aberdeen-music

lightweight guitars

Sean

im thinking of investing in a new guitar.

my twig-like frame would prefer something a little lighter... with tons of rippin' crunch.

so, anyone recommend me some lightweight guitars? specific lightweight wood? eg... maple? or whatever.

my budget splutters out at around 450 tops.

hmm, best bet is to get to a music shop and try out a few guitars, sitting down and standing with it on a strap, i used to like light guitars, and am pretty weakly built, but i got a pretty heavy guitar and i like it, makes it feel more solid,

basically the best bet is to try for yourself, bruce millers and r'n'b have quite a few different guitars between them, try out the ibanez talman r'n'b have, its very light (built semi acoustically) but i cant remember the price, could also give cort a look (in r'n'b again) not sure of the weights but very very good guitars for the money, you could probably get one with emgs (the real ones not the passive bollocks) or duncans (again real duncans not duncan designed) for you budget

David

David

Originally posted by Paulscoconutass

Lats year i bought a peavey v-type, pretty lightweight, sexy, smaller than your avarage guitar and only 395 or something like that. However i did make the mistake of buying one with a floyd rose - if you can i'd order the string thru body model.

v_type_usa.jpg

My baby - but dont get the floyd rose - unless you can dig the hassle

floyds are easy to use as long as you know what your doing, if you need any help pm me and i shall try to help out

they can take a bit of time to set up and get playing but once your sorted they are great to use and easy enough to work

David

Originally posted by David

floyds are easy to use as long as you know what your doing, if you need any help pm me and i shall try to help out

they can take a bit of time to set up and get playing but once your sorted they are great to use and easy enough to work

David

Yeah, but if you're playing live and you break a string, all the strings go out of tune, where's if you break a string on a guitar with a non floyd rose/floating vibrato it might be possible to keep playing till the end of the song.

But as for the straps, a wider strap might be able to distribute the weight of a heavy guitar a bit better.

could also give cort a look (in r'n'b again) not sure of the weights but very very good guitars for the money,

Indeed, the Cort is an excellent guitar for the money (I use one as my main guitar) but don't buy it if you want something light. It's pretty heavy. Ibanez AX series guitars are quite light. I haven't played mine for a while but I seem to remember being able to throw it around quite easily. Also some of the newer Schecter models are REALLY light.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Originally posted by The Tourist

The only tip you need for Floyd Roses:

Get a bit of wood and stick it under it. Disabled.

Thats what i've done - i've also blocked the trem on my squier. thers no need for them in the songs that i play and write - its also handy for when a string snaps on either.

I tried getting more spring's to pull the trem back but it was more bother than the wood.

hence i no longer have a roblem with the floyd rose - cept it takes at least 3 times longer to tune - another advantage of the peavey is that it has lock's at the top of the kneck and a minor tuning device (the name ascapes me) at the bridge. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Graham

Yeah, but if you're playing live and you break a string, all the strings go out of tune, where's if you break a string on a guitar with a non floyd rose/floating vibrato it might be possible to keep playing till the end of the song.

But as for the straps, a wider strap might be able to distribute the weight of a heavy guitar a bit better.

spare guitar, plus a friend with some guitar knowledge at the side of the stage, sorted

David

spare guitar, plus a friend with some guitar knowledge at the side of the stage, sorted

David

But what if the part of the song where you break the string has just has guitar playing on its own? Its going to sound and look pretty stupid to just stop and then get a friend to pass another guitar. At least with a guitar with a normal vibrato/hard tail you could keep going until the end of the song/an available moment to change guitar. Plus I don't have any friends, let alone any with guitar knowledge who would play roadie for me.

Originally posted by Graham

But what if the part of the song where you break the string has just has guitar playing on its own? Its going to sound and look pretty stupid to just stop and then get a friend to pass another guitar. At least with a guitar with a normal vibrato/hard tail you could keep going until the end of the song/an available moment to change guitar. Plus I don't have any friends, let alone any with guitar knowledge who would play roadie for me.

bad luck then, make do with an out of tune one or attempt some whammy bar acrobatics to fill the space

there are bad points about floyds, but i like the good parts enough to take the chance

David

Guest neil ex

i don't really know anything about guitars, but sg's are light and cool,,,,,,,, just a thought

i'm going to buy a telecaster i think, and maybe a cheap strat aswell but probably not for a long time X(