aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Total garbage tonight from Arsenal, deserved to lose by 4.

Calm down on the lambasting though. 4th in the league, at least they made it to the final 16 of the champions league and still in the FA cup hardly worth sacking him now is it. Who could replace him?

I didn't see Chelsea lose two of their best players in summer and still Arsenal are arguably having a better season. Liverpool spent 100 million in the last year and aren't in it for 4th at the moment. Spurs big spending over the last 5 seasons is only just starting to pay off.

After losing Cesc and Nasri I would have taken the positions I mentioned earlier if it had been offered at the start of the season. Football fans need some perspective, but if he does go it'll be summer. Not now.

• Upvote 1

Listening to the post match phone in and the gooner fans are baying for his blood tonight. I think it's a knee jerk reaction to what was an awful performance but also Milan played very well. Wenger is getting criticized for not picking Oxlade-Chamberlain. Of course had he started and played shit then the fans and media would have given him shit for playing such an inexperienced player!!! Sometimes managers just cannot win.

I really cannot see who could come in and do a better job than Wenger though he does seem to be losing the plot a bit and the longer he goes without a trophy the more the pressure will be on him.

Milan are a good attacking side, but they are so frail at the back, I'm surprised Arsenal couldn't muster up an away goal at least. They were very poor in possession and wasteful all over the pitch. However, if the Milan attackers weren't so greedy, it really could have been a red-faced-rout. Robinho, the Prince and Ibra, amongst others, all squandered some great chances with the ball in dangerous positions, opting to shoot instead of playing a simple ball to the unmarked striker.

I still think Arsenal are having a very poor season. There's only one player in the team who looks up for the fight. The defence is LOLbad, and for some reason Wenger is persisting with Rosicky, who hasn't been good for years. The only reason Arsenal aren't looking so bad statistically is because Chelsea, for some reason, haven't turned up all season. If they'd have kept up the pace with the Top 4, as most would have predicted, Arsenal would be sitting in 5th, with plenty of daylight between them and 4th place.

It's fine to say they lost their best player. They didn't lose their two best players, as Nasri has never been Arsenal's best player, in my opinion. Had some good form last season for about 1/3 of the season, but fell away a little bit after that. Either way. they brought in a tidy £58million for the two, and spent only a fraction of that on reinforcements. I think everyone knew Arteta and Benayoun weren't going to fill either Fabregas or Nasri's boots. He should have spent money to replace Fabregas, since he and RVP are the only players who can be considered to be top class in that squad.

Hiddink for Arsenal. And for England. And for Wolves. And for Leeds United, or Huddersfield Town, but not both. He's not a machine. Tough job.

Also, I think AVB will be given time, at least until Summer. Chelsea paid an astronomical amount of money in fees and compensation to get him to Chelsea, which makes absolutely no sense, but they did, based on one season at Academica and one season at Porto. I think the fans would be in meltdown if they saw their club pay so much money for a 'potential' manager, only to see him get axed 7 months later. It would be a bad move for alot of reasons if they didn't give him until summer.

Still, good managers should be ex-players. AVB isn't. How can he fully understand, to the extent that a manager should, what's going on out on the pitch if he's never done it before himself?

Hiddink for Chelsea.