aberdeen-music

The organising and the playing of Football

Soda Jerk

I genuinely forgot how cold Strikers can be. Ice-cold conditioned air in unhealthy lungs is a recipe for disaster.

Does anybody want to have a go at booking Strikers for Monday 28th then? Saturday afternoons at the ASV would suit me also (providing we finished in time to get showered and head to Pittodrie), but Monday is the most popular on the poll so probably best to try a Monday eve @ Goals.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd love to get a regular game going for us players who aren't all that great. Some of those old AbMus kickabouts were fantastic. Strikers on a Monday looks pretty busy though, ASV is a lottery and Goals will be cold, cold, cold. I know this thread peters away after a few replies but I'd consider a block booking if there were enough people interested in a regular game on a particular night.

Guest Gladstone

I probably can't manage Mondays (or any other night) but just contributing to say watch when you're booking with Strikers. Pitch 4 is fucking tiny - they charge the same for it as they do for Pitches 2 and 3, which are decent sized 5s pitches (big enough for a game of 6s). Pitch 4 is only big enough for 5s and even that's a squeeze - it's almost square. Nae length about it at all.

Pitch 1 is good - probably big enough to play 7s on.

I do think you'll struggle to get a reasonable time booked in at Strikers though because they run leagues every evening I think. Apart from on Pitch 4, which is why when you look at the booking page, it's currently available all evening. I notice that Pitch 3 seems to have availability at about 7pm, which is probably as good a booking as you'll get in Aberdeen on Monday evening (and I would possibly be able to pitch up for a 7pm kick off actually).

ASV is awesome, but very difficult to book a pitch from what I hear.

Guest Gladstone
Aye, I've played at Strikers quite a lot of times but have never experienced Pitch 4. Thanks for the heads-up.

Getting regular playing time at Strikers or ASV will probably be quite difficult but I'll give it a bash after the festive period.

Did you ever play at the astro pitches up near Balgownie? I forget what the complex was called. It was basically a square pitch of sand where the astro should be.

Pitch 4 isn't as small as those pitches were, but it feels like it just because it's square. It's definitely not worth the same amount as Pitches 2 and 3 - fairly cheeky that they don't knock a good £10 off the booking fee.

Guest Gladstone
Woah, woah - we play 6v6 on Pitch 4 and it's great...are you sure you mean Pitch 4, Calum? it's wiiide.

You must be the most static players in the world. We played 6v6 once on Pitch 4 and it was far too small. It's as wide as the other pitches, but much shorter which makes it look wide as fuck.

I wouldn't recommend pitch 4 for anything other than 5s.

The group I sometimes play with contains about 7 or 8 hoorin' unfit 30ish year olds and we all thought pitch 4 was far too small.

You must be the most static players in the world. We played 6v6 once on Pitch 4 and it was far too small. It's as wide as the other pitches, but much shorter which makes it look wide as fuck.

I wouldn't recommend pitch 4 for anything other than 5s.

The group I sometimes play with contains about 7 or 8 hoorin' unfit 30ish year olds and we all thought pitch 4 was far too small.

Nah, not particularly static tbh.

I guess it's what you're used to/how you choose to play, but we always find that fives on a pitch as wide as Pitch 4 just means that everyone ends up in a big line, because there is loads of space on the wings.

Sixes contributes to a shorter passing game, which is much better IMO. We play on that pitch every week so it may be that we're just used to it vs a narrower 'traditional' shape of pitch which we haven't played on since we moved from Goals about two years ago. But definitely 6v6 is better than 5v5 on Pitch 4 in my experience.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm involved with 2 block bookings at ASV, on a Weds night and a Sunday afternoon. I'll find out how to get them. Its with my old friends who I worked at the uni with though, so maybe that gives them some leverage, given that they work so closely together.

I'd be up for it as long as there would definitely be a decent number every week. I'm nae keen on turning up for 3 on 3.