aberdeen-music

Debutant: New Songs

Guest idol_wild

Guest idol_wild

So I've been immersed in recording and mixing my album (at long last) for the past two and a half weeks, and I've stuck a couple of the tunes up on Facebook, if you have about ten and a half minutes or so to waste.

I'm still not sure what I'll do with getting the album 'out there' yet. I guess I'll stick it up on bandcamp at some point. But here's a couple of tracks that will be on it. One sparse, one not so sparse.

I've had a few negative comments so far, mainly about the production, but any more thoughts, be it positive/negative/indifferent, are very welcome.

Debutant | Facebook

Guest idol_wild
I'm guessing that you won't have anything ready for sale on Tuesday night?

Not album-related. Just the split seven inch vinyl. Which I suspect anyone interested probably already owns.

The tunes are really good. The end of King of Doublespeak is excellent, particularly when the ebow guitar starts and builds up thereafter.

The only thing for me would be a production thing, but even then it isn't anything major. I just didn't feel the acoustic guitar and the vocals blended as well as they could have. I think it was the guitar as I found it quite bright and clean whereas the vocals worked quite well with the reverb.

Otherwise, a very good effort and I'll certainly look out for more!

I've had a listen and immediately the production reminds me of Kurt Vile (who you recommended to me of course), which is a good thing! I think that these recordings have given the songs a new life to them compared to hearing them live. Subtle things such as using acoustic guitar works really well. The low mixed vocals suit, I'm looking forward to listening to the album on headphones whilst walking about town, it sounds like it will be ideal.

I do love a bit of echo/reverb Ebow as well.

Guest idol_wild
Did you mix the songs wearing earphones by any chance?

Partially, but not primarily - only to ascertain what it actually sounded like through headphones. And to eliminate clipping. But essentially, no, I never used headphones for mixing.

On the production front, in that "Silencing the Guns" the very clean guitars and your archetypal reverby vocals sound sort of weird together. Think it would sound more harmonious if the guitar was a bit more echoey. Not having a pop either but I just don't really enjoy this track as much as your other songs, each to their own I guess.

"King of Doublespeak" is an old fave. Again, not so sure about your whispery vox with the clean plucked guitar at the beginning, maybe I'm just hearing it weirdly. The song itself is stunning, especially from 2.07 when the second guitar (I think?) comes in.

I am nitpicking because this is in the feedback forum but I actually like both these tracks, especially the latter. In fact the latter is fucking majestic. You've done the hard part which is the writing of good songs, production is just stuff that can be worked out later, if you choose to take on board some of the criticism you've been getting. Well done! Looking forward to the album immensely.

Disclaimer; probably shouldn't listen to anything I say about this anyway, never having being able to sing, play an instrument, write songs or record them to any sort of reasonable standard

Guest idol_wild
I ask because on headphones the vocals are sort of intelligible but on my PC speakers they're not. The mixing feels a bit back to front with the loud guitar and very quiet, reverb-laden vocals.

Totally get what you mean with this. I've listened to these songs on several different mediums and it sound slightly different on them all.

The vocal on this one is intentionally quiet though. I just want the vocal melody to carry as if it is just another instrument (which it is, essentially). Ironically, they are the lyrics I'm most proud of. As I explained to someone t'other day, I hear the melody clearly every time I listen, but then I have to be aware that I know the song inside-out and probably hear it automatically, whereas new listeners don't.

Might give it another visit before chucking the album on bandcamp and strike the right balance though, it's been the major complaint of that song in particular. And I'm not going to be a fool and dismiss it, or get overly precious about it.

But thanks all for listening and your critiques. Highly appreciated, folks.

I found the balance of guitar and vocals on 'Silencing the Guns' strange on first listen but I'm listening on my laptop which has pants speakers. It started playing second time and didn't sound so off so it's perhaps a 'first impressions' kind of thing. I really liked 'King of Double Speak', the not-ebows at the end sound lovely.

I wouldn't change what you are doing for others. Go with your instincts, it's your music...

King of Doublespeak is just such a good song and I think this recording does it justice. Always thought your stuff worked much better live, but this captures it beautifully. Really, really great stuff.

To be honest, I'm not so keen on Silencing the Guns. Not convinced by the song itself and for the production I'd say the vocals are maybe a bit too reverby against the crisp acoustic chords. Just doesn't quite sit right for me, but that's just personal taste I guess.

Really looking forward to hearing the album!

Go with your instincts, it's your music...

To put my mixing comment into context I ultimately have to agree with this.

Might give it another visit before chucking the album on bandcamp and strike the right balance though, it's been the major complaint of that song in particular. And I'm not going to be a fool and dismiss it, or get overly precious about it.

If you can do all that and still be true to the above I think you'll have it. I look forward to the album.

Guest idol_wild

Thanks for all the comments, people. I have revisited Silencing the Guns and balanced out the mix a little. Some of it was a guitar placement issue. I find it more palatable, perhaps y'all will too.

I'm currently uploading the album on to bandcamp for free download as I type this.

I will post an announcement elsewhere on the site when it's available for download. :up: