aberdeen-music

what a great point about so called "emo"

Guest highroller

Guest highroller

ive always loved lester burnham...i rate her points of view and opinions highly and in another thread re "emo" she made this post which ALOT of people would do well to read...espesh the "emo" bashing metal heads who think what they do of MMW....here its is! Although i love metallica so i disagree with her there.....

"To be honest I prefer Funeral For a Friend *or insert other emo band if FFAF aren't emo by your standards* to Metallica. I'd hardly say I was emo. I'm obsessive about vocalists though, and despite the fact that appreciate Metallica for their skill and song writing ability, the vocalist just irritates me.... "hey hey hey... I have a grindy voice and am a big scary beardy bastards.... hey hey hey"

I actually like the melodic vocals that appear in, "emo" through the chaos and screams come a voice of beauty (sometimes... if they can sing) and that appeals to me vastly.

So I'm actually siding with the emo kids here.

Actually in reference to local bands.... I went to see My Mind's Weapon the other week, and I thought they were quite enjoyable... the guitarist I would say was more metal than anything... the drummer was pretty much hardcore based from what I observed and the vocals had the combination of screams and melody. Aren't they classed as "Emo"? I quite liked them anyway. A lot heavier than most local stuff I've heard."

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Monk Rocker:

Disagree about Hetfields vocals, though. The man is a great singer.

I don't deny his talents, it just doesn't appeal to me. I am aware that it's pretty god damn difficult to immitate his vocal style.

So I do appreaciate the skill, just not to my personal tastes.

Guest highroller

No camie cos i want people to see someones view that a)isnt friends at all with the band b)is in another local band c)is a good musician themself and d)isnt into the "style of music" we are doing....

Its her last point that i like the best....

Guest Tooms

good post

and yeah i definately prefer the "emo" vocal stylings to the "metal" vocal stylings with only a few exceptions...Killswitch engage being one (jesse or howard).

Originally posted by Ben Quik:

No camie cos i want people to see someones view that a)isnt friends at all with the band b)is in another local band c)is a good musician themself and d)isnt into the "style of music" we are doing....

Its her last point that i like the best....

Thanks,

I was just being honest about the band. I wouldn't class myself as a huge hardcore/emo/metal fan in anyway. I'm more into post punk or dance underground stuff from the late 70's/early 80's. E.g: Gang of Four, Cabaret Voltaire, Devo etc.

I just try not to be narrow minded with my taste and restrict myself to one genre.

And I wouldn't say I was *that* skilled a musician X-(

Guest highroller
Originally posted by Camie:

Alright Ben I see what you mean. Me and Stephen spoke about this before and you cant really put MMW as there are many different stylings in your songs.

Boom...what a post!!

Nailed it!!

Guest pop-notmyface

i think its time that people drop the subject. i mean, "bashing" a genre is such a thing of yesterday (not literally though). for example, only ignorant people still go on about how shit pop-punk is and the likes of Good Charlotte.

Originally posted by pop-notmyface:

i think its time that people drop the subject. i mean, "bashing" a genre is such a thing of yesterday (not literally though). for example, only ignorant people still go on about how shit pop-punk is and the likes of Good Charlotte.

hear hear.

Originally posted by Cloud:

pop punk can be ace. nothing beats it when driving along at some stupid speed and singing it in an absurd voice :D

I must agree.... though usually when I'm in a car these day's... its Defects... so its usually random Japanese punk.

Try singing that. It's mucho fun!

Originally posted by Lester Burnham:

I must agree.... though usually when I'm in a car these day's... its Defects... so its usually random Japanese punk.

Try singing that. It's mucho fun!

I'll give it a shot :D

Japanese music is brilliant to sing along with in general though :)

Originally posted by Cloud:

I'll give it a shot :D

Japanese music is brilliant to sing along with in general though :)

Oh yeah,

I got a wee stash of free demo's from Japanese bands at south by southwest. All fantastic. It's even better when they try to sing English lyrics and pronounce the words wrong.

I :love: Japan!