aberdeen-music

The Fall at The Lemon Tree

Mothership

seen The Fall loads of times & have dozens of CDs by them. However, spending the best part of 25 quid in the hope that the "eager to perform" MES turns up in a venue that I'm not particulary fond of is pushing it.

Sigh...oh well.

I wont be posting again about this gig -and as i said in the other thread im just the messenger and not the promoter so i dont set ticket prices etc.

Im just in charge of doing our bit to promote the show.

To anyone who is coming, hope they enjoy the show.

Sigh...oh well.

I wont be posting again about this gig -and as i said in the other thread im just the messenger and not the promoter so i dont set ticket prices etc.

Im just in charge of doing our bit to promote the show.

To anyone who is coming, hope they enjoy the show.

Sorry, I'm not getting at you - I appreciate you're only doing a job. I hope it all goes well from your point of view.

It's just that at 20-odd quid & the notoriosly erratic MES makes the gig a bit of a gamble. Personally, I can't be bothered, on a Sunday night, waiting for him to appear at 11:45, as happened at the LT a while back. And I've never seen them play for more than an hour either.

The promotor and the band need to rethink the cost in future, IMHO.

Saying that, I'll probably be sitting on Sunday night with a tinge of regret that I didn't go.

I'm the same, hiking all the way into town and committing to a 30 quid taxi fare home for an ultimate let-down is pish and I'm not willing to do it again.

The 2-nighter at the Tunnels was great (despite the constant f**king about with amps, turning them off completely, etc) and led to me recommending them to one of my mates who came with me to the Lemon Tree. Great, I looked like a right c**t. Luckily I have an understanding mate.

Sorry, I'm not getting at you - I appreciate you're only doing a job. I hope it all goes well from your point of view.

It's just that at 20-odd quid & the notoriosly erratic MES makes the gig a bit of a gamble. Personally, I can't be bothered, on a Sunday night, waiting for him to appear at 11:45, as happened at the LT a while back. And I've never seen them play for more than an hour either.

The promotor and the band need to rethink the cost in future, IMHO.

Saying that, I'll probably be sitting on Sunday night with a tinge of regret that I didn't go.

No worries mate.

I understand.

Ah well, if i can handle almost being beaten to death by the band Mayhem, im sure i can handle Mark E Smith...i hope.

It came to my mind that the negative reviews of the actual gig at The Lemon Tree made it a bad choice of thread to advertise in rather than any qualms about The LT itself, but I didn't bother posting words to that effect, I would imagine this is perhaps what the young lady was alluding to....I suppose it just depends how keen you are to spunk 20 quid on Mark E Smith's unpredictability and see if the 'every 2nd show' theory is correct...personally I'm going to give it a miss after the last joke....

That's exactly what I meant :up:

That myth is only applied to aberdeen gigs.

Last nights reviews were terrible

The Fall online forum -> Studio 24, Edinburgh

Most of them seemed pretty tolerant of their short set and MES leaving early.

In fact, a lot of Fall fans accept that as "part of their charm". What utter bullshit! I would take it up personally with the band afterwards if they did that! MES especially seems like an utter, unprofessional cunt of an absolute loser.

By all accounts we were worried about tonight after the reports of Edinburgh saturday night but as opposed to saturday nights events the band played a full hour plus tonight with a 1 song encore.

The set was: Y.F.O.C; Over, Over; Cowboy George; Bury; I've been Duped; Slippy Floor; Chino; Wolf Kidult Man; Weather Report; Hot Cake; Funnel of Love; Reformation; Sparta F.C.

Band seemed on good form and crowd seemed very happy with the set also.

The guys from the band and Mark E Smith also said they really enjoyed it and thanked us for having them with a bottle of champagne to us as a gift!

Totally inverted my expectations and despite 1 moment when he left the stage and i feared he wouldnt come back the set seemed to go without hitch.

Anyone go have any thoughts?

Reviews online seem to be really positive:

The Fall online forum -> Warehouse, Aberdeen, 25th April

At the end of the day, it's still shit to be surprised when a band/band member actually bothers their arse to perform what they've been paid for. Let's give them a pat on the back. :down:

I totally agree.It is ridiculous. Although i do find MES's attitude and motivation to gig/ reaction to crowd totally fascinating. Almost like Bob Dylan for openly not caring about the audience (which he admits in every interview). But last night he seemed to be on good form - smiling and clapping along and generally causing havoc (turning guitarists amp on/off/ turning keyboards up/down/singing from behind the speakers etc).

I spent most of last night shitting it every time MES put his mic back on the stand that he was going to walk off. And it seemed that he constantly when not signing was looking for his jacket - which he put on halfway through- i thought oh fuck-then he just carried on for another 6 songs - thankfully.

The keyboard player (his wife i believe) had a handbag on for the duration of the set which at the start made me worry they werent staying for long! He did leave the stage twice but he returned soon enough.

All in all though, good night - the fall faithful all seemed to have a good time and compared to Edinburgh (where people were robbing the merch stand on the way out as they felt so cheated) we were in luck.

It was an admittedly expensive ticket especially given the last visits events putting everyone off - which is now whatll happen in Edinburgh on their next visit - I doubt well see them again for a long time.