aberdeen-music

Final Aberdeen Kitchen Cynics gig with Jo McCafferty anf Miss Becca, 16th June

A great chance to see a variety of different genres from the folk stylings of the Kitchen Cynics through to the pop sensibilities of Miss Becca and the indie rock of Jo McCafferty.

Tuesday June 16th, 3 entry

The Kitchen Cynics

Kitchen Cynics on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Do the Kitchen Cynics need an introduction - probably not, but i should anyway, so I nicked this from another site:

Alan Davidson of Aberdeen, Scotland is the Kitchen Cynics. Alan has worked as an Art Teacher in a local school for more than 20 years. Born in 1956, he didn't start making music until he was in his late twenties. Over the years he has put out many tapes and CD-Rs, but official releases have come out on the Get Happy label of Germany, the Pink Lemon label (also Germany), Audiobot (Belgium) and the Secret Eye label (Rhode Island USA). Although Alan has released more than 20 LPs, 7"s, cassettes and CDs since 1990, The Kitchen Cynics had never played live until being invited to join Tom Rapp onstage in Boston at Terrastock 5 (2002). This was followed soon after by a radio sessson for WFMU, recorded at WNYC. Since then there have been several live performances, with acts such as PG Six, Black Forest/Black Sea, Alasdair Roberts, Thomas Truax, Schwervon, Amy Rigby and Sharron Kraus.

Miss Becca

Miss Becca on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Miss Becca started writing and playing at the tender age of 15, taking a

huge range of influences from all eras and many genres. Miss Becca has

played regularly in various venues around Scotland, including The Tunnels,

Oran Mor and The Lemon Tree. Throughout the last year or so she has done

several live sessions for various Radio Stations including Radio Scotland,

Moray Firth Radio, and was SHMU Radios album of the week, as well as

sessions for Red TV, shown on Sky. Within this time Becca was short-listed

in the final 5 acts for Bauer Radios Rock Against Racism gig with Amy

MacDonald. Becca now often plays with the Miss Becca Band but this is a solo gig.

Jo McCafferty

Jo McCafferty on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Jo's last album Papercuts and Lime (released in 2004) was a breakthrough album

in many ways garnering strong reviews, decent sales (selling out several

pressings - and still selling comparatively well) and national radioplay for tracks such as Dangerous Ground. In the interim between these albums Jo has played with played with, amongst others, Midge Ure, Glenn Tilbrook, Marillion, The Dresden Dolls, The Bluetones, the Grim Northern Social, John Young, David Kitts and had dates with Donnie Munro

(Runrig) and Fish.

Jo is finally recording her new album 'Overtaking on a Bend' for release in Autumn 2009, this will be her first full band album, and promises to be an interesting affair.Her first demo from it is available on youtube: Running out of Air video

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This should be an interesting evening with a decent variety, something for everyone, I'm looking forward to seeing all the acta and it'll be great to hear previews from Jo's forthcoming album in her first set in Aberdeen for over a year.

Sadly this is the final Aberdeen Kitchen Cynics gig :(

Hope to see some people there, kicks off about 8ish.

After reading this -

jester1470

09-06-2009

*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings

Price: 3

Line-up: Kitchen Cynics, Miss Becca and Jo McCafferty

Start Time: 8ish

I went to the gig on Tues, but it was other bands

It was shifted to next Tuesday, Biz.

Jester - any idea of running order/times?

Any request from you or your better half?

Running order will be decided on the night i think, we'll be down from about 6.30/7 I think.

Do you have a preference Alan ?

Maria Midnight, Torry Ferry, Richard in Bedlam, Rue Boneaparte, the usual stuff :) Maybe the Boddamers hanged the monkey ;)

Could some kind mod take it off the 21st June on the Calendar and change it to the 16th which is where it should be :)

Cheers

Stuart

Hope to see some people there, kicks off about 8ish.

If we can find out where "there" is, me and Mr B are hoping to make it along.

(dreaded lurgy permitting...)

Update. Doh ... calendar says it's Drummonds. This cold has definitely killed off some of the more useful brain cells ...

Those of you who were not at Drummonds last night missed a night to remember. Alan gave a never to be forgotten performance that earned him a standing ovation. A brilliant set, and a superb evenings entertainment.

Many thanks Alan.

Agreed, many thanks for doing the gig, and especially the Boddomers hanged the Monkey :)

Thanks folks....I enjoyed the night a lot :) Jo was on good form, and I was enjoying Miss Becca a lot too, but had to nip off for the last bus (school night, sadly). Many thanks to Jester for putting it all on.

Hog...very sorry to hear about your Grandfather. Hope you get through things OK.