in my opinion. The only reason we have one is a) laziness and b) to co-ordinate five people who are old and have busy lives. The general feeling is we have all been in bands for years and don't want to deal too much with the 'admin' aspect anymore, and concentrate on writing good music and having a bit of fun.

In terms of a booking agent, they can be helpful in that it again removes the hassle, but there's nothing to stop an individual or band going directly to promoters with recordings to try and get shows. The agent will perhaps lend a bit more weight if they have a track record but if the music is good enough then you should be fine.

• Upvote 1

Jan, I will collate some promoter contacts in Edinburgh who I think would be interested in Seas, Starry. Largely, though, Edinburgh is a pretty futile place to play shows these days - but there is one promoter in particular who gets respectable audiences and ensures the line-ups are cohesive and worthwhile, and he's especially drawn towards ambient, shoegaze, and experimental stuff. I've left my booking agent days well and truly behind me, otherwise I'd probably have offered to get on board to book you some shows. :rolleyes:

I will get in touch with you soon with promoter deets.

Adam is generally right with his manager/booking agent comment, in my opinion. If there is a genuine will by a band or musician to go out and tour/book shows, then there is definitely a way.

There seems to be a bit of stigma in the lower echelons of music about managers and booking agents - as if a band has more gravitas or repute if they are managed or if they have a booking agent. Nonsense. I will always have 100% more respect for a band or musican if they go out there and do things for themselves. Managers and booking agents have skewed motives in almost 100% of cases, in my experience, and bands who are still at the 'hobby' stage would be best advised to leave managers and booking agents at arm's length, I reckon.

Anyway, that is an aside. This is about Seas, Starry getting some shows. :up:

• Upvote 2

Jan, I will collate some promoter contacts in Edinburgh who I think would be interested in Seas, Starry. Largely, though, Edinburgh is a pretty futile place to play shows these days - but there is one promoter in particular who gets respectable audiences and ensures the line-ups are cohesive and worthwhile, and he's especially drawn towards ambient, shoegaze, and experimental stuff. I've left my booking agent days well and truly behind me, otherwise I'd probably have offered to get on board to book you some shows. :rolleyes:

I will get in touch with you soon with promoter deets.

Adam is generally right with his manager/booking agent comment, in my opinion. If there is a genuine will by a band or musician to go out and tour/book shows, then there is definitely a way.

There seems to be a bit of stigma in the lower echelons of music about managers and booking agents - as if a band has more gravitas or repute if they are managed or if they have a booking agent. Nonsense. I will always have 100% more respect for a band or musican if they go out there and do things for themselves. Managers and booking agents have skewed motives in almost 100% of cases, in my experience, and bands who are still at the 'hobby' stage would be best advised to leave managers and booking agents at arm's length, I reckon.

Anyway, that is an aside. This is about Seas, Starry getting some shows. :up:

Thanks, much appreciated!

I'd dare say we'll likely be pushed into putting on our own shows, which is no bad thing, but it is a lot of work. As you well know, of course.

Thanks, much appreciated!

I'd dare say we'll likely be pushed into putting on our own shows, which is no bad thing, but it is a lot of work. As you well know, of course.

If you like, give us a shout and you've got an opening act right there.

Aren't you in Poland?

xx

Not any more!

Generally speaking, there is little a manager can do that a band can't do themselves in my opinion. The only reason we have one is a) laziness and b) to co-ordinate five people who are old and have busy lives. The general feeling is we have all been in bands for years and don't want to deal too much with the 'admin' aspect anymore, and concentrate on writing good music and having a bit of fun.

In terms of a booking agent, they can be helpful in that it again removes the hassle, but there's nothing to stop an individual or band going directly to promoters with recordings to try and get shows. The agent will perhaps lend a bit more weight if they have a track record but if the music is good enough then you should be fine.

Thanks for clarifying. I've obviously got an overly idealised vision of what having a booking agent would be like. ;)

• 3 months later...