aberdeen-music

HD TVs - settings

Ghostwriter

Hey..

So I've just bought a new bedroom sized hd tv - Samsung T220HD. I was wondering if anyone could recommend optimum picture and sound settings for lcd screens?

Thanks

Forget anyone elses ideas of what is and isn't numerically the "right" settings. Your sight is the most important tool in screen settings as it's you that's watching it.

What i will say though is turn down the brightness and backlight settings, not only do they use more power and reduce the life-span of your TV if ramped up to the max but they also affect the sharpness of images on the screen. You don't want to be seeing any Haloing or blurring of edges. Also, turn off or at least turn down all the image "enhancers" that the manufacturer seems to think might help the picture: they're shite.

Ideally, if you've got time and the set has provision for it, you should alter and save settings for all the inputs on the TV (or monitor in this screens case) as each device will have different picture qualities etc.

If you have a THX approved DVD disc (something like Finding Nemo or Pirates of The Carribean) there is a useful picture calibration tool on there. If you fancy forking out for a calibration tool there is a device on the market called the Spyder that is very useful.

Also, make sure you do it in usual lighting conditions for the TVs location and at the distance you're sitting from the set itself.

:up:

• Upvote 1

Forget anyone elses ideas of what is and isn't numerically the "right" settings. Your sight is the most important tool in screen settings as it's you that's watching it.

What i will say though is turn down the brightness and backlight settings, not only do they use more power and reduce the life-span of your TV if ramped up to the max but they also affect the sharpness of images on the screen. You don't want to be seeing any Haloing or blurring of edges. Also, turn off or at least turn down all the image "enhancers" that the manufacturer seems to think might help the picture: they're shite.

Ideally, if you've got time and the set has provision for it, you should alter and save settings for all the inputs on the TV (or monitor in this screens case) as each device will have different picture qualities etc.

If you have a THX approved DVD disc (something like Finding Nemo or Pirates of The Carribean) there is a useful picture calibration tool on there. If you fancy forking out for a calibration tool there is a device on the market called the Spyder that is very useful.

Also, make sure you do it in usual lighting conditions for the TVs location and at the distance you're sitting from the set itself.

Thanks Al, some good advice there for us all...

Here's Tom, with the weather.

Ok, thanks for the advise.

I think I might have Pirates of the Caribbean kicking about somewhere but I actually think that Zelda for the Wii has a set up guide thing too.. I'll check that later today.

The other thing that'll help enormously is having it close to eye level and square-on to where you'll be sitting. The model you have is really a computer monitor/TV combo and, while Samsungs are really smart looking and great value for money, their low end range use cheap panels which have poor viewing angles,and this can cause quite perceptible colour shift, especially when viewed from above or below.

Ok, thanks for the advise.

I think I might have Pirates of the Caribbean kicking about somewhere but I actually think that Zelda for the Wii has a set up guide thing too.. I'll check that later today.

Depending on what the Zelda one offers i'd stick to only using that to do settings for the Wii's input on the TV (Component?) as the THX ones are pretty much industry standard. Dunno if the Zelda one is THX or not.

The other thing that'll help enormously is having it close to eye level and square-on to where you'll be sitting. The model you have is really a computer monitor/TV combo and, while Samsungs are really smart looking and great value for money, their low end range use cheap panels which have poor viewing angles,and this can cause quite perceptible colour shift, especially when viewed from above or below.

Yeh, I've read a few articles about their limited screen movement due to the bracket that's used in the base.

I've already got it set up on a surface that is pretty close to perfect for the level for viewing.. just a bit of tweaking with the brightness settings etc. and it should be ok.

I'm not entirely sure if this is sarcasm or not but hey, i'm only here to help/offer an opinion..

Not sarcasm at all, just genuinely bigging you up in a humorous fashion. Or so I thought, but I haven't slept for two days. But I knew you'd come up with the goods.

FWIW I have an almost identical TV and I have just set it up using the THX thing which I didn't know about, thank you.

Not sarcasm at all, just genuinely bigging you up in a humorous fashion. Or so I thought, but I haven't slept for two days. But I knew you'd come up with the goods.

FWIW I have an almost identical TV and I have just set it up using the THX thing which I didn't know about, thank you.

No probs, just seems like sometimes folks have a pop just for the sake of it.

Thats a point actually. Its mainly being used as a pc screen.

I'll have a nosy this weekend if it looks better with an HD source.

Ta.

There will be a screen resolution setting on the PC itself but bear in mind that PC resolutions don't always match TV resolutions. Find out what your TV res is and match appropriatly in the PC settings.