aberdeen-music

Experimental Music prior to 2004? 70's and 80's and 90's ?

prof_lofi

Hi everyone,

I'm writing a small article on the experimental music scene in Aberdeen but I'm really only aware of what's been going on here since 2004 (when I arrived)...can anyone let me know what was going on before then? By experimental, I mean everything from the academic electroacoustic side of things to free improv, sound installations, live electronics, etc.

If there was nothing, fine, but I don't want to miss something simply because it wasn't documented etc.

thanks...

Bill

ps...I'm aware of Pete Stollery's work, as well as Mark Lawton.

Hey guys,

Thanks for those, I wish some of this was documented better but you know, this stuff hardly ever is when it's underground etc. I know of FOUND and Noma (though they're both Glasgow/Edinburgh nowdays) but didn't know about ST etc. I'll see what I can dig up and add even though the article's not really a long one etc.

Bill

Hey guys,

Thanks for those, I wish some of this was documented better but you know, this stuff hardly ever is when it's underground etc. I know of FOUND and Noma (though they're both Glasgow/Edinburgh nowdays) but didn't know about ST etc. I'll see what I can dig up and add even though the article's not really a long one etc.

Bill

scrotal tunic probably aren't very well documented. it was john cromar(noma), adam cresser, donnie gloag, alan sinclair and a couple of other people(think neish from eric euan did a gig or two). adam cresser and alan sinclair do noise stuff in glasgow as well now but i can't remember the names they go under.

clive ravensby featured members of copy haho and a few others. rf scott who posts on here was in them.

the fear of jazz nights were run by delicate awol.

Hey Bill

Found started in Aberdeen, Ziggy et al. all met up at Grays school of art and started music together there. I think they started doing music at their degree show where they recorded and played random samples: Random Audio Therapy Unit. Not sure when that was, but I think maybe about 2002?

Jayne

Delicate AWOl, of course...I know Caro but I missed their gigging days...I'll put some stuff in there...the articles really more of an overview of what's on now, but there is a 'what came before' section and I'd like to at least give a passing reference to prominent people if i can. thanks guys...and thanks jayne, i'm good friends with the found boys (my second gig here in 2004 was with them!) so they've got a mention, as do you Alan :), and IMP as well as local pushers that sometimes stray over the line into experimental-ville.

Oooh...I'm chuffed to get a mention :)

I was trying to think back to anything vaguely experimental I attended in the past, and I remembered there used to be a local organisation in the 70s called Platform which put on jazz gigs nearer the experimental end of the spectrum (I saw Mike Gibbs and Lol Coxhill in Aberdeen thanks to them).