aberdeen-music

Edinburgh - Job/Property Advice

Guest idol_wild

Guest idol_wild

I've done a fair bit of googling and research but I figured it'd be good to seek advice, as some of you may be in the know directly or, indeed, may know people who can advise.

I'm seeking suitable recruitment agencies/job resources in Edinburgh. I'm trained with nearly 2 years experience in quality assurance/management systems (I can develop and implement entire systems to pretty much any industry) and health and safety co-ordination. Ideally, I'd like to continue with this avenue, so if there are any agencies you can point me in the direction of, that'd be super.

I'd also really appreciate advice on any property leasing firms. Preferrably good ones.

I know Bigsby is down that way and perhaps one or two others are/have been?

Any general input/advice about living/moving there is greatly appreciated. :up:

I haven't been looking for a job, Mrs Bigsby was for a while but has pretty much given up. Things seem fairly screwed down here to be honest, at least Aberdeen's got the oil to keep it ticking over but Edinburgh's fairly dependent on the financal side of things which has of course taken a big hit. To be fair Mrs Bigsby was looking for something part time to fit around childcare so maybe not particularly representative, but there was one job she went for that had 900 applicants! I do just get the feeling though that the job market is generally fucked here, maybe not in your line of work though.

Property wise I guess it depends what you want, if it's a flatshare then Gumtree's probably you're best bet, if you want a whole flat then check out ESPC - Edinburgh property for sale or rent

Sorry that's not really much help, but lets have a jam if/when you move down. :up:

Guest idol_wild
I haven't been looking for a job, Mrs Bigsby was for a while but has pretty much given up. Things seem fairly screwed down here to be honest, at least Aberdeen's got the oil to keep it ticking over but Edinburgh's fairly dependent on the financal side of things which has of course taken a big hit. To be fair Mrs Bigsby was looking for something part time to fit around childcare so maybe not particularly representative, but there was one job she went for that had 900 applicants! I do just get the feeling though that the job market is generally fucked here, maybe not in your line of work though.

Property wise I guess it depends what you want, if it's a flatshare then Gumtree's probably you're best bet, if you want a whole flat then check out ESPC - Edinburgh property for sale or rent

Sorry that's not really much help, but lets have a jam if/when you move down. :up:

That's a useful insight, sir. And I appreciate it. I have managed to find a number of jobs through various agencies that will soon be receiving my application, but I'm fully aware competition will be tough. I'm moving almost purely for musical reasons so, essentially, a job will serve one purpose for me - to pay rent. So a shitty retail job may suffice to begin with to let me settle in. Though I'd obviously quite like a similar income to what I get now (not that it's massive of course) because I've become accustomed to it. But it's far from important.

Guest idol_wild
bear in mind that what you make just now might well not stretch as far down here. Edinburgh's not a cheap place to live. :)

When did you move down? Aberdeen is horrendously expensive! Isn't it one of the top ten most expensive cities to live in the entire UK?

I'm seeking suitable recruitment agencies/job resources in Edinburgh. I'm trained with nearly 2 years experience in quality assurance/management systems (I can develop and implement entire systems to pretty much any industry) and health and safety co-ordination. Ideally, I'd like to continue with this avenue, . :up:

Have you got qualifications in HSE ie, Nebosh cert or diploma,

the certificate will help you get your foot in the door, and if youve been working with health and safety, then companies will like seeing that on your CV.

Plenty of jobs still available in HSE and money is good, but only down side is that you can be hated in your company!!! and it can be very dull some days!!!

Guest idol_wild

the certificate will help you get your foot in the door, and if youve been working with health and safety, then companies will like seeing that on your CV.

Plenty of jobs still available in HSE and money is good, but only down side is that you can be hated in your company!!! and it can be very dull some days!!!

My previous employer committed to putting me through my NEBOSH diploma. But they went into liquidation, sadly. I have a CITB qualification in health and safety, though. I know getting my NEBOSH is an excellent idea, so it's on the cards. I just need to find a way of financing it - it's not cheap.

Being a QHSE guy, I am accustomed to being frowned upon by almost everyone else in the company but deep down they know that without me in place doing my job, they wouldn't achieve half the tenders they win, because quality and health and safety standards are something all contractors assess and take into consideration. So the sales guys won't get their commission if good quality and health and safety plans, policies and procedures aren't in place. ;)

The operational side of the business, however, hate me and my meddling ways! :up:

Guest idol_wild

Can you recommend any resources for pin-pointing these jobs?

Confirmation that Aberdeen has the highest council tax in Scotland:

BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | Scotland's council tax bills 2009

I don't really know about rents and stuff, but I'm fairly certain they are lower as well. Don't go out an awful lot, but pubs seem to be the same kind of price as Aberdeen. Buses are a good bit cheaper due to the competition.

This is a good place to try, generally very large companies with offices nationwide.

Health & Safety Jobs

decent site for info too.

If you are looking to complete your nebosh, then i highly recommend going straight for the diploma, the certificate might be enough to get your foot in the door but the diploma is the daddy! but i do agree with you, it is very expensive! but worth it in the long run.

I work offshore, so if that was an area you would look at, then i could certainly point you in the right direction. I work 4 on 4 off, but there are many jobs out there which only involve a week max on the instalation you are inspecting, normally less.

Shop around online before doing your nebosh, because there can be variations in the price.

Guest idol_wild
If you were recently made unemployed you should check with Job Center Plus about funding for your course, as they recently got funding from the Scottish Government/Europe for such things.

Even if it was not recent might be worth asking the question anyway.

Appreciated, but I have picked up employment since my previous employer went into liquidation. :up:

I found Careers Scotland - For all your career advice needs useful. They gave me a list of local employment agencies and their specialities amongst other things. It might be worth getting in touch with them.

There's lots of letting agents round here, looking out my window I can see signs for ELS (ELS - Edinburgh Letting Solutions - Home) and Murray and Currie.ESPC as someone mentioned as well. There are certain areas to steer clear of though, sighthill, niddry and southside are three that spring to mind immediately, unless you're planning on buying a stab-vest.