aberdeen-music

The Twilight Sad

Guest idol_wild

Guest idol_wild

I know there are as many critics as there are fans of The Twilight Sad around these parts, so I expect the response to be quite mixed; have you listened to the new album, Forget the Night Ahead, yet? Thoughts?

I think it's a pretty fucking good album. I had almost written them off a little, as they had just been re-hashing older material constantly. I wasn't too impressed with the single, I Became A Prostitute, so I feared for the album. But it's a winner in my book. Am I the only one?

Guest idol_wild
I have the album, but haven't listened to it yet.

Sorry Phil.

I lose.

I thought both WWPJ and FR both blew them off stage on the recent Fat Cat tour. Maybe I saw them on an off night.

I haven't seen them live for what seems quite a while now, but I was underwhelmed the last time I did. But that was maybe down to being blown away the first two times I saw them.

I'll hopefully catch them again soon and hear the new songs live.

I'm a big fan of the new album. I enjoyed the first but there were a couple of tracks that didn't really do it for me. But the new one totally hits the spot.

I agree on the re-hashing old material. Don't think there was any need for the 'killed my parents and hit the road' cd thing they released. Would of maybe been better as a download or bonus disc or something. Although I quite enjoyed the 'here it never snowed yesterday it did' ep. Some nice moments on it.

I really enjoyed them live when we supported them in Kartta but the other times I saw them I was less impressed and I still think it was Tunnels vs. Moshulu as venue that did it for me.and I think we have previously agreed on the point of recycling material too much before.I bought the new album and liked it but I've been on a CD binge lately that has stopped me revisiting to really digest...

I only recently started listening to a wee bit of Daniel Johnston after seeing that documentary that came out a while back and have subsequently discovered that The Twilight Sad do a good cover of 'Some Things Last A Long Time' on that mostly acoustic EP they did, it's one of my favourite DJ songs I've heard thus far and they do a great cover of it.

Never paid too much attention to them the first time around, then went back and listened to the first album after seeing them at the Celtic Connections thing at Glasgow and really enjoyed it.

As much as I like the their normal MBV-esque guitar stuff I really liked the stripped down versions of the songs on 'Here It Never Snowed. Afterwards It Did' with all the fan organ and the light percussion.

Haven't got the new album yet, it's on my 'next to purchase' list.

I am pretty much echoing other peoples' thoughts, but I was wary after the constant re-releasing of old material. So, it is a very good thing that the album is quite brilliant. There is quite a Joy Division tinge to some of the songs on the new record.

They were fucking brilliant when they played with Kartta at the Tunnels.