aberdeen-music

The Office

Guest treader.

i loved the office but prefer extras (only just mind).

i agree about the bbc letting their comedy standards slip, there seems to be an awful lot of new poor comedies on bbc3 at the moment - massive was just about watchable, coming of age is plain awful (though one suspects i am not the target audience!!!). gavin and stacey was good stuff mind, the critics were right on that one.

i'll be condemned for writing this but i have a soft spot for My Family. me coat is got.

Gotta have The Royle Family there!

Absolutely! The only sitcom that comes close to The Office for me. Brilliantly funny, fantastically written and acted and genuinely moving. It's a fantastic portrayal of British working-class life without ever getting trite or patronising, I don't think Craig Cash and Caroline Aherne have ever got the full credit they deserve for that programme. Particularly if you think there was nothing like the Royle Family that came before it, it was hugely brave of both Aherne/Cash and the BBC to have such a 'lo-fi' comedy in that particular time period.

Absolutely! The only sitcom that comes close to The Office for me. Brilliantly funny, fantastically written and acted and genuinely moving. It's a fantastic portrayal of British working-class life without ever getting trite or patronising, I don't think Craig Cash and Caroline Aherne have ever got the full credit they deserve for that programme. Particularly if you think there was nothing like the Royle Family that came before it, it was hugely brave of both Aherne/Cash and the BBC to have such a 'lo-fi' comedy in that particular time period.

There really was literally nothing at all like it before. I remember being bemused by it the first time I watched it before discovering its greatness. It paved the way for 'no-real-plot' comedies that have become mainstream, the type that find comedy in the complete mundane. I certainly don't think The Office could've happened without The Royle Family.

I got the box-set recently, re-packaged with the fairly new Special, by god its a tearjerker.

Guest treader.

The rant about Def Leppard is fucking brilliant.

"Let's name ourselves after a fierce beast, like a leopard. But let's take it back a bit, not come on too strong and give it a disability. Yes, I know, let's make it deaf! and then worst of all, let's fucking spell it wrong"

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bob Double Jack

i thought the office was fantastic, and very close to the bone. brilliantly written, brilliantly acted. the christmas specials were amazingly good, with brent's desperate chase to be a minor celebrity, the bit in the club with howard from the HBOS ads was superb. i could go on, but wont, to save boring you all.

blackadder was awesome as well. the final episode of series 4 is some of the best comedy done on british telly ever.

fact.

Hearing that there's a new Royle Family special on this Christmas was the best news of the week. With some comedies you would be a bit trepidatious that they were spinning it out too far, (I give you the last few Only Fools & Horses as an example), but such is the consistant quality of the writing on TRF that I've no doubt at allthat it'll be the highlight of the Christmas schedules.

I remember asking a friend if they'd seen the Royle Family and they said they'd seen it once, "it was the one when they're all sitting on the settee watching tv"