aberdeen-music

Best Internet/TV/Phone Provider?

keeno

Just moved flat and looking to get a TV/Internet/Phone package. Options (as far as I know!) are Bt vision, Sky Plus or Virgin Media. All are roughly the same price (32-38 a month inc line rental.).

Requirements are:

- Decent broadband! Can get 20MB broadband where we live according to BT/Sky websites (just off Mount Strret) but not a necessity. Must be a decent speed for xbox live though,. and preferably unlimited download for this reason. BT don't seem to offer unlimited broadband ii their package though?

- Recording TV, sky+ box basically. I'm not fussed about this but the gf is. Also not really fussed about the channel selection either. Don't need a crazy HD movie/sports package

- Any phone line will do. Free evening/weekend seems standard, and some offer free calls to various countries. Free calls to Ireland (if any company does that!) would be a bonus and something we'd maybe pay more for.

From my own experience, BT do decent broadband, and Sky broadband has been a bit rubbish. Had a really patchy connection at my old place and their wireless router sucked. I couldn't get a signal in a room 4-5m away.

Any advice or recommendations would be very useful. Thanks!

If you want Sky TV then the combined Sky broadband and TV package is great value and their broadband was excellent when I had it.

Don't think you can get Virgin Media in Aberdeen as there's no cable provision in the city (at least there wasn't, I assume that's not changed recently).

If you want Sky TV then the combined Sky broadband and TV package is great value and their broadband was excellent when I had it.

Don't think you can get Virgin Media in Aberdeen as there's no cable provision in the city (at least there wasn't, I assume that's not changed recently).

Ah I didn't know about the cable thing, just checked and on the service in your area page does indeed only give options for broadband and phoneline. Cheers for the info!

Looks like it will probably be Sky then. At 38.50 a month it is the most expensive, but BT vision just seems to be a load of pay on demand or catch up content. Which defies the point of having a box that records things ?(

Anyone but Sky, we had them but wanted to change the name on the account from my girlfriends name to my name, in order to do this we had to cancel one account and open another, which we guaranteed would be a maximum of 2 weeks, the account was shut down on the 23rd december and we're still waiting for broadband, add to this the fact that i said I only wanted line rental from them if they could keep my number, and they ignored this, deleted our existing number and gave us a new one, and told us we couldnt get our own number back again, and that they sent us a letter asking us to phone them (which we never got, and we didnt have a phone line) to discuss it, when they didnt hear anything they just went ahead, despite the fact during this time I had spoken to them on the phone and they hadnt mentioned this problem. So really you don't want to go Sky, they're good when everything goes well but a nightmare when things go wrong and think nothing about lying to get clients.

Bt has been a bastard to my parents. So has talk talk.

You'll always get people having shit experiences with companies.

I'm going for Sky when I move out of my parents. Simply because I don't like BT Vision. And BT internet has went down quite a lot recently. And on average the speeds don't seem to contend...

I've never had any problems whatsoever with Sky.

I get all the tv channels (apart from movies and sports), broadband and calls for about 28 a month.

No complaints.

Before line rental I'm guessing? The one I was looking at was something like 26 a month, then 12.50 a month line rental or around that. I'm sure you can pay BT line rental directly but not sure how much cheaper it is. I think I remember seeing something like 107 if you pay it upfront for a year