aberdeen-music

Is it possible to get a semi decent hifi or speakers for under 100

keeno

As above really. My hifi broke over the weekend and I need to get a replacement. I'd imagine the speakers are OK but the unit itself won't power up and it's not the fuse either. So I'm looking for a replacement. Doesn't have to be the greatest thing ever, just sound decent when hooked up to a tv and laptop.

It's my birthday in a couple of weeks so I'll get some money towards it, which may mean I'll spend a bit more for something better. It doesn't have to be an ipod docking station as I have no need for one.

Mini/micro systems are ok as it's never going to be played loud anyway but I'd rather get a more powerful machine that sounds better at low volumes than something small that sounds tinny when turned up.

Anyone got any suggestions? had a quick look on amazon but a lot are DAB and ipod docking stations etc and sound quality trumps features for me. As long as it has an auxiliary input that's all that is needed. Speakers alone would be fine too as long as their is a simple way of hooking them up using an aux cable, as I don't think my TV has any dedicated speaker ports. I'll have a look tonight

You should look at 2.1 systems, you'll find something half decent sounding for that price. I got the Acoustic Energy Aego M for 120 and it sounds great. I miss some bass with the smaller woofer but I'm in a tenement flat so that's kinder on the neighbours. It came with some great quality cables and has proper speaker connects for the satellites too. I have it plugged into either the TV or my computer but the TV passes thorugh HDMI sound so mostly the telly.

I'm about to try and sell a Sony MHC-BX3 hi-fi system if you're interested?

Sony eSupport - MHC-BX3 - Manuals / Specs / Warranty

No idea what it would be worth, but has served me well for years (just don't need it anymore) and sounds great IMO.

EDIT= To clarify, the speakers included.

Fuck, that's a blast from the past :p

I think it really depends on what your expectations are. You can pick up decent HiFi kit on the cheap second hand that would greatly improve on the sound of the other things mentioned so far. You just have to have a keen eye.

Nowt wrong with what Le Stu mentioned though.

Thanks guys, never thought about 2.1/5.1 systems. A 5.1 system would probably be too loud (tenement flat as well so neighbours in every direction) or having the same soudn quality as a similarly priced 2 speaker system. Plus finding a neat way to run all the cables around the rooom could be a nightmare

Samsung HT-C450N 5.1 ch - 500W Home Theatre System: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

But still futuristic looking. 8-)

These are probably my favourites so far. Lots of good reviews on the net. They look like something out of a space shuttle :p

Harman Kardon Soundsticks III 2.1 Channel Multimedia: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

DENON Stereo System Stereo Systems (Whole) for Sale Aberdeen Aberdeen

OK, it's gold, but Denon gear is usually good and you could probably knock them down a bit further too.

Minidisc recorder? Those things didn't last long at all!

Biggest problem with Gumtree is I can't drive! Home delivery is definitely easier.

Did find these though BOSE ACOUTISMASS 5 SERIES II Stereo Speakers & Speaker Cabling for Sale ABERDEEN Aberdeen mmmm. bose

Minidisc recorder? Those things didn't last long at all!

Biggest problem with Gumtree is I can't drive! Home delivery is definitely easier.

Did find these though BOSE ACOUTISMASS 5 SERIES II Stereo Speakers & Speaker Cabling for Sale ABERDEEN Aberdeen mmmm. bose

I used mini discs for a good 10 years! Great format IMO, especially for bootlegging gigs or recording rehearsals and the like.

I have a 5.1 setup myself and I definitely think the sub is the most important part of the package. A decent 2.1 system would be a good shout.

Any opinions on M-audio AV40's? I'm pretty certain I'll be ordering them.

M-Audio Studiophile Av40 - Home Studio Monitor Speakers: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments

If it's studio monitors rather than hifi speakers your'e after,then spend a bit more and get these.They ROC ! :DKRK RP-5G2 RP5 Rokit Powered 5 Studio Monitors Pair New on eBay (end time 24-Mar-11 16:36:01 GMT)

If it's studio monitors rather than hifi speakers your'e after,then spend a bit more and get these.They ROC ! :DKRK RP-5G2 RP5 Rokit Powered 5 Studio Monitors Pair New on eBay (end time 24-Mar-11 16:36:01 GMT)

Primarily just for plugging into TV as the sound from LCD TV's is rubbish. I do use guitar -> MIDI interface -> computer -> speakers but nowhere near enough to justify me getting proper studio monitors. 150 would be the most I would spend

Any opinions on M-audio AV40's? I'm pretty certain I'll be ordering them.

M-Audio Studiophile Av40 - Home Studio Monitor Speakers: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments

It doesn't say if they're powered or not. Powered monitors have the amp built in so you just need a line in, whereas this looks like it might need an amp, especially given how cheap they are.

Conventional wisdom woudl tell you that studio monitors aren't ideal for home listening, anyway, generally having a flat frequency response for production purposes. (Unless they're Mackie HR824s, those things are fucking beast)

If you want a proper size speaker/amp setup you'd probably want to go second hand, as suggested, or save up and spend a couple of months nerding through what Hifi. A mate just put down a couple of hundred for a basic setup and it sounds pretty tight.

EDIT: just read through some of the reviews. they might actually be powered afterall.